Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40/41 ford sedan delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by opu27, Oct 21, 2011.

1. fordflambe

fordflambe

You guys have some nice rides. It would be fun to see all of these lined up, side-by-side. What a show that would be!

Actually, the trim on the hood of the 41' delivery is unique to that model. The trim on the truck hood is different.....also, the side trim on the 41' is unique to the 41 SD.

When i started building, i sent the vin numbers to the Henry Ford Museum. They have a group of folks that will do research for you and give you what they can find out about your ride. They told me Ford didn't keep good data on commercial production numbers. Apparently they decided to stop production in 40 so the 41's were built with left over parts. They told me that's why the 41 has same body as 40 but used the 40 standard grille. Mine had the 40 deluxe dash and hood badges.......it also had 40 commercial headlight bezels (park light lens is different). Since they didn't find documentation, some of what they told me may be subject to further discussion.......take it for what it is.

Mine was a Watkins Products road warrior that roamed the dirt roads of west central Arkansas. When i got it, someone had used crow-bar to pry open the back door.....rats had built nest inside and the lower 12 inches of the body was Swiss cheese. Engine was gone but the rest of the drive-line was still in the car. This old guy was rough when i started...........

Running a Super-Bell with 4-bar, 350ci Chevy & TH350.

Attached Files:

PONTNAK123 and exterminator like this.
  2. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

3. There is one for sale somewhere and it has a factory sidevalve 4 banger in it. Whats the score there?

This one is available for $38k -see below. Aint it sweet?

Oh, the one five posts up is also my mates and its getting a bit of a makeover at the moment. It has a sweet body. Cheeers, H.R.D.

Attached Files:

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great thread! Nice history lesson on a body style I've always admired. I never knew about the unique '41 hood trim. I've always thought the '39 Deluxe grille looked better than a '40 Deluxe, so I guess a '41 would be the one I'd rather have. Bob [​IMG]

5. The '40 regardless of body style were some of the nicest looking cars Ford ever made. At 14 years old I bought ac 40 2 door. My older Brother helped me put a 57 Cadillac and hydromatic in it. Lincoln brakes and steering. I loved it. It was fast and showed its tail lights to most cars at the time . I drove it for two years but it was stolen from a car show and was never recovered, I still keep an eye out fot it,out of habit. Those delivery's are super cool. Military versions had grey corrigated plactic body mouldingds instead of chrome. They drove and handled great as a stock vehicle for that era.

6. Gotta love those lines. That art deco nose piece should have won a design award. Remember when car designers strived to produce nice looking cars...and did ? Now most new cars look like contestants in an ugly contestant. We need more Raymond Lowey's and Harly Earls back behing the design tables....Thank god for hot rodders and custom builders who still have an eye for good design.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Here's an odd duck - a 1941 Siebert hearse based on a 1941 Sedan Delivery and reconfigured to be a windowed '41 SD....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Weasel

Weasel

Interior shot of the above vehicle....

[​IMG]

9. mj40's

mj40's

This one belongs to an old friend.

[​IMG]

And another he used to own.

[​IMG]

10. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

real neat!!

11. Found this one 20+ years ago, "NOT FOR SALE"! owner told me.
    He called me a few months ago said he had to sell......32K
    I couldn't buy do to lack of funds.......I missed another one!!!

Attached Files:

12. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

One of the most subtle but neat mods I ever saw on a 40/41 sedan delivery was one that had sedan door, they are several inches longer. One of those mods that you look at and say "something different there" then you start seeing the difference in the door line and window opening . If I had one I would be looking for a set of sedan doors right now.

Rex

13. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

i am looking for my old sedan delivery. i was told it was sold about 2 years ago in kingman az. have paper work and photos that should stay with delivery.

14. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I think I have a back door for one of these. Is it worth digging out and selling?

15. 36tbird

36tbird

Nah. May I get your home address and the hours no one is usually around?

