Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Car Won't Lower... HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Jul 8, 2012.

1. So I finally got around to trying to lower my 1956 Ford Customline. I had a set of 3" aluminum blocks, air shocks, and an air lift compressor. I had already mounted the compressor, wiring, air lines and air lift gauge a while back with help from a hot rod/kustom builder. So I just needed to put my blocks in and new shocks in.

I jacked the car up and took everything apart. I put in the blocks and put in the new shocks and let the car back down. My girl friend and I both agreed the car didn't look lower at all.

I had her play with the air buttons and me squat down to look at the ass end of the car.

It seemed to have moved a tiny tiny bit but not much. After texting Norton Grimm (on the HAMB) back and fourth we decided to scrap the air shocks and I should just put my regular shocks back in.

So I jacked the car up ripped out the lines and replaced the shocks. I know had the original ones that were always on the car in.

So I set the car back down and the girl friend and I both had a look. Wow, it was like I did nothing at all. It was maybe a hair lower but you couldn't really notice at all. I don't think it moved down much if anything at all.

The leaf springs are really low now and you can see them through the side profile of the car and you couldn't before. So basically the leafs look low as s*** but the body doesn't.

I have seen lots of '55-'56 Fords with 3" blocks and they look great.

I'm wondering if maybe I need to reverse my shackles, or the angle of my shocks is forcing the car to not lower? I have no idea?

Any suggestions? I can get pictures if needed.

2. henry29

henry29

Can you post a pic of the rear shackles?

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Yep. Shackles reversed when it was jacked up

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. Bingo.

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

What they said.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

x2...

7. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Sounds like you repositioned the rear shackels. The spring should be in the same position as previously. The blocks raise the rear end thus lowering the car.

8. I have never touched the shackles before and to be honest I'm not even 100% sure which part they are. Can anyone post pictures or let me know how to do it? Thanks!

9. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Its what the springs attach to in the rear of the springs. if the spring is lower than the shackle that would be your problem

10. Okay so it's 11:25 P.M. here and pitch black and I have no garage so I can get some daylight photos tomorrow. In the meantime here are some pictures...

[​IMG]
    This is before I tightened everything down and just had the block in place.

[​IMG]
    This is when I first did everything with the air shocks in.

[​IMG]
    Then I re-did everything with the regular shocks

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic underneath that was taken when I was all finished. This is also how it looks now

I can get better pics of everything tomorrow. Thanks a lot! I was so pissed off when I dropped the car down to find out it wasn't lowered:eek:

11. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Yup the shakles are flipped! See them on the third picture down.

12. It could be te shocks too. They may be too long and are bottomed out.

13. cakes

cakes

Its the shackles being flipped, You may have to remove them to flip them back over, not too big a deal

14. Is there a thread on here or pictures of how I would have to reverse the shackles? Would I have to take the leaf springs out? Not 100% sure how to execute reversing the shackles. Thanks!

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Put it back up in the air, put stands under the frame, undo the shocks and drop the axle down as far as it will go. Then push both shackles forward and up with pry bars while jacking the axle back up. After that, reattach the shocks and be safe while doing so.

16. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

wrong (trailor towing camper shackle position)
    [​IMG]
    right (ass end down hot rod)
    [​IMG]
    dont worry it took me a minute or two as well, but once its done it is worth it

17. Thanks guys! Norton Grimm and Speedy Canuck are coming over tonight to thrash on my '56. We are going to reverse the shackles and put some Aerostar coils in! Pics to come!

18. ...I was only coming over to drink your beer and bullshit. :rolleyes:

19. Priceless !

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you are going to have to work for the beer now:D

Michael, we used to have shackles on some cars flip over when we had the car up on a single post hoist with the tires and axle hanging down. When you had the car blocked up by the frame with the axle hanging down is probably when it happened. Not a biggie but it does happen once in a while.

21. You also never put out:( I have my needs:D