Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about disc brakes on 53 Chevy Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moter, Jun 29, 2012.

1. moter

moter

Hey folks,

I have a 53 Belair with the stock front suspension. I have 2 1/2 dropped uprights from Fatman and the steering arms. I would like to put disc brakes on this setup. Who makes the caliper brackets and either new spindles or spacers for the oe spindles to use a tapered roller bearing? I can get the rotors and calipers local. I was referred to TCI but they dont make it anymore.

Thanks

Scott

2. cakes

cakes

use 1962 corvette brake parts, its all bolt in stuff from gm, no need to go aftermarket

3. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

There is a guy on ebay that sells the bracket kit with all the bearings and spacers for just over a 120 bucks. Thats what i got for mine and it comes with the list and numbers of what to buy from the parts house to finish out the kit. I recommend summit for the calipers they were the cheapest I could find with out core charges. As well as the brakes and rubber lines. The only parts I bought local were the rotors.

check this out 190695385478 this is the item number on ebay.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I purchased the kit that you are talking about and went thru 2 sets of bearing adaptors and never did kit them to work. If you want disk brakes on the stock spindles try Speedway motors. They sell a kit that you have to machine your spindles to use or you can purchase spindles that they have already machined to work, but it is a better way to go.

5. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Crazy! What went wrong with the adapters? I have used these types on a couple different cars and did not have any failures but I will say the first one I used one of the adapters went all the way on by hand so I made the company send me another to try and I had to heat it. It never had an issue.You gotta make sure they have a good press or sweat fit for sure! I always wondered if anyone has had any issues but have never heard of any.

6. moter

moter

Thanks guys. I will look at the ebay stuff.

7. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Both sets of adaptors had to be driven on with a hammer. once I got them on the bearings that came with the kit would not fit the adaptors. I called the manufacture Performance online and they were out of ideas. I finally gave up and I am changing to a mustang 2 front end. That way I can get disk brakes and power steering.

8. lucky53

lucky53

Scott,

Check E.C.I. Brakes.

They make real nice disk brake kits for stock 49-54 Chevy stock front ends.

I bought all my brake parts for my '54 from them.

They take care of H.A.M.B. Members too.

Lucky

9. moter

moter

As a matter of fact i spoke with eci today and the parts are on the way. Thanks folks!

10. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Moter- I realize your post was from 2012 but how did the disc break kit from ECI work for you? I'm fact finding front disc on stock susspension versus aftermarket front suspension. Any info would help!