Register now to get rid of these ads!

turbo 350 woes revisited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rer_239, Jun 30, 2012.

1. rer_239

rer_239

refilled my trans (took approx 1 gal). and started the engine. the drive shaft still didn't spin fast. took the drive shaft off and restarted the engine. output shaft seemed to spin fast. hum, i measured how far the output shaft extended (approx. 5/8"). so i shoved the shaft in as far as it would go and marked it. pulled it back out and measured how far it went in (2"). pulled it back to fasten it to the driveshaft. remeasured it and i had to pull it out 1 1/4" to refasten it. that would give me 1 3/8" of spline. is my drive shaft too short?

thanks
    dick

2. Not sure how much is normal as far as strength, but the yoke splines should be all the way to the tip. Meaning that with the car up in the rear, it should be going just fine. I'm thinking a trans prob. You could always stick it in park and rock the car on the ground to see if the driveline is in far enough.

3. Not sure I understand the question. But if you have the shaft installed and weight on the wheels. You should have 5/8 to 1 inch between the yoke and the seal flange. Inside the tails haft is a bushing and the long end of the yoke should ride in that. Hope that helps.

4. squirrel

squirrel

The splines on the output shaft extend past the rear of the tailhousing a little bit, you can bet the splines are still engaged.

Did you try driving the car?

5. rer_239

rer_239

latest update:

turns out the torque conv. wasn't engaging the trans pump. ended up reversing the pump so it would engage the converter. i did drive it around the block (low traffic area) for the first time since starting project a long long long time ago. i am stoked. now to make it street legal.

thanks for all the help
    dick

6. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

Reversing the pump gears is not a very good solution for the problem you have...

You should have added spacers between the converter and flexplate to limit the amount the converter is pulled out off the pump.

The converter should be pulled out 1/8" min to 3/16" max.