Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gloss vs Faux Finish AKA Rolling Bones Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 23, 2012.

1. 117harv

117harv

RB if i build and paint a coupe that looks like one of yours is it a faux, faux:eek::D

I like them, as well as shiny cars. Many say that they weren't like that back when, well some like to create cars that look like they were built back then, yours to look as though they survived all these many years. I do agree with the shiny paint being fake comment, i guess mine will be fake either way:cool::)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Very True! Being a Marine i'm not used to being called a fag.:D

3. To answer your original question, it will still take longer to finish the gloss finish than the faux finish.

4. have you done it?

5. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

YOU MY FRIEND ARE SO RIGHT ON THE MARK
    When I was about ten in the mid fifties I was walking down the road an this young kid pulled up in his very ruff A roadster and asked if I wanted a ride .He was just so proud of his hot rod and wanted to show it off. After he dropped me off at my driveway I told my older brother about JUST HOW COBBED UP this roadster was and he said something I have never forgot.
    " That kid built that roadster himself , it's on the road and he's driving it . He put his blood , sweat and hard work in it . HE"S DAMN proud of it and he should be . Who the HELL are you to make fun of him , your the one walking. "
    My brother was my hero , I never felt so small .

6. Tony

Tony

SO true!
    It's just a personal choice for a paint job..not life or death.
    What a crazy twist this thread took..
    And to add to it, i like em both. Have both shiny, and satin/shitty whatever you want to call it look. Hell, the 32 in my avatar won't be shiny either..
    Never gave a single thought to what anyone else would think about em.. it's all about me me me me me :D:D:D

To the OP, i think the time spent would be very similar doing both styles of finishes.. Just my own opinion though, and we all know what they are worth. :)

Tony

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

... and yet another thread falls victim to the "us versus them", "old versus young", and "Guys that were there versus Guys who want to revise history".... This stuff is becoming way to predictable.

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

9. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

my opinion ....

realistically.,,i have built more cars in my life than most normal people dream about,,i like to think i have a good eye for what i do,,( i have never been boastfull when it comes to the things i build) with that being said.,, the one thing i have learned is that you can build the best baddest freshest thing-a-ma -jig and there will ALWAYS be SOMEONE who feels like they have to pick it apart, analize it, scruitinize it,,, etc...
    ..when i was younger i let that critizizem fuel me,,,however, i will admit (foolishly) that i used to take that critizism to make me do better,,,,i dunno what happened,,but i guess age, maybe?...but , finally it made me realize that NO MATTER what you do, how perfect it is or what,,there will always be SOME JACKASS that will be there to try and still the fire from your passion,,,,,(usually these persons are the same with either, no hot rod to speak of, or a project that will never get finished, but "hey, they buy all the latest magazines or read what is cool on the internet, so they now whats up" hahahha

10. Sure have.
    Look at my profile and/or Google for the cars we own or do a search here for the cars we have that have both finishes.
    My son owns a body shop and has painted both finishes several times as well per his customers requests.

A nice slick shiney paint job will require a miniumm of six hours per panel to paint, sand and buff to a flawless show quality finish.

Figure 2.5 to 3 hours per panel for a base clear faux patina finish.

11. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Ya know we drive our FAKE hot rods to Bonneville every year,even race some of them when we get there. Along the way we meet up with old friends and make new ones while sharing a beer a lot of times in the parking lots of the motels we stay at along the way.
    There seem to be a lot more of the type of hot rodders we would enjoy leaning on our shitty painted hot rods and having a beer with on here than the insecure , your not doing it the way I think you should so I'll call you some name that I just might be a little to fagmilure with fella's.
    So watch for our upcoming trip post and come on out . The bi-curious name callers please stay home .

12. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Bones boys Get it.They are out there having a Blast.The work they put out is second to none. Applying the paint Themselves. Not dropping it off at the painters.Run them hard all day,and lean on them hard at night.Smiling the whole way.Hope to see you guys out on the salt again this year putting patina on your patina.By the way, mines got shiney paint.I'm applying my patina one chip at a time.Ha ha. My take on the original question..to get a finish up to the bones level you are going to have every bit of time it would take to do a"traditional."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  13. Gator

Gator

Good enough for me...

