Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patina on a budget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLVD_Regulators, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice!:D

2. Muttley

Muttley

3. Dude, are you flipping serious? How abou you trade me your nice sheet metal for some authentic patina I've had in the shed marinating in nothing but time. Come on.

4. Wanting rust ?

Fake patina is like fake vagina
    How come those two don't rhyme ?

5. farmer12

farmer12

or drive it a little further into the sea.:D

6. Taff

Taff

here's mine, plenty of patina in the rockers, gonna cost me a lot of time and effort to remove all that patina
    swap you for your solid sheet steel?

dick

Attached Files:

7. aldixie

aldixie

Love it.

8. I love authentic wear on an old car on a limited basis. The 66 F100 I sold a while back had the perfect patina, IMHO.

95% of the original paint was in good condition and the other 5% was worn through to the primer where the original owner leaned on it, rested his arm, etc. It reminded me of a nice, comfy leather jacket.

FAKE PATINA, on the other hand, LOOKS LIKE POO.

Anyone over the age of 2 can spot it a mile away and it not only detracts from a car, but also makes you suspect that the owner might be a d-bag.

I'm painting my 54 Mainline currently and will do my best to make sure that the paint is nice over the whole car. It will acquire patina over the next 20 years because I'll be driving the crap out of it and leaning my arm on the door.

9. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Grey primer some rattle can red oxide in the wright places you can pull it off

Attached Files:

10. jhutch713

jhutch713

That pic is hilarious and its worth a thousand words.

11. Lucky444

Lucky444

Hey CurbFeeler,

LMFAO

Now: It is an excepted fact that hobo urine will provide the most elegant patina ever to grace the curvature of a Galaxies' bodywork. But, I got to say the bum piss that I can personally aquire ain't cheap. Hope you understand that I get this primo pee from only free-range homeless folks. There is even a touch of meth in the piss to give you that deep "burnt out" patina that looks so fine around the quarter panels.

12. jhutch713

jhutch713

Wow, you did pick a big old scab on this one. Alright guys, the custom car industry is all about doing what each man likes to his own car/truck, agree with it or not, that's what its all about. Agree to disagree.

If you want a fauxtina paint job, there's a good article in this ClasSix edition of Power Block Magazine its free online all you have to do is sign up. Some stuff you'll never use or even read but there's some good tech tips and tutorials in there. Here's the link: http://www.powerblocktv.com/magazine/?pub=55100 The article starts on page 32. Best of luck.

13. :d haha

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nope, now you chime in and prove to us that you just don't get what the HAMB is about. Traditional hot rods and customs as in how they were back then. Not someone's twisted interpretation. But how it was back in the mid 60's and earlier. It's not about the "custom car industry". So we have nothing to agree with you about...

15. Have Gene winfield piss on it.

16. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

In the read this before posting thread they should link these threads where idiots got flamed as a warning to buttholes who feel the need to post these questions. Our cutoff date here is 64 and even in64 that car wouldnt have has that much patina, it would be a decent used car.

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

If he does he'll block sand it and polish it before you get it back.

18. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Your gonna need this:

Attached Files:

19. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

Theres a paint that has fine steal shavings in it, modern master reactive metal paint is what it's called I think. You paint it on over paint, not primer or it will soak in. Don't paint over bare metal with it either, only paint. Then it comes with an accelerated rust promoter. It's blue, looks like windex. You can water it down a little to make it go farther but it's not as strong then. Best applied with a spray gun but watch the runs unless thats the affect you want. Keep appling until you get the shades of rust you want, wipe it down gently and then spray a satin clear over it to seal it in.
    Its custom if it's paint in my opinion but if you just want it to straight rust you are kind of nuts. The rolling bnes guys do high wear areas and flattened paint, not so much rust but it is fake. Do what you want, it's your car. But when a bunch of guys that act like jerks instead of just correcting you reminds me of the dicks in highschool that I avoided by working on cars...now they're here being dicks. Funny how that works huh? They coulda just said "thats not right, try different shades of orange and brown paint. Or maybe just study the rolling bones cars and don't do rust, just worn out". Seems a lot easier to be nice than to go out of your way to be an ass. Then you're teaching and helping the hot rod-custom car world rather than discouraging it.
    Thats just my two cents.

20. adamshumard

adamshumard

I am actually a certified patina installer with years of experience in wearing out paint. It does take extensive time and effort to do. I am more than willing to do it for a nominal fee. Without revealing trade secrets I can tell you it will return with quite a few more miles on it. You may also have future issues with the car being recognized in numerous areas acrossed the country. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.