Register now to get rid of these ads!

Test drive tragedy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billybobdad, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seat belts are a personal choice. The only reason it is a law is because some lowlife politician figured out that money could be made off people who don't want the gov't to micro manage every move free citizens of this country make. I am so tired of polyanna's trying to turn this country into a nanny state. If you are 18 or older & male, you don't need someone telling you to wear a seat belt or weathermen telling us to run to our basement everytime a storm hits or my coffee is hot & our soldiers do not need Obama's scank wife telling them what foods to eat

2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

I don't understand this. Why would the media have an "agenda" about this, one way or the other? Do they get a kickback for every person who buckles up?

I'll be the first to admit that the media is far, far from perfect, but what exactly is their agenda where it comes to seatbelts or helmets? :confused:

3. 117harv

117harv

I'm so tired of this type thinking, it implies that bike riders have NO insurance???? I/we pay $$$$ for milions of peoples kids, welfare etc. your concered about the guy who is a veg because he didn't or DID wear a helmet??

To the OP, you have been here long enough to now that this would be a drama thread, as well as depressing why did you post it?? All the members here know about seatbelts, running them is a GOOD way to go, this topic here is SO tired...:cool:

4. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Its a shame No test pilots. I had a friend that had a big block powered camaro let a potential buyer test drive it! well two gas pumps later and i mean ran them over going through a gas station. Now smashed up car and no sale. But luckily they walked away but my friend was left paying for it all not the test pilot.

5. Muttley

Muttley

Yep.

6. D-Day

D-Day
    from NW Ohio

When your time's up, your time's up.

7. swissmike

swissmike

117harv - the average insurance coverage probably pays for the first couple of hours once you go through the hospital door with a traumatic head injury.

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

There's probably a lot more to the story which is why the CHP is looking for witnesses. Driving a high performance car does not make you a high performance driver. Even with a mild engine the power to weight ratio would be pretty high if the vehicle was indeed a T Bucket. Throw inexperience into the mix and things can go wrong in a hurry. My OT hot rod with big block torque, a high stall converter and 4.10's gets squirrely when it launches hard, I would never let a complete stranger get behind the wheel...

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I agree, however, anybody that chooses to not wear them most likely has the IQ of lint and should contribute to the thinning of the gene pool. As for the "agenda" from the media, I agree with Bushmaster.

10. Then have people that drink, do drugs, smoke, sports, and ANYTHING ELSE that isn't sitting on the couch wrapped in bubble wrap,,,, sign off. :rolleyes:

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Only if you have proof of good medical insurance. I don't want to pay for your personal choice.

12. cayager

cayager

i agree with that 100%. also i would say in a modern car where seatbelts were designed in it, it would help. i couldnt imagine getting hit head on in a model A, or model t, or anything from that era they would keep you safe. maybe in a real slow hit.not to many crumple zones built in though. it would fold up around you like a tin can

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

14. cayager

cayager

15. GEISTERFAHRER

GEISTERFAHRER

I wear a seat belt cause if I don't the military won't pay out my life insurance policy and I hate having my 3 year old tell me Safety First

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

That's Charlie Tachdjian's brother Benny who was killed. That's 2 brothers he's lost since February. Car was being test driven, got on EB freeway at Towne (Charlie's classic car dealership is on Towne) & the guy jumped on it & lost control. That was the stupid part- driving beyond your skills. Benny was thrown from the car & struck his head.
    Lots of old cars have no seat belts. Freak accident. Driver just had bruises & was never thrown from the car. That explains why CHP is looking for witnesses- reckless driving/exibition/ manslaughter charge if they could prove he was racing down the freeway on ramp.
    Charlie is in our car club. Sad story.

Here's his "dealership".

http://amclassiccars.com/

17. Fenders

Fenders

This is not about seatbelts. It's about letting an inexperienced hot rod driver take control of one. Nutbush and dirty20dodge got it.

18. WOW! Sorry to hear that Steve. Never been a good passenger,just for this reason. Forget the seatbelt bullshit! A guy lost his life cause some idiot didn't know what he was doing....have some respect. Put away the soap boxes!!!

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is what I was figuring. Chances are I'm more "1926" than this car is. I've slow speed cruised a t-bucket before and they are strange, awkward cars. Especially so to the inexperienced (to that car) pilot. Jumping on the throttle is like jumping into the deep end without knowing how to swim.

While the usage of seatbelts isn't irrelevant, to start and end the analysis there is short-sighted. It begins with the prospective buyer even getting a chance to drive it.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thank you Bob.

That is what I was thinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.