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it only took 6 pgs for this old idea to show up. The sandboxes I play in at times have hundreds of "fake" cars. Some of those playgrounds have added a "survivor" or preservation class, but somehow those classes don't have 80% of the spectators and participants fighting to get a look. Personally, I view it as a great service to restorers. An opportunity to see the minute details and hardwares, wire and hose types, leather texture, etc. In some cases it's a genuine privilege to see untouched original...WITHOUT PATINA! Like this:

[​IMG]

Then there's this:
    [​IMG]

Can you tell which one has less work done to it? Is it a trick question? You bet yer ass it is...

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Let's get something straight here. The very idea that the Rolling Bones boys have fake hot rods is absolutely ludicrous. These guys are hot rods to the core. They walk the walk and talk the talk and are in a league of their own. Compared to them I am a clueless Englishman who just happens to own a shiny custom, and none of my posts on this thread have meant any disrespect towards them.
    The only point I am trying to make is that there is a difference, however minor in the whole scheme of things, between making a vehicle look like it has survived from back in the day to how things were painted back in the day. Let's not rewrite history here, the only dammed automotive site dedicated to documenting it correctly.
    As far as the Rolling Bones guys are concerned, I take my hat off to your achievements and long may they continue.
    Paul

16. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

Wow, I've been on the HAMB for almost 10 years now, and the only reason my post count is so low is because I've had O/T cars this whole time. I get that there are some "rules" to participating here, so <em>I just shut my trap and LEARN as much awesome stuff as I can.</em>

But this "Nazi-like" enforcement of <em>The Holy Cannon of Hot Rod Tradition&#8482;</em> makes me sick. This thread could have been a chance for a good discussion on the subject of paint, and <strong>now it's about who's a fag and who's not?!? REALLY?!?</strong>

The HAMB has always been about hardcore tradition, but it just used to be <em>friendlier</em> than this. How sad...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Kripfink, Thanks for you post from across the pond. Some cars just look better in a Faux finish in my opinion, case in point, this GN would look totally wrong with gloss paint and polished fittings. Bob [​IMG]

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A pearl in a steaming wading pool of bullshit.:eek:

19. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

THIS. Is whats beautiful about this hobby & lifestyle

20. If done professionally the Faux finish will take longer. The End :eek:

21. OneBad56

OneBad56

Now, why would I spend my hard earned money on a faux-tina when I just could let Mother Nature do the real deal. Might take longer but its real.

Sorry, just can't see spending money on it.

22. "If done professionally?" Creating the aged look is far from being rocket science.

Sorry to burst your bubble but all you have to do is carelessly lean really hard on the paint job with too course of sand paper and buff on it too long.
    (If this is done unintentionally in our shop, we call it fucking up.) lol.

After doing the above, dull the paint back down with a slow reducer to wipe out the shine. smear some grease and dirt into the paint job, even lightly rub some brake fluid on it here and there and dont try and reshine it. Let it age outside when you can and you have the patina look.

Not bashing on patina or the aged look. just say'n it aint that hard and we would love to be able to do them everyday as opposed to 100 point restoration jobs.

draggin49 likes this.
  23. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

So right Ed.
    Ed & I were there. In Southern California, there weren't any flat paint patina'd cars I ever saw except at the track & I was building cars in the 50's & 60's. Everyone wanted shiny cars. My dad built roadsters in the 30's to 50's & all of them were shiny. All dad's friends cars were shiny. Fake patina has nothing to do with history or preserving anything. It's just the latest fad to come along & now everyone wants the old look on their new build.
    History would be old car as found with old paint!!
    I'm going to hurl if I see another coupe or roadster w/ a number or shop name painted on the door & roughed up w/ a scotchbrite pad. Who are you kidding & what history are you preserving?

