Register now to get rid of these ads!

IS anyone getting anything done in this heat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jul 4, 2012.

1. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

It was 84f and humid here today. Did 8 hours of wrenchin'. Just another day at the "office". Although I live in northern Ontario, I love the heat. Doesn't slow me down, despite being from a cold damp climate(Limey Land). I turn wrenches on Subaru's for a living to pay for my appetite for old iron. Current project is a 63 Step Van.
    I'd live in Florida if they'd have me :D

2. maybelene

maybelene

June, July and August in Mississippi is like living on the sun. All metal shop. 102 and the humidity in the 90's. I'm still workin' on the rod but the fans stir up so much dust from the dirt floor that it's hard to see. Hope to be on the road by Sept.

3. carmuts

carmuts

Not getting much done this summer, but the heat is not the main factor in that. Too many med bills from my duaghters ordeal. Finally got her last sugery out of the way the first part of June. Feels good to have that done, but likely has put an end to projects for another year or so. Glad she has made a remarkable recovery and that is the important thing. Being in my early 40's I have plenty of time to finish the delivery. Rod

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

My co- workers are pissed at me cuz I havent been there in a while. Its too hot !!! my rod over heats, and so do I....

I pulled out my fridge and stove and cleaned behind them, washed the hardwood floors, and tomorow is window day... Inside windows. WHo knows I may clean the rafters in the basement. Everything I hate doin when its nice out...

5. gsport

gsport

Mid 70's here today, kinda nice.

6. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I looked at my car today, then went back in the house and opened a beer. Better luck next holiday.

7. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

We hit 104 today, pretty dam hot for this neck of the woods. My shop is in the lower level of a barn, stays pretty cool. Have a dehumidifier running , half this place is in the ground . Got up to 80 in here today, got some stuff done. Mark

8. lot better here in July in Tejas than last year....still getting some stuff done...like getting the shop organized....finally....since the last one....lots of stuff stored in bobtails and trailers....

9. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

been beautiful in LA, they say it will get hot next week. I will turn on the shop ac

10. Deuces

Deuces

It got up too 102 degrees here in Motown yesterday... :mad:
    First time it's been this hot here in 25 years.. :rolleyes:

11. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Welcome to everyday life as a Texan.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It actually rained here in Phoenix today,last time was May 5th with only a trace then.There was some flooding south of Phoenix but the rain stopped and it was 79 at 5 PM sure was nice not to hear the A/C run for a change,every time I hear it cycle I can feel my wallet shrinking.Got to enjoy it for a day looking for 109 in a few days.

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I told my wife last weekend that I must be a genius. She asked why. I said, " Because I would have been an idiot if I hadn't put a heat pump in my shop when I built it 4 years ago!". :)

14. scrubba

scrubba

Yep, I'm cutting out another 1-25th scale service station for a fellow in Michigan :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will be a Mobil station that was actually built in 1949............ scrubba

15. Worked on installing AC in friend's 47 Chevrolet sedan.

16. outlaw256

outlaw256

im trying to sweet talk the wife out of some money so i can hook up a air unit in my shop.i got sich again yesterday and i was outside only about 30. min. im old and crippled up and have to take narcotics to be able to even move without pain so this heat is the winner and im just a weiner.lol cant take anymore.at least with the cold i can put on enough clothes to stay warm but with this heat i cant take enough off to stay cool. well not enough that the law wouldnt show up!

17. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Hit 106 here yesterday. 8th day in a row over 100 for us. I got a new smoker for Father's Day and wanted to break it in, so I rolled the '56 out and swept out the garage good - discovered I finally had the time to start hanging the stuff on the walls I have been wanting to for years - heads off of flatties, cool wheel covers and hub caps, etc. Hot, sweaty day but by the end I had my walls finally looking like I wanted and some kick-ass smoked chickens to top it off with.

18. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I'm porting and polishing some BBC heads for my gasser. What normally takes about a week of part time work is now dragging on to three weeks. Forty-five minutes is about as long as this old fat guy can handle out in the garage this summer. I even installed a ceiling fan over my compressor to try to keep it running cooler.

19. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I just moved out here to Az. from Mi. and I feel for you guys back east. 100 degrees with all that humidity is a bitch. I remember those days. Not coming back.

20. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

After reading everyone's comments, I don't feel so bad about not getting anything done on my car yesterday. I wanted to continue my color sanding, but after doing a couple of minor Honey do list items outside, (I like to get that sort of thing out of the way first) I was soaking in sweat and went back in the AC.
    Pissed me off having a day off and being held captive by the weather!
    Really has me thinking about a wall AC unit for the garage for days like these.
    It isn't so much the heat that bothers me, as it is the 70-80* dewpoints.
    Not unusual here during the summer, but sucks just the same. Funny how I remember when I was in my early 20's and working on an asphalt paving crew in this kind of weather it didn't phase me so much. But now in my 50's it hits me like a brick.

21. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I did get the `35 cab out yesterday and got the windshield regulator,both door glass regulators,cowl vent and door handles all working smoothly.

Also blew out the doors and cab then bucket washed it all to get rid of the Colorado dirt stuck in every nook and cranny. It dried out in about fifteen minutes in the hot sun.

It was miserably hot around 3 pm yesterday.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      360.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      466.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      373.3 KB
      Views:
  22. Hot in Maryland, over the weekend I could work untill about 10:00 then I was done for the day.

23. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Im working, its 100 + in my shop, lots of cold water and big fans to move the hot air around, yesterday I was doing some grinding, and had to poor the sweat out of my goggles about every 5 minutes.
    for me its a toss up between the hot and the cold,

24. olds fan

olds fan

keeping the doors shut and fan blowing helps. Im putting in the time but the job is going slow, still beats winter.

25. Here, maybe the last photo didn't have enough snow in it for you. So quite yer' bitchen' 'cause it could always be worse!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Muttley

Muttley

My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. ;) :D

27. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Sure, lots of drinks, breaks and showers. But work goes on.

28. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

After fighting the heat and cold for years I decided to be good to myself, when I relocated to Southern Florida 3 years ago.
    I insulated the garage Doors, Roof and walls. I also installed a 26,000 BTU window A/C unit and 3 overhead fans.

Attached Files:

29. I with "Rustyfords". In Texas we just learn to live with it; i.e. work slower, drink a lot of water, find shade when we can, take a little longer to do the job, and thumb our noses at the sun. So for all you folks north of the Mason Dixon line, welcome to the warmth of southern hospitality.

Specs

30. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hell yeah, I'm enjoying the AC I put in the 50 Sedan Delivery! I'm getting to be a wuss in my old age. Well old compared to some. Hot weather means work less, nap more, nurse a cold one in between. I do most of my work in the winter around here.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012