Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage travel trailer ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomd, Jul 5, 2012.

1. kustomd

kustomd

I recently found a tear drop camper for sale I'm thinking about buying to restore. But I don't know what brand or anything it is and I can't seem to find any pics of a similar one so I can try to find out what year it is. it looks 60's to me but I'm not sure.

Heres a pic or two.

Attached Files:

2. kustomd

kustomd

I think it would be cool to pull behind my model A coupe or my 51 chevy pickup when I go to carshows or swapmeets. It needs alot of work but it looks mostly complete. I just can't find much that isn't new teardrops.

3. jazzbum

jazzbum

looks a lot like some old aljo trailers i've seen. some interior pics might help. more parts support than you'd think on these old trailers. check out http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/

4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Look for "Spartan" also.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

At first glance it looks home made. Is there any ID besides the State of California plate? Faded painted name above the front window? Or emblem on the sides? Anything in the interior, perhaps inside the cupboards? Magazine rack with a monogram?

This guy has a lot of great videos on restoring trailers, he has done 2 or 3 complete restorations with step by step videos on Youtube. He has a web site as well. He may be able to help with the ID.

Mobiltec Larry discusses what to look for when buying an old trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1DZTfEUB4U&feature=relmfu

His web site:

http://www.cannedhamtrailers.com/

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Technically what you found is more of a canned ham. Teardrop trailers are much smaller, you can sleep in them but they don't have room to stand up.

I know this isn't what you asked but I think you can find a better looking trailer. You would have to tie bones to that thing to get dogs to chase it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  7. kustomd

kustomd

I can get it fairly cheap i think. It looks bigger than it is. Its around a 5x9 i think. I didnt see any emblems or other markings other than that tag. The inside is kinda ratty but it did have a small kitchenette inside the door at the front of thhe trailer with a sink and a small spot for some kind of fridge i think. Or maybe for an ice chest.

8. demoman021

demoman021
    from So. Minn

I disagree, I think the trailer is awesome. I would guess early 60s late 50s I have been looking for something just like that to put behind my 50 Hudson. But very hard to find in this area...
    I would try to tag it as homemade?

9. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Not a bad looking trailer. Its bigger than a teardrop and smaller than most canned ham units. Check out "Tin Can Tourists" for more info & a lot of links. Also look up
    " Sisters On The Fly" for a lot of pics of many styles of older trailers.

10. kustomd

kustomd

Its got a dropped I beam style axle under it and its an actual trailer axle. Its only about 5' tall or so.
    On the tongue of the trailer it says hadco with a pat. Number.

11. kustomd

kustomd

ok i talked to the owner today and he said it had a home made trailer title to it. But he showed me something cool it has a lever at the front on the tongue that release and the whole front floor and kitchenette drops down so you can stand up and fix a meal or change clothes. It has a small closet to. The red wasps were to bad in it for me to check any of the drawers for ID tags or anything.

12. kustomd

kustomd

Well I still dont know what brand it is but I'm pretty sure it was built between 55 and 63. I think its a 62 but I'm not 100% sure. It looks alot like a serro scotty trailer but its only 10ft long and 6'5" wide.

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Did you buy this yet? It sounds cool as hell to me!!

14. Gromit

Gromit

15. evs1

evs1

Those things are nasty, aren't they? I went down to Kentucky to pick up a car for a guy and it was riddled with them. Between the wasps and the whole bottom of the car being rusted out, we just left it there.

16. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

look up serro scottsman , or little scotty , they had a plant years back and it burnt down , they had a scottish terrior logod type dog on them , i had one years back had butterscotched wood inside they were neet , wish i had it or yours (for that ) back , good luck

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

18. kustomd

kustomd

Yea I bought it. I still havent found out the builder yet. But I have narrowed down the year to around 62 or 63 I believe. From the original lights and accesories that are on it. The tail lights were discontinued around 68 and theres some other pieces that started production in 55 and were dicontinued not long afterwards.