Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overheating small block ford.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheFalkenKid, Jul 5, 2012.

1. TheFalkenKid

TheFalkenKid

1971 302, its timed good. but will not advance.. And any trip over 20 miles it gets hot. fresh coolant and all. I'm lost guys.. Help?

Posted from Jalopyjournal.com App for Android

2. need alittle more info

shroud? how far is fan from rad?

water pump fairly new or ancient?

cooling system flows good? has it been flushed?

what temp thermo?

etc

3. TheFalkenKid

TheFalkenKid

Fairly new pump. Fan is about an inch from the rad. And its a 180° thermo. No shroud. An its had a coolant flush about 2 weeks ago. And still full. Never had this problem in the two years its been in the car..

4. when you say hot do you mean boiling over or????

5. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

what do you mean by'' will not advance?''

6. Did you put the thermostat in the right way? Just a thought. It's been done by all of us one time or another. Aaron Dupont

7. wallyringo

wallyringo

I’ve had 289 and 302`s. they do run hot, upgrade the stock 2-row radiator and get a shroud.

8. TheFalkenKid

TheFalkenKid

Like 220° and I checked the thermo its in right. Normally it would run around or below 190°. And I mean I cant see it advance with a timing light on it. It'll rise a little, and not return

9. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

the advance issue could be the problem then

10. wagthedog

wagthedog

ne one the "water wetters" they do work

11. did this over heating problem just start? or has it been going on for awhile?

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

Um... fix the timing.

13. boutlaw

boutlaw

You would need to correct the timing advance issue first IMHO. Make sure the timing is correct and the distributor is functioning properly. Is it really hot or just indicating hot? Is it an electrical temp gauge, if so, my experience has been is that they are notorious for reading higher than actual temp. Try taking a reading at the thermostat housing with an IR heat gun and see how that temp compares to your gauge indication. My SW wings temp gauge was reading from 15-30 degrees higher than actual temp on the coupe. My 66 Mustang 302 runs at about 180-190 on 100 degree days in traffic but will go up if idling for extended periods. Check all the normal stuff, radiator cleanliness, hoses for possible collapse, bad cap (losing water), ignition timing, proper sending unit for gauge being used. We are having a hot summer so far and a lot of guys are running hotter than normal in this area.

14. Background on SBFs These engines were cast in sand from the factory and sealed. If a motor ever gets rebuilt and tanked it takes the sealer off the block. As time goes by it will pull super small pieces of sand out of the block and start to block the radiator tubes. You need to pull the radiator and have it cleaned and rodded out. When this is done you need to install a Gano Filter in the upper radiator hose to stop all the small particals of sand. I have 3 small blocks, one each in my Falcon, Failane and my Roadster all have Gano filters.
    Good Luck!!

15. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

16. TheFalkenKid

TheFalkenKid

Its a mechanical gauge. And it has fresh hoses. And a clean radiator. What would cause it not to advance? The vacume sees to be fine. And the distributor is placed right. and timed right.

17. jazzbum

jazzbum

why wouldn't you fix the advance problem first thing?

i had similar issues with the 289 in my falcon. took a new water pump, radiator and 180 thermostat to fix it, and i had to go through four different thermos before i found one that opened completely anywhere near the intended temperature. you sure that thermo is functioning properly? also, did you thoroughly bleed the cooling system of air after the flush/coolant change?

i installed a gano filter a little while after the new radiator, because there was a lot of crap coming out of the motor when i flushed it and i didn't want to foul it up. not sure if it'll help you but it is true there can be a bunch of crud in these engines that can get stirred up by a flush. my filter strained out quite a bit of gunk, and i really feel like it paid for itself.

18. jazzbum

jazzbum

bad can on the distributor? leaky/no vacuum to said can?

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

gano filter, shroud. my old 302 let out alot of scale that cloggged my nice new griffen rad. they fix took care of me though. then i was still having some problems, but making a custom shroud took care of everything. i never use my electric fan anymore, and this is in my 64 econoline van. very little air flow in these. make a shroud!

20. TheFalkenKid

TheFalkenKid

The advance thing just started today. the cooling issue on tuesday. And the can seems to hold vacume. And yes all bleed of air in the cooling system

21. Master of None

Master of None

What are you running for a carb? Do you have the advance hooked up right? It goes to a vacuum that is above the throttle blades(timed vacuum), and only gets vacuum when it opens. Unlike a chevy that needs full vacuum.

22. TheFalkenKid

TheFalkenKid

Its a Holly 1850 series. 600cfm and yeah there is only one place to hook the line up that I see?

23. boutlaw

boutlaw

How long has it been running hot?
    What was the last repair or upgrade done to the engine or cooling system?
    Explain your statement "vacuum seems to be fine". If the distributor is not advancing something is wrong. How did you check the vacuum to make a determination that it was fine? Try replacing the distributor with a known good unit or check your vacuum canister for leakage (ruptured diaphragm) and arm movement to the base plate. What distributor and carb are you running?

24. Master of None

Master of None

The one you want is the vacuum that comes out about the middle of the fuel bowl. Not the ones at the bottom of the carb.

25. boutlaw

boutlaw

Sounds like you've tried about everything with no luck. If it ran cool before with the same radiator and fan setup, I would remove the thermostat just to take that out of the equation. I have also had problems with "new" thermostats.

26. tnich123

tnich123

If the problem just started after doing work on it then its time to back track and take a look at the things you did for your repairs. With the weather being this hot you have to figure that into your problem but I would bet you have missed something easy while you are looking for something more complicated. Sometimes when you get stumped like this start backwards and see what you get. Like others I would take a good look at the dist. and thermostat.

27. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I never had a 289 or 302 run hot. But this year, everything is runnin hot.

28. Muttley

Muttley

Had an overheating problem with the ancient 289 in my Comet a couple of years ago. I flushed the cooling system, refilled it with oxalic acid/water, drove it for a week and then flushed it again with baking soda to neutralize the acid. I replaced the radiator, added a 165 thermostat, Gano filter and filled it with water/Water Wetter. There is no shroud or coolant in the car and it runs cool all Summer long even here in the blazing hot Central Valley.

29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Don't have to make a shroud, your Falcon can use the one from the same year Mustang http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-6...966|Model:Mustang&hash=item5894179ac1&vxp=mtr it will bolt right up!

30. ausbuick

ausbuick

hi mate, my old 302 aways ran hot i put a new three row rad and a 14" fan and a 190 thermostat and coolant, ran cool as in the summer, and back flushed the shit out of it.