16. Fordy Frd

Fordy Frd

Love the delivery! A great place to eat in the background too!

exterminator likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

hello,
    the 40 ford sedan delivery must have been close to the heart. i owned two 10 years apart. the first one in 1961 was salmon pink with a flathead that burned more recycled oil than gas. the prior owner had a 348 chevy in it, but took it out and sold the car to me for $100, flathead and all...he kept calling the color racer orange, but it came out salmon pink... a cool car for the times...two large longboards sticking out of the rear window made a surf wagon out of it.

jnaki

18. jnaki

jnaki

hello,
    the second delivery was actually orange with a 327/350, auto, a/c full upholstery in the front and rear. it was a full on cruiser. it rode well and my wife liked it. in this shot of the car by itself, the color was orange. upload_2016-7-11_9-28-18.png my first high school car looked like this one with the same blackwalls and beauty rings. but salmon pink... very similar cars, but the 1971 version was a lot nicer and faster. the old one in 61 was a raw surf wagon with an empty shell and sleeping bags in the back. a daily driver. recycled oil was purchased by the gallon for a 50 mile trip to south orange county surf spots from long beach. one on the way down and one gallon for the trip back. those were the carefree times...

thanks,
    jnaki

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  19. jnaki

jnaki

hello,
    here is one of my favorite 40 ford sedan delivery cars. it is owned by nick macaluso from santa barbara and is one of the nicest ones around. we had fun taking photos of the delivery around a few old sytle restaurants in the o.c. locales. one restaurant was a 40's style aero themed one located near the airport. but, my favorite photo is one i did just to see if it would work. it did with great results. newport fashion island in newport beach, the big newport theater. very glitzy in front, perfect for a photo shoot. enjoy

jnaki
    upload_2016-7-19_4-39-26.png upload_2016-7-19_4-39-26.png

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  20. redo32

redo32

DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00005.JPG I posted these on my Victoria thread, but they deserve to be here too.

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    After using the salmon pink 40 delivery during my junior and senior year in HS, along with the 58 Impala, it was time to sell the sedan delivery. Everytime we went by Huntington Beach on Coast Hiway, all of the people there would look at the delivery with 2-3 boards sticking out of the back window. They all liked the look of our surf wagon. When I put a sign on the door for sale $360.00, I got a lot of people interested. But, eventually, I sold it for $160 to a surf shop owner in Huntington Beach. but, he did not like the salmon pink color, so he started calling it racer orange. full circle...We started to go to the beach in VW vans and I still had the 58 Impala as a daily driver and cruiser/racer until 1965.
    Thanks,
    jnaki

22. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

20150913_130755.jpg 20150913_130746.jpg 9My brother daves 41 delivery .

Attached Files:

exterminator and 2deuces64 like this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Somewhere I read that if you have your stereo on loud and can’t hear the sound of your car, you are missing out on the best part of owning that car. When we were driving around in the salmon pink 40 delivery, we did not have a honking stereo. We had my small red Sony am, portable, hand held radio. The empty shell in the back made a great hollow chamber for the best music we could hear. But, driving this rough delivery all over town was still cool even without the best built in radio. The delivery was noisy, burned a little oil, sometimes the La Salle trans needed a double clutching to get into the next gear, and the flip up panel gave us 1959-61 air conditioning on those hot summer days to and from the beach. We drove this delivery all over So Cal to enjoy it to its fullest. After all, being carefree teenagers, cool car, stick shift, a van before the modern day vans, and our little Sony am radio for those quality sounds while cruising So Cal. Ingenuity at its finest for little money spent. Yes…

Thanks,

Jnaki

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nick Macaluso’s 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was very sanitary and well detailed. We thought it would look good in front of the older looking restaurant. We found this 40’s aero/ranch farm themed restaurant near the OC Airport. This was one of the shots I found in my files. It is sepia toned to make it look like it was the 40’s. But, later, I was sorry my photo composition was not the greatest as there is a tree growing out of the back of the roof. But, the setting and the early morning mist was just perfect and other than that tree, a perfect shot.

Thanks,

Jnaki
    upload_2016-7-26_4-42-20.png