Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dash in a 1951 chevy hard top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Do these dashes bolt in or are they welded in?

2. Dammit

Dammit
    from Canada

They are welded.

3. Just tacked in all four corners?

4. I have to replace the dash thats in the car as of right now. What are the steps I should take to do so?

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

as far as I can see, they're welded in all the way around. why do you need to replace the dash? pics?

6. On my '50 I figured to cut it and leave enough lip to install something else over it. For a full stock replacement you could take the lower brace with it and that will leave you less work as they're spotwelded to that brace in a ton of places. But it's not just "tacked in the corners" - it's welded in solid, every Chevy dash I've removed I had to saw out of the car.

Which, since you have to replace it, why not put something different in there?

The stock 51-52 dash does rot sometimes, the shape of it being more square combined with a leak can lead to it collecting water.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what are you trying to fix? the dash is spotwelded along the top by the windshield. to remove a complete dash intact, you would need to remove the windshield and drill out the spotwelds first.

8. This is what I am trying to correct. It is disgusting! I have another stock dash for it.

[​IMG]

9. It's bad, but if the lip is all there you could probably fab a whole new insert area for whatever gauges you like.

10. I would like to put the stock one or something very similar to it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  11. eddie1

eddie1

I can see why!

12. I also would like to atleast ditch the steering wheel aswell.

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

[​IMG]

This guy just saw that dash!

14. I nearly did the same when I first saw it.

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that was horrifying.. was not prepared to see such a F'd up dash. what is behind the wood insert. is the original behind it. maybe some disecting is in order..

16. Im going to start tackling this pretty soon.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wouldn't remove the whole dash to fix that, I'd just cut out the bad parts and weld in some good parts.

18. Thats exactly what I plan to do.

19. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

damn that's nasty as hell.

20. Yes I know....Im glad I wasnt the one that did it.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I like the speakers up on top :(:(...nice touch...not...!!!

R-

22. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Oh

My

God

Looks like that (truck? what the hell is that) dash has been grafted in with plumbers putty or something. hav you tried taking that off?

Is there a dash pad of some kind over top? How is where the old clodk housing smoothed over?

The glovebox looks correct, btw. It would probably be easier to see what lies beneath that...

that...

monstrosity...

ow my eyes...

...and fill in the missing pieces.

If it were mine, I'd pull it apart and see if the dash top curves in and around where the original gauges went is still intact. I'd then smooth the whole thing over and put a nice 5 set of SWs in the middle, where the radio grille used to live.

23. The steering wheel won't be too bad to ditch - tons of GM wheels will fit on that column, you might have to pull them off a donor with the horn contact stuff or mess around with that, but it can be done. That's like an 88-92-ish truck wheel, it's not bad to drive with but has no place in a 51 Chevy.

Dash reminds me of 80s Oldsmobile of some sort.

I kinda think I'd dig up like a '57-'58 Dodge speedo and matching gauges and just put an insert cut for those in the dash. That would be pretty different.

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

like a train wreck I had to look again. you might find they just tack welded some metal or even epoxied the late model dash to it. I see some puddy/seal sealer at the edge. is the outer edge (door side) metal or plastic??

if it is plastic, you might be in better shape than you think..

25. Yes I beleive most of the parts came from a delta 88 "80s" It even has those tail lights. Horrible....

I am going to just start a build thread. I am going to mount a mustang tank in the trunk and need to see how everyone makes the frame for it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Just leave yourself an inch or two around the outside to give ya somthing to weld to

27. Will do.

28. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Dammm!!
    There has to be a special place in hell for someone, that would cobble up something like that!
    I am normally just a look at the posts kind of guy, but that makes me wonder who or what would go and do something like that...and probably think it is pretty.
    If that were mine I would hack that out with a chainsaw if I had too.

29. Haha trust me....I just about did that when I first saw it.

30. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

At least its got A/C...... :)