Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, your car looks solid and like it is a great cruiser now.
    Is it bagged or did you use cut or lowered springs?

2. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

Thanks for the compliment... No bags just cut springs.

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

how much did you cut off?

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Not much to update. other things have kept me off the Nomad.
    I have waved the white flag on having it painted and back on the road by 6/15/12 for this years Back to the 50's in St. Paul MN.
    The good news on that call is that i will end up doing a better job
    Did stray a little, spending time adding a stereo to on my OT convert, which is a driver (and in the "on deck circle" to be worked on after the wagon is back in the road) so it can be my summer cruiser. Really trying to keep focused and not "cheat on the wagon" with the younger car.:cool:
    Still plan to shoot some of the DPLF-60 primer soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. You're doing some nice work '59. I just found your thread and have really enjoyed and appreciated all the effort to document your journey. I had to cover a lot of those same bases a few years ago on a very similar project. I was even able to send a few "patterns" to Ciadella to complete their '59 Nomad interior offering. Keep up the good work!

6. Model T1

Model T1

Nice build thread and great wagon. One of my favorites----besides the 55!:D

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks guys!

Fan Attic,
    From your biography, sounds like you have a great story on how you got your 59 Nomad, maybe you will post it some time.
    Biography
    Yep, my one score of a lifetime. Original, numbers matching '59 Nomad with 88,000 mile. Bought it for scrap!

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  8. It is a sad story which I'll edit to protect the guilty. You may want to get some Kleenex, and a beer.
    I spent over 10 years trying to find the owner of a piece of property about 50 miles from my house which in the beginning had well over 100 vintage cars from the 40's, 50's & 60's parked on 25 acres of sage brush. As the years passed the cars disappeared and on a trip by the place in the summer of 2008 the Nomad was the last thing there worth saving. I finally contacted the owner through a friend of a friend of a friend and discovered the wagon was for sale. We met at the property one Saturday that October to make the deal. The "owner" was the grandson of the original collector. Grand Pa and Dad were both dead by the time I first saw the collection. The Nomad was purchased new by his Aunt and donated to the pile when it quit running good 25+ years earlier. It was the only one left because his "Aunt was still alive and would kill him if he crushed her car, but she wasn't doing too good". He told me he "Had thought of having the back doors welded shut so it would be worth more as a two door" because "Nobody likes those big 4 door cars":eek: He wanted $600, I loaded it up. It was missing the horn button and two hubcaps. I spent about two years on the frame off restoration. I personally haven't seen another one. It's fun.
    As for the other cars, Chevy II's "Don't weigh too much, didn't get much for them. Those little T-Birds didn't bring much either".:confused: When I asked him if there wasn't something in the collection he kept he told me that "Grand Pa's favorite was a '49 Cad Sedanette, and it ran pretty good still. But people now days only want little economy cars. That one weighed quite a bit!":mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I had to leave.
    "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.":(

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

"Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." Well said, not a clue.
    Fan Attic, That is a sad tale indeed. Thanks for telling the story, if he only was aware of the HAMB, just think of the added money he would have and all the saved cars

10. Ron White says it best. "You can't fix stupid"!
    I still throw up a little every time I recall that encounter. I hope it didn't cause excessive consumption for too many of you. I know it has me.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

It would be nice to say a corner was turned, but actually I just drove the car outside to blow of the dust and swept the floor. It is now facing the other direction to allow finishing up the drivers side. I guess it is a small step and a lot of then will add up to it being done.

Attached Files:

12. I guess it is a small step and a lot of then will add up to it being done.[/QUOTE]

Stay with it. It's worth every busted knuckle!

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Stay with it. It's worth every busted knuckle![/QUOTE]

thanks it is looking like other things may be taking less of my time and more progress can be make over the summer.

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well, if things go as planned, tomorrow will be trying out painting the hood and may be a few more parts with some DP60LF (Blue epoxy primer) and finally know;
    1- if the color is acceptable
    2- I'm any better at spraying than in 1971.
    Here are a few pictures of, - my shop with no car in it - one of the sand-blasted parts and a rare shot of both my old cars in the garage.

Attached Files:

15. 59brokewood

59brokewood

59wood - Nice ! I need to go change my underwear now. must not be much spring left in there! Mine is the same color, harbor blue but has less paint left :p and less doors.

1959Nomad - she is looking great cant wait to see you get to spraying some prime!!

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks 59brokewood,
    Hoping the primer is close to the Harbor Blue and to run with it as is and look for some better steel long term. The top and side two tone may get the "Frost Blue' now, before putting the rear windows and trim back on.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Got some answers to several questions

1. The DP60 blue primer looks good
    2. It went better than when i was 18, but not a lot. it will all get sanded eventually so not a big deal
    3. With practice painting will get better, and i think i need to use a smaller tip

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  18. Nice! Always a big milestone when you get to make a bunch of parts all one color again! I'd agree with your plan to "jam" everything you can while it's apart, even if you're not locked in on final color. If you're close in the end you may be able to live with blending in the final color. Getting that quarter glass in and sealed is something you should try and just do once. Keep up the good work!

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks, i hear you there, I'm hoping i can get them in right. this current round of work all started with just wanting to replace the 3 sheet metal parts above the rear window. Once i got started i just keep going with more things that might as well get done at the same time. anything in particular i should know about putting them back in?

20. The safe way is find a good glass guy who'll donate an hour for beers. I couldn't find one so I had a buddy come and help. Obviously use new seals ($$$$), carefully rope them in (I did the curve first and then pulled the front in last and it worked) then go back with your glass sealant (cut the tip real small) and gun sealant down into the glass channel in the rubber from the outside. Try and get sealant into the outer channel from the inside but it's tough. I still have a little leak at the top of the curve on one side, but only when I hit it with the hose, rain doesn't come in. Good luck!

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Not much to update. i did pick up some parts at the Back to the 50's Swap meet on Sunday. got a decent set of rear bumper brackets with the chrome parts that are below the bumper for $10 (the asking price), the brackets would need blasting but the chrome is better than mine. marked as 1960 and the seller insisted they were from a 1960. walked by a 59 an 60 later only to confirm as suspected that the 60's do not even have them. also got a air cleaner which would look good on the 283 if it makes it in the wagon one of these days

Attached Files:

22. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Primer looks great, I like the blue. How close is it to harbor blue poly?

23. titus

titus

If you run into anything you need i have a buddy in Rochester that has alot of 59 parts, also there is at least one 59 wagon up at french lake and a 60 wagon also.

Looking good.

JEFF

24. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

^^^ By any chance he might have a luggage roof rack on the 59 or 60 wagon.???
    Sorry to crash in on the topic..
    I sold my old wagon and I bought another one and I'm back to square one on a new project.. So I'm on the hunt for parts..

25. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

Thanks 59brokewood, Saddly to say I ended up selling my pride and joy in May do to financial problems (unemployed over a year) bills dont go away.. But I ended up buying another 59 wagon project.. So now I'm on the hunt for some parts to get it back to my old looking wagon but with a diffent change of style..
    So I want to say Thanks for the odd complement on the wagon.

26. titus

titus

He didnt have any wagons so i doubt hed have a roof rack.

jeff

27. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

Ok.. Thanks for the reply back..

28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

The color is a little lighter than the Harbor Blue, i tried to show a comparison, but have very little to compare to as the paint is not in good shape any where. Please see the bottom picture on this post dated 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Sorry to hear you had to sell it.
    What all are you looking for?

30. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Hey guys - I have some 59 wagon parts (and non-wagon) so let me know what you need. I'll try and help.

Attached Files: