Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960's Vintage Dragster Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hammeredcoupe, Sep 28, 2009.

1. trksmth

trksmth

Thanks for all the invites! I'm looking forward to making it to each of these events, in the next two years, if we can. I have dreamed of taking in each event with our cars. Thanks again.
    Mike

2. 33 ply 440

33 ply 440
    from mn

3. trksmth

trksmth

Yaaa, life's a drag!

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

WOW! I saw the first few original posts and then somehow didn't reconnect with this thread til this morning. Really, really cool!!!!!!!!

5. MODELMIKE

MODELMIKE

[​IMG]
    Just found this thread. Can't believe this car survived. Might be to late to show this pic I found. Looks like the same car. WOW!

6. tomjac

tomjac

Fantastic picture find. Mike is going to love it. Is there any more info on when/where pic was taken etc?

I did a little looking and this photo is on GasserMadness.com . There is little info about it, but the heading for the photos says IOWA DRAG RACING, so it's a good guess the photo was taken on an Iowa dragstrip. You gotta thank Jim Farnsworth and GasserMadness for helping to keep this history.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  7. trksmth

trksmth

Please tell me you have more info on this car! That is it! Yes the car was raced in Iowa. But what year could it be from? The car was red in 1962, painted blue/green in '63 I was told and this was the pictures of it red. But no chrome?

Attached Files:

8. trksmth

trksmth

If you look at the pictures of it blue, they changed the headers and you'll see the chrome on it. I've never seen pictures of it red with the chrome. Thanks for posting the picture! Mike

Attached Files:

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Wow.....that is so cool to find the old pics!

10. This is killer im glad you got to see more pics from back in the day .
    I would love to find something like this now. I had Billy The Kids 48 Fiat
    and wish I had it back !! You did a great job!!!

11. MODELMIKE

MODELMIKE

I love these old dragsters. I was just doing some research on a similiar type car when I came across this pic on Gassermadness. I had no idea about your story or that the car was even still around. That was a couple days ago and yesterday while I was "googleing" somemore I came across your story by coincidence and I remembered the pic I saw that looked like the same car. What do your know it was. Love your videos and pics and what a great story (and find). One thing though, according to that pic there looks like a '66? Ford push-car behind it. That means it wasn't painted any earlier than the year of the cars in the picture. Maybe you'll get some more clues out the pic. Hope it helps some. Good luck!

12. trksmth

trksmth

Ya, Mike the car was said to be race till '66 and in this picture, in the pits in Iowa, I think that's the same push car sitting next to it. Could it be a 1965 Ford?
    Only I was told it was painted by Skeeter from Iowa in 1963. But you have a good point if the push car is newer. Thanks for taking the time to post the pic. Mike

Attached Files:

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

I just spent the last hour or so going through this thread page by page
    like the others have said dont change a thing on this car

but its got me thinking that the ha/gr class needs to allow small block 283's and 327's
    as long as they are carbed

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

15. trksmth

trksmth

That sounds like a great idea! Mike

16. titus

titus

look at 2:41 in the video, its your car!

Maybe you seen it maybe not!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  17. trksmth

trksmth

WOW! Good eye jeff! Now that's what we need, is to find the history before the Thumpers. I know this car has another story before the Thumpers. Hope this can get to the right people and can jar some memory's

I seen the white walls turned in when we got it and I thought it may have had whites out. Now we have the proof.

I watched it close ten times, now I want to know what engine it is running.

What color it is, white or gray primer?

What track is it on and what year?

Hope to find more info.

Thanks Mike

18. tomjac

tomjac

I fiddled with the video of the coupe a little. I slowed it down and lightened it a bit so it would be easier to see. Here it is..

<a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 420"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwikJEsCX1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 420"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwikJEsCX1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwikJEsCX1g" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

19. tomjac

tomjac

The 'uploader' of the video with the comp coupe has a another video. After looking at it, it seems to show same look as the 'coupe' video and same structures. I noticed at one point it appears that MINNESOTA DRAGWAYS shows near the track. My guess is that the comp coupe video was probably shot at MN Dragways as well.

20. trksmth

trksmth

Thanks Tom, for taking the time to edit and brake down the video, sure makes it easier to view it. Mike

21. You are one lucky son of a gun.

22. tomjac

tomjac

I was looking through the July issue of Linechaser. There is an article about legendary car artist Dave Bell (RIP). It says he was a member of Thumpers Car Club and shows a copy of his members card. I don't recall seeing this mentioned previously in the thread...so I thought I'd pass it along.

You have to wonder if there might be a drawing of the 'coupe' lurking in his portfolio of work.

Here is link to article about Bell's link to Austin, MN and Thumpers Club.

http://www.austindailyherald.com/2012/05/16/renown-automotive-artist-with-austin-ties-dies-at-72/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  23. trksmth

trksmth

I heard there was art work of this car, before I had Sinclair do it for me. Maybe someone else can answer this better. So sorry to hear this, RIP. Mike

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  24. tomjac

tomjac

If there's anything new on the coupe, let us know. Has it been to a track this year?

25. trksmth

trksmth

We ran it again July 6th at the Hot Rod Drag and we are running it again August 3rd at the Hot Rod Drags in Glyndon, Mn. Got about 8 passes and still getting use to it. Only the 1/8 mile. Hope to get some pics & videos posted soon. Mike

26. If you get a chance next year, you should come out to the Meltdown drags in Byron IL. Your car would fit right in.

27. trksmth

trksmth

That's been on my To Do List! Thanks for the invite, hope to make it there and meet all you guys! Sounds like a blast and I've been watching all your posts about the the Meltdown Drags. Mike

28. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

you come down to the meltdown next year your invited to eat with the TWISTED PISTONS, at the big end,,, we pit at the big end about 7 or 8 race cars and put on a pretty nice spread of vittles and fixens and would be glad to have you come by for some lunch

29. trksmth

trksmth

Thanks Big Vic, I'll try and make it!