Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Nostalgia Drag Racer Creation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jpnewlin, Jul 3, 2012.

1. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

This project started with a stock 63 Impala that sported a 327/300 with a powerglide. We began by changing out the powerglide to a BW T-10 manual transmission. The engine was rebuilt and the carb and cam were updated along with some of the cosmetics.
    We also replaced the stock manifolds with headers while updated the stance via 409 springs in the front. The front tires were updated to Goodyear Super Cushion Bias Ply tires and Towel City Pie Crust Cheater Slicks on the rear mounted on 15x6 steelies with 2.5" backspacing to fill out the fenders. With the stance corrected i then removed the front bumper guard and center insert and installed tow brackets. The wipers, radio and antenna were removed to complete the lightweight look. Heater delete is on the schedule, but has not been completed to date.
    I know i am leaving out alot of details as it has been a long road, but i thought i would share the journey to date. There will be more to come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

very nice job!

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn. Somebody finally got it right. Great job!

4. Muttley

Muttley

It would be pretty tough to improve that one.

5. hotrodtrucker

hotrodtrucker

I think that way every day, I have built that car many times.......in my mind using a 60,63,85,66,67,68,69 Big Chevy of anykind or a 62 thru 65 Nova or I guess Chevy11 or 62 THRU 65 Falcon or 65 Mercury fixing all the later the way Henry should have done them with 383 ci. strokers.
    Yours looks great.
    Garrell

6. Muttley

Muttley

The one thing I might change if it were mine is flipping the headlights so that the intakes are in the inboard holes.

7. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Nice Job! Well executed.

8. ardyboy

ardyboy

I like it!!!

9. Butch M

Butch M

very cool...

10. the other me

the other me

11. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is a great car!
    j

13. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!... That's what I was thinking... :D

14. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Nice! Thank the stars you chose the look you did, and didn't create another wanna be "gasser." This thing is spot on correct........

15. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Well done, love the car in white, just like back then.

16. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Thanks for the input guys!
    Muttley and claymore i agree 100%. Running air ducts is on the list. My first choice was the inside lights, but i am not quite ready to cut the front end supports on the car which would be required to adapt the inside lights. The outer openings leave plenty of space to run ducting and i did not think that it looked bad either way, but i may get a wild hair and change it up.

17. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Nicely executed! All it needs now is a 348/409 or a 427 and of course a lightweight front. Oh, and leave those lights just the way they are.

I'd like to see a side on photo if possible, just to have a look at the pipes.

18. edweird

edweird

its perfect! who did the lettering ? you should always mention the sign painter. that is some good lettering.

19. zoomma

zoomma

Nice Job. Its coming out great!

20. mtrhead

mtrhead

Great job !!!!

21. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Super cool ride! Great job.

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

OK , I am a FORD guy.......... BUT , That's a damn sharp looking Impala !
    I am glad to see that you took the time and research to come up with that paint scheme . Looks very period correct ! I would take the time and change the headlights to the outside . It just doesn't look correct . Please don't take that as a bad thing but it really would look way better that way . Could you use some smaller metal tubing to snake the air ducts around to hook them up that way or maybe use air ducks behind the bumper well hidden ? Then change the headlight around . No one would really know the difference ! Just a suggestion .
    Once again Damn nice job......for a Chev. Guy ! :rolleyes:

Retro Jim

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

You did a really great job. Here are some pics I took of Hank Gathers Z-11 at Meadowbrook in 2006. If you did not want to cut anything you could try and copy this air induction which is correct as I understand. This Z-11 is one of the best sounding cars I have heard. Has just the right sound and look. Your car looks great as well. Would fit right in if you could take it back in time.

As to cutting these cars up enjoy the car as much as you can. It may not be wise to do a bunch of cutting if the value goes way down but then again, today I am cutting the wheelwells on my 62 Vette and making blisters so the fenderwell headers clear. i will let the next guy worry about stock. I guess I want to relive the old drag car days more than I want it period stock. Looks like you are shooting for the old days as well. Good job-Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Love it,I want to do that to a 68 chevell 300 2 door post car I gave to my grandson

25. edweird

edweird

ouch! i gotta admit. it fooled me. next thing you know, the vinyl will have brush strokes.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  26. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Really like that car, Nice job. I want one now.

27. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

28. models916

models916

Well, that air intake on the inside headlight area is a FORD thing. Early Chevy class racers had to use the OUTBOARD opening so as not the cut the core support or have to relocate the battery. Checking pics from the 61-64 period super stock and MP Chevy racers will show this to be period accurate for Chevrolet.

29. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I really like the vibe of the car. I like the period lettering. Nice job!!!