Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ramblers San Francisco

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skeezix, Jul 22, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

After I added this to my other thread I started looking for more info about the club on the cast sign mounted on the firewall. Any information about the Ramblers SF ?
    I searched here and google

dana barlow likes this.
  2. unkamort

unkamort

Bump... Because I have a general interest in the subject of old SF clubs

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The roadster in that picture is, in all probability, the blue roadster pictured on the left. My roadster was Rudy Mortensen's S.F. Ramblers, "Valley Auto Special" in 1958 when Rudy set the "C/FR" record at Bonneville. I have the Car Craft magazine with coverage of the meet and the roadster is pictured there. I also saved a Half Moon Bay Drags program from '58 in which Rudy and Roadster are pictured. I do know at least one guy who was a kid then but knew Rudy and has a large involvement with the roadster before it became mine.

Stogy likes this.
  4. So what happened to the group?

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

6. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Would that be the same Valley Auto Supply that was on Bayshore Boulevard in San Francisco?
    I remember one of the counter guys was named Rudy...

7. roundvalley

roundvalley

I was close to San Fransico in the 50's and remember seeing some of the Ramblers cars. There was a Model A with ribbed bumpers in one of the little magazines.
    I knew one of the members and last seen him in the 80's. I saw a picture of him on the beach with his roadster pickup in the 50's. I can't remember his full name but I think it was George S--------? In the 80's he had a '32 Ford 2 dr. that was ass ended in San Francisco. He also owned 2 very large dogs.
    I write this for a bump. There have to be someone with more Info. Some of the old Andy's Picnic guys most know.

8. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I think TRJ did a story on SF rodders of the '40s and '50s a few years ago? In the story was a postwar Ford coupe with a Hemi and the valve cover rocker reliefs were made from silver serving spoons.

9. unkamort

unkamort

If you are thinking about the store across from the lock factory... closed around 10 years ago. There is a French guy with a Land Rover shop there now.

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

This article is all I could find in my stuff right now.....Hot Rod magazine Dec 1951....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HEMI32 likes this.
  11. unkamort

unkamort

WOW! nice car! Check out those front tires...

Stogy likes this.
  12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Looks like the Sunset District judging by the Doelger homes in the background.

13. roundvalley

roundvalley

Bump. There has to be someone out there that can help with Info.

14. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

We have definitely done stuff including the Ramblers in previous issues, but we will have a more definitive story coming up that Jeano Icardi has been doing a lot of research on for us.

Soon enough.

Thanks,
    Geoff

15. I bought these mags off George Zaft who was a Ramblers member.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is George's A roadster chassis at the 1951 National Roadster Show.
    [​IMG]

Street trim
    [​IMG]

George at Bonneville in 1951. George ran 132.352mph for 19th in class C mod roadster. George's partner at Bonneville was Aquilino I can't find my notes with his first name
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fred Zaft's '32 at a Cal-Neva event '50-'51. Just noticed George's '47 Convert in the background.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  16. According to this '50s listing of San Francisco Car Clubs:

SF Car Clubs in the '50s.jpg

... the Ramblers address was 338 Brazil St.:

Google Street View of 338 Brazil Ave SF (pink garage door).JPG

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  17. when I was a teenager in San Francisco I lived on Green Street in north beach. I lived across the street from Ramblers club member Joe Carlomagno, he had a chopped 1932 3 window coupe, bobbed rear fenders, cycle type front fenders, beige colored, striped by Tommy the Greek, powered by a hot flathead. once a week club members Howard Leever, and Fred Esser came to Joe's house to shoot pool. their Bonneville roadster was featured in May, 1958 hot Rod magazine, I understand the car is now restored to it's racing glory. I was the gopher for those 3 guys. occasionally club member Tommy Salvino showed up with his Pontiac powered channeled 1932 5 window, also club member John Adams ? with his white,1932 full fendered 5 window coupe. We used to go to Mel's drive in for club meetings on Thursdays, they had great pies. we also used to go to Half Moon Bay drag strip to run some of the cars. I also knew Walt Fulmer, and his father, both were club members. Little did I know how much knowing those guys would influence my life, I am now 70 years old, and drive a channelled 1931 Ford roadster on a 1932 Ford chassis, powered by a 1955, no oil filter, 265" small block Chevy, chromed 1932 Ford rear end, chromed, dropped 1932 Ford front axle, the roadster has a lot of patina, and it's the real deal. it was built in the late 50's. a genuine survivor. I would very much like to get an original Ramblers car club plaque to mount on the wall in rememberence of those days, and those guys. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks, nick. < [email protected] >

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Stogy, 30tudor and plan9 like this.
  18. @nickthebandit -

Your post is a perfect example of why I dig this place so much!

