Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tipping tow truck drivers traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Fenders

Fenders

Anyone wonder why our insurance premiums are high? The insurance company doesn't care, they just pay the bill and increase our premiums.

2. It depends on the driver and how the tow was handled. Most of what comes here is in-ops so a little more work for the driver usually gets a tip. However on my OT driver, I failed to switch tanks over on my diesel in time and ran it empty. Trying to bleed it and get it started the battery died and all I needed was a jump. The tow guy said he couldn't just jump it and had to flatbed it back to the shop for a $150 bill and the two minute jump start there. He got no tip.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Good service warrants a tip,crap service doesn't. Won't eat in a restuarant that atomatically puts tip on your bill. Thats not a tip,thats a charge.

4. fbama73

fbama73

20 years ago, I drove a wrecker part time, and only ever got one tip, but I earned it. A couple had just finished restoring their '67 MG, and was out on a shakedown run when it quit with an electrical problem. That particular car needed a bit of extra time and attention to get the wheel lift under the front valence without any damage, and they were pleased when they saw me giving that attention without being asked.

5. I live in an area with several retirement communities. When I worked at a local service station I had A lot of older customers and I would get everything from bake goods to money as tips......that part of the job was the best. When I helped people on the island getting gas with problems I would get maybe a quarter to a couple of bucks, the point being they appreciated my help.......also remember that a quarter to some of them was a lot of money in their heyday.

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

In Australia you got a nice kickback/tip from the "Wreckers". I was in the trade and knew alot of the guys from various panelshops. In NSW the tow truck guys (awesome old school trucks) would sit and scan the police radios for accidents or wait for call in's. If i saw a wreck just happen i'd call their base and trucks would speed in from all over, aswell as other companies, chasing them on the off chance of work. They had chasers, flatbed Utes that would get there before their own truck could. You could here them coming for miles, V8's howling:D There'd be tow truck drivers literally fighting for the jobs and it did get nasty at times. If they got the job, you got a $50 kickback from the company, though i'd split it with the actual driver (who most likely i knew) and call on his services every now and then for shifting projects about locally.

Personally i always tip if i get good service, never before as that can be seen as an insult to some folks, me included.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Tipping anyone is always the stand-up thing to do.
    But....never tip too little. It's insulting.
    When I was working in a gas station, I really busted my ass fixing this ladies fan belt one morning. All it needed was to have the bracket adjusted to her alternator, but, still it was a miserable, hot day and I was working alone and I had to keep running back and forth taking care of other customers while tending to her problem.
    I told her "no charge" because it was a simple fix.
    So....she says "OK, well you're a fine young man for doing that so I have something for you......"
    And I stood there as she shuffled through her purse and then after about 30 seconds she said.
    "THIS is for YOU!"
    And handed me a DIME.....
    I thanked her and she went on her way, but really....it was so ridiculous that I had to laugh as I put the dime in my pocket.
    I was too hot to be insulted...only amused.

But, do try to be generous...it's tough out there...

8. rld14

rld14

When I had my Lincoln towed by AAA the driver showed up in about 6 minutes and was VERY careful with the car. I tipped him $20.

9. metalman

metalman

Ha-ha. No kidding, wish I had a dollar for every time I had to jump out and chase the car I just nudged with the sling backing up to it!

10. deto

deto

Absolutely

11. Yep and that's no bull. :rolleyes:

12. Muttley

Muttley

How about when you have a FWD car in the driveway and need to push it into the street to hook up the front. I always told them get in and steer it so the front of your car is facing my truck in the street. Nine times out of ten you would get to the end of the drive way, they slam on the brakes and say "Which way did you want it pointing?". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. Originally tips were given before service. ''To Insure Prompt Service'' is the origin of the term ''tips''. Watching my son operate his towing company I sure appreciate the hard work that these people do.
    I have always tipped as well as I could afford.

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Here in Las Vegas, service industries are a big part of the economy. I think a decent tip is usually warranted. The guys that have drug my broken cars around have shown substantial care, and attention to detail that I appreciated.

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

my boyfriend is a tow truck driver and tips are always nice...especially when he's in the middle of dinner or a family event and has to leave to come and get you :). Theyre on call 24/7 and have to be around when theyre on call...and they dont get paid to be waiting around for the phone to ring. doesn't have to be a huge tip but something will always put a smile on their face :)

16. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

my dad use to have a tow service, so i know how much overhead is on these businesses. i used roadside assistance a while back. i bought an ot truck CHEAP with a bad tranny, tried to drive it home, and didn't make it. first 50 bucks was covered, and my total out of pocket was just over 23 bucks. i gave the guy 40 bucks and told him to keep the change. seemed surprised, and tried to give it back. apparently most people don't tip. 40 bucks for a 35 mile tow was still cheap!

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The smartest thing I ever did was get an auto club membership. Now when I buy an old car I can get it towed home for free. Yes I know the driver is not supposed to do this - that is why I tip from $20 to $50 depending on distance and difficulty of loading the car.

The only driver I did NOT tip was one who refused to load the car because it did not have valid plates but hinted that he would take it if I tipped him. I told him to go to hell and went and rented a trailer. He just pissed me off for some reason.

18. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I always tip tow truck guys. If my hot rod is broke down- a twenty will always put a smile on their face & they will be extra carful pulling it up on the flatbed.
    My ot 55 chevy broke a major part of the 4 link on driver side & blew out a rear wide tire. Car was very low to start. Of course this was on New Years Eve- guy shows up & I gave him a hundred to get it on the truck w/o anymore damage. He spent 30 minutes w/ blocks, ropes, straps, etc until he got it on the truck in 1 piece. At 1st, he refused the tip- saying this was actually fun compared to all the DD shit he tows. I insisted & he accepted. Win-win for both of us.

19. Owned & operated over 10 yr south of KCMO Tips were seldom but alot of repeat customers To my shop & got tips from other shops Police tows usealy sucked 3am call for a abandon car that had setting for a week in the daylight? & Worst of all on hook insurance forced you to charge higher amounts. It was always something different But glad I got out of it,

20. I do when the tip is deserved. All depends on their attitude and the service given. I hate the attitude that everyone deserves a tip just for doing their job. We had to get towed 2 months ago. The driver was not only a really nice guy, he offered to make some calls the next morning to get us in the shop and fixed same day (we were moving in two days and had to have it fixed). Gave him a $20 tip and was very happy to do it.

21. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

I drove a tow truck for about 12 years,I never got any tip's, but once an old lady could'nt get her ignition key to turn,she had turned the steering wheel too far when she shut it off,I had to turn the wheel to get the key to turn it was the locking pin for the steering wheel lock on a 72 impala not a big deal,it took a second to do so when I got back to the shop I told the owner she was'nt there.
    but I my father always gave the garbage men $20 dollars every other week and when it was hot some cold pop or water also,they don't take construction waste or yard waste,they are supose to call the ward office and report you so you get a fine,they took everything he put out there!

22. Firefly

Firefly

Yep, Kiwis not big on tipping as it is not done here. BUT I always tip when in the USA, especially the kerb side luggage check man and the hotel housekeeping

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I was towing my AS with a brand new Chevy 2500 HD from Torrey UT to Escalante when the transmission quit due to a kinked cooler line. AAA card with RV coverage saved the day and the tow truck driver earned his $100 tip when he put the truck on the rollback and hooked up the AS and then put the AS in the RV park.