Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edsel_Presley, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been here, but I have a problem that I can't figure out. The time has come to stop ignoring what my carb (fig 1) has been telling me, and either get it rebuilt or replaced. The problem is that I don't know what it is. The ID tag reads 4297S J6, but everything that comes back is what you see in (fig 2). As you can see, they are not the same. I have found a couple on ebay (example), but none state the model numbers, nor have ID tags. Some friends and I have almost come to the conclusion that this is not the factory carb, but off of a later model maybe. My car is a 66 Chrysler Newport 383 for those that don't remember. Can someone ID my carb, or recommend me a similar replacement?

(Fig 1)
    [​IMG]

(Fig 2)
    [​IMG]

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

is it a Carter or Stromberg carburetor

3. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

It's a Carter, but I'm looking for the model #

4. RWENUTS

RWENUTS
    from Nanaimo BC

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

5. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

No, we don't, because I'm looking for a model number. Did give me the rebuild kit though.

6. carbking

carbking

Not really sure about what you are looking for???

The Carter 4297s is the large model BBD (in your first picture). The second picture shows the smaller sized model BBD.

The J6 is the date produced (either October or November - some years the I was used, some years it wasn't) of 1966 for 1967 model MoPars.

And if you are looking for a major rebuilding kit, we can provide one.

573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time).

If you purchase a kit elsewhere, use the 4297s, NOT application or model type.

Jon.

7. There you have it. He's not called the Carbking for nothing. :)

8. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

OK, so the one in the first picture is indeed a 4297s? Because when I googled that, everything that came up for a 4297s was the carb in the second pic.

9. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

I have rebuilt lots of those carbs (#1) and they are indeed factory on 383's and even some later model 400's. The carb (#2) is for the 318 and 273 V8's. Be sure to chekc the thorttle shafts on that carb. They don't idle right if they are loose.

10. carbking

carbking

Both are called model BBD

"BB" - Ball & Ball
    "D" - Duplex (or two barrel)

There are just 2 different physical sizes.

Jon.

11. Figure 1 is a Holley carb.....might be a later one than 1966...I had the same carb in a 1976 Chrysler Newport....yes it was a factory carb.

12. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Thank you for the info.

13. squirrel

squirrel

It's similar to the Holley, but it's not. The Holley is more square looking. The 1-1/2" BBD carb is what's in the first picture.

There is detailed info about these carbs in the old Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth service manuals. I have 66 and 68 books, but not 67, and this is a 1967 carb.

14. carbking

carbking

The best thing about the internet is: anyone can post! :D

The worst thing about the internet is: anyone can post! :rolleyes:

Not everything Google finds is gospel. ;)

Jon.