Thanks for sharing your memories with us!

It wouldn't be an original, but you might check with Dennis O'Brien (@59BuickWagon) to see if he has the original pattern for the "RAMBLERS S.F." plaque:

Ramblers_SF.jpg

If so, Dennis could cast one up for you ... just click HERE to access his website.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  19. Afraid I don't have the pattern for that one Nick:(

Stogy likes this.
  20. roundvalley

roundvalley

Found the old member I was searching for. GEORGE SALOMINE . I have his telephone number if anyone is interested. He still has '32 Fords and going on runs. He should know all about the Ramblers.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Wow! ... Seems like I learn something new on the HAMB every day ...

George Solimine Sr. was an old Hot Rodding friend of my fathers (they met in the '60s when George was a member of the Bay Area Roadsters) ... but I never knew he had also been a member of the "RAMBLERS S.F." Car Club.

George was from South San Francisco and therefore I assumed that he would have been a member of the "PACERS Daly City" Car Club (with Jim McLennan, Andy Brizio, etc.).

Here's a couple of Andy Southard Jr. photos of George's old rides:

George Solimine - '29 RPU (photo by Andy Southard Jr.).jpg
    George Solimine - '32 3wd (photo by Andy Southard Jr.).jpg

NOTE: I believe HAMBer @Sixcarb currently owns George's old RPU:

HAMBer Sixcarb's '29 RPU (old George Solimine car).jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  22. derelict

derelict

Georges son, George. lives in Modesto with one of Srs. '32 Tubs. Jr. posts on here sometimes, it think...

Stogy likes this.
  23. DropTopD

DropTopD

My dad is George Solimine. He was never in the ramblers, but hung out with them. He lives in So. S.F. now, but grew up in SF a block off mission. He still has the coupe, and it's the same sans a dropped h/l bar and chrome merc rims. The sedan that got punched in the rear also still resides in his garage. Now he,s building a roadster.And he STILL eats, sleeps, breathes, builds and drives 32 Fords. Geoff from rodders journal should recognize his name, that's his six deuce manifold holding those new carbs in the 32nd issue. And my sedan is in the same edition.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    Budget36, Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  24. vagabond88

vagabond88

My Dad and two uncles were founding "oringinal" members of the Ramblers . I have a picture or two takin on there first car run .The Club won the Oakland roadster -AMBER trophy in 1951 or 52 . Jack Anderson was his name ... I still have his car plaque put away somewhere...Larry Anderson / Vagabond Dragster.......

Budget36 and Stogy like this.
  25. Very cool! ... It would be great if you could scan those pics and share them with us here :)

It was 1952 ... the Ramblers entered seven cars in the '52 show ... and came away with just as many awards ... Among them was Bud Crackbon, club president, winning the America's Most Beautiful Roadster with his '25 Model T Roadster Pickup:

1952 AMBR - Bud Crackbon '25 T RPU.jpg
    The car has survived ... and is supposedly being restored:

1952 AMBR - Bud Crackbon '25 T RPU - Grass Valley, March 2012.jpg
    1952 AMBR - Bud Crackbon '25 T RPU interior - Grass Valley, March 2012 .jpg
    1952 AMBR - Bud Crackbon '25 T RPU front - Grass Valley, March 2012.jpg
    1952 AMBR - Bud Crackbon '25 T RPU rear - Grass Valley, March 2012.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  26. Neat

Poverty leaves an impression

Stogy likes this.
  27. vagabond88

vagabond88

Yep that's the one ! .. If you look at the picture from the awards . My Dad is the tall one in the center ... Ever seen a picture of there jackets ? ...I'd love to see one if anyone has one ...Larry

Stogy likes this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bud "Flathead" Jones in San Jose was a charter member of the Ramblers. He was at the first Bonneville meet with the Ramblers, in fact he painted a large oil rendering from a photo of some (most) of the cars attending.
    Bud owned/built the salmon pink channeled '27 'Nose Job' roadster that he towed behind the matching '57 Chrysler 392 Letter Car, ran Fremont ('Baylands') between '77 and '85.
    Roadster ran in street trim, turned 112 consistently. 276 C.I. 59 A-B.
    Nose, hood, and belly pan by Jack Hagemann, Jr.

29. vagabond88

vagabond88

Does anyone have contact info on Bud ? .. Grass Valley is only a few miles from where I live . I'd like to make contact with him ....Larry Anderson

30. manhugos my bitch

manhugos my bitch
    from nor cal

Great old pictures.

Stogy likes this.