Now to be fair- I will say I did take a pretty close look at the Walden/Foose 32 coupe at LARS a few weeks ago in bldg 4. They did a pretty good job of faking all the cracks & wear in the paint. I even found myself wondering how they did the finish but deep down inside- I was thinking the car would be perfect dripping in gloss black.

Young guys are continuing to re-invent the past & most of these shop owners weren't there back in the day. As long as someone is buying fake patina & magazines keep publishing pictures of it- they will continue to sell it. Just don't tell me that was the way it was. I was there.

Now I will answer the original question.
    Shiny paint requires better fit & finish- especially if painted black. Patina will hides lots of sins so fit & finish is not something to strive for (I'm not saying all- Rolling Bones probably spends as much time on prep as a shiny car). It's suppose to look old & alot of them do look pretty beat up. So- I'd have to say shiny will take longer.

24. 117harv

117harv

Steves32, the faux cars are not made to look like/how a car from back when looked, but a car from back when that has seen the ravenges of weather and time. Picking up a bunch of old parts and putting a car together that looks period is a recreation of the past, is it not?

The bones guys are just recreating that weathered look. New things that look worn, weathered and old is not a new fad, i have seen many items over the last 2 decades.

There is an episode of the Waltons where Ike the store owner was buying some new tables and beating them up. I think he was hitting them with a chain and doing other things to they would look older and he could sell them for more as antique funiture...new trend:eek::confused::)

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nothing new about that. Hell, as Samuel Clemens said about 150 years ago, "You'll never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

26. the inspiration i used on the last car i "aged" was a story i made up.
    jack's uncle bought a '32 roadster brand new from the ford dealer in the next town to drive back and forth to the school he taught at, Jack always loved the car with it's deep maroon paint, and red pin striping. his uncle taught him how to drive in the roadster on the back roads behind the farm he lived on.
    when Jack got back from fighting in europe his uncle bought a brand new Buick convertible and gave the '32 to Jack. it's fenders had some minor scratches and the maroon paint had faded but the car ran well. Jack hopped up the motor, found a louvered hood off a green hot rod that had been wrecked he removed the fenders and over the following few weekends sanded it down and painted it shiny black dulux. with some red pin striping it looked sharp and he enjoyed the car as his daily driver, until he got married, had kids bought a house and needed something more practical. the car was stored in his mothers barn.
    fast forward; kids grown up, back from college and married, his job doing well and the mortgage almost paid off.
    he calls his uncle who is not doing well and they get to talking about the old hot rod that gets him thinking about taking his uncle for a ride. weeks later after flushing the fuel, cleaning the points, changing the fluids and putting a new battery in it, it roars to life. he then begins the process of trying to get the car presentable which includes a lot of scrubbing, polishing and buffing which despite being inside the dulux was so faded and worn that he couldn't help but rub through. the scratches on the hood from were someone had rested an old wooden crate would not come out, and there was a dent in the back panel from a wheel barrow that had been pushed against it. he could get the black to sort of shine, and most of the pin stripe was gone, some of the original maroon showed through along with the brown primer. the green paint that showed through on the louvered deck lid reminded him of the guy whose tragic crash had enabled him to purchase it from the bone yard.
    not just dull paint...but convincing people that it's new paint that you added a story to.

27. Model T1

Model T1

28. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

But it hasn't seen the ravages of time. It's new paint & you are trying to relive the past by faking the patina. It's a new build with new paint.
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong, the pervibal build what you want comes to mind. All I'm saying that in the 50's & 60's, we ween't faking paint to look like a build from the 30's or 40's.
    Now this is my opinion- take it from a guy who likes shiny paint-
    If your plan was to build a recreation (that's what you are doing) of a 40's build, then build it like it looked back then. Building the same car that's faking another 60 years of use is, well fake. Preserve history? Build it like it looked on the track in the day, then let it age on it's own.
    We complain here about significant race cars that have been over-restored to car show status, so in the same sense- why wouldn't fake patina also apply?

29. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Just a thought-

Lets say you want to build a recreation of the Frantic Fueler FED.
    Do you build it like it was when raced in the late 60's or like it was when found 40+ years later?