Register now to get rid of these ads!

has anyone ever tried welding aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Jul 5, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

with a stick welder?

youve gotta have a direct current machine. and aluminum rods. from what ive read on google and such its not that difficult. i hope here soon i get a chance to do it. when i do i will post my findings. but until then i would like to hear what the hamb has to say.

2. crossthread

crossthread

Yes the arc rods work ,But I could never get my welds to look as good as they should. I was told my travel was too slow. Keep your rods in a rod oven, very important to practice on same thickness of metal to find settings. Lots of luck let us know your results. JimB.

3. AC for aluminum.

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

I've used aluminum arc rods. You better be prepared to feed the rod as fast as you can when you strike the arc. It really burns fast. I'd say if arc is your only option, use it, but just about any other method is preferable.

Bob

5. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Done it with MIG but not stick. x2 on the "Feed it fast" thing, eats the shit out of filler rod and you better be able to move fast.

6. pitman

pitman

Its one of those skills that take time and real practice to do it well. I am glad to pay someome to do it. Steering mounts, gas tanks, suspension items.

7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

every source ive read so far says DC.

i know that heliarc welding you use alternating current for aluminum welding. but from what ive read when you stick weld you gotta use DC because the way the rod is made.

if it was AC everyone and their mother would probably be tring. them buzz boxes are cheap and almost everyone has them. DC machines are more exspesive and not many have a chance to get one.

ive welded aluminum in ever other process except stick. just thought it be neat to try.

8. TERPU

TERPU

First thing you'll need to do is grab a big hammer and just beat the shit out of whatever you are trying to stick weld aluminum , then drive over it, finally just throw it in the recycle bin. Then go find a good TIG or Heli Arc as it's been called and end up with a nice finished piece. Stick welding is best for steel. You can weld aluminum with a torch as well, but if you can use a TIG why go through all the pain? Cleanliness is super important as well for Aluminum. AC is for Aluminum on my TIG. DC for a Stick machine should be correct, Arc welding steel is AC.

Good Luck
    Tim

9. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

You can arc or stick weld steel in ac or dc, depends on the rod.

Brush, chemically clean and heat aluminum for best results.

Chemically clean the rod also.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  10. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

I could see why you wouldnt use ac as the current would flow back and forth through the rod. Dc reverse polarity so that current runs from your work piece.

11. robber

robber

Never tried arc or stick welding Aluminum. After much practice, I got pretty good at welding Aluminum with a wire feed TIG welder... thats what I would recommend as a method.

12. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

wire feed TIG welder? really? never heard of one. so seperate tungsten tip and a wire feeder right next to it? or do you actually mean MIG?

13. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

WTF?????? never heard that one ever!

14. jw johnston

jw johnston

yep i wouldnt say its pretty or easy but it has its uses. It works good on shitty cast aluminum and dirty aluminum. it definetly eats the rod quick. my dad used to weld alot of aluminum bottom dumps in the field in 60s and 70s with his portable gen/arc welder. They make ac and dc aluminum rods, i think the ac works better.

15. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

I used to help my father repair aluminum dump truck boxes with an arc welder, it works way better if you preheat and clean the metal really close to where you are welding with an oxy/acet torch first... weld so close that your almost welding in the flame of the torch... my job was to run the torch... this is many years ago now before wire feed welders were really available to the general public. the bigest problem with welding aluminum with the arc welder is it never really gets hot enough to get a good weld unless you preheat it. but that was the way it was done back a few years....

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ive been wanting to try to O/A alum, anyone have any tips??

17. worken2much

worken2much

Terpu

That's the best laugh I've had for days. Thanks.

It is especially appropriate when considering my first ox/ac aluminum welding attempts. Exactly right.,,beat it, drive on it & throw it away.

Worken2much