Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bondo dries quick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 302aod, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ob1

Ob1

Evercoat Quantum has hot and cold hardeners.

2. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

I love walks on the beach, fine wine & poking dead things with a stick

Have you been dating my ex-wife!!!!!!!!!!!

3. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

2% by volume is all that is needed for hardener.

4. No offense intended. People have touched on it but never really said it... Bondo does not "dry", it cures. Two very different things.

5. i worked at a body shop once and the guys were putting what they called 'honey' in the bondo mix. i do not know what exactly it was but i was told that you put some in there in order to keep the bondo from drying in hot weather. the hotter it was the more they used in the mix and vise versa when it was not hot they did nt even have to put any in. cant remember the name but they call it 'honey'.. looked syrupy like honey and came in can

6. <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by chaos10meter [​IMG]
    Had an old body shop guy tell me to add a couple drops of fiberglass hardener to the Bondo mix .
    He said it will keep it open a bit longer & give a little more work time ?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Do you mean fiberglass resin, and not hardener?

maybe thats what i mean lol...
    <!-- / message -->

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Good advice to work in the shade or out of the sun, and to use less hardener. Also do a smaller amount of fill, like one dent at a time. It only takes a minute to file the bondo down if you catch it at just the right time. As long as you don't put on too large of an area.

8. The "Honey" they were referring to is actually labled as a bondo thinner,believe it's actually fibre glass resin,looks,smells and tastes like it !!!! It will give you a little more work time plus will spread easier,provided you decrease your hardener somewhat. If you think your filler is trying too fast. Wait till you use your glazing putty,drys twice as fast as your filler does. I've had better luck using either one early early in the morning or later in the evening when it cools down a bunch.

9. That sounds about right... Resin, it works great to help it from curing and to spread much more evenly

10. As has been mentioned Evercoat makes a filler (Quantum) that has different speed hardeners. The slow one gives you twice as much working time as regular hardeners at any given temperature and as an added bonus it sands about twice as fast.

11. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

The rule is, squeeze one stripe of hardner the width of, or across your blob of filler. mix it in.

12. swissmike

swissmike

Don't vary the amount of hardener! It will result in incompletely catalized filler.

13. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Just dont mix it with your hands... :D.. I seen a guy do that once up here... a whole gallon in a wash Bucket with the hardner applied..

14. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I've added it to improve 'flow'... it does cure slower too.

15. Dave Zapatka

Dave Zapatka

This works Great ! 20% slower Good Luck !

16. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Using less hardener worked great. Mine cures with air bubbles in it when you sand it, then you have to spread some more to finish the job. Any fixes for this? Thanks and I've learned a lot on here.

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

If it's too hot to use Bondo,..it's too hot to be working anyway...Retreat to the airconditioned climes of the house ! (It's 99 here, at the moment)

4TTRUK

18. More pressure when you are applying the product. Really push the first swipe into the metal. You still may be using too much hardener. What you are getting are called pinholes and the number one cause of them is too much hardener as the chemical reaction heats up the air that is trapped in the filler and causes it to expand and then your filler cures too quickly and traps the air.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The way you mix it can make pinholes, as well. Don't "stir" it. Fold it onto itself, constantly scraping the bottom, and putting it on top, and pushing down and across.
    If you get my drift!

20. That's the best way I know how.. Works every time