Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eastwood Rust encapsulation product

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have to remove a windshield and repair some areas of rust around the opening and I was wondering if the products that Eastwood sells might work.

They sell a rust encapsulation product that you can spray on of brush on.

Because of the location and access to the area I was thinking of brushing the stuff on.

Anyone else tried this stuff and does it work?

Once I apply it can I had filler right over it or not?

Thanks for your help and advice. Jimbo

2. boutlaw

boutlaw

I've used both the spray and brush on Eastwood rust Encapsulator and was pleased with the results. There certainly could be equally good other products out there but I will use the Eastwood product again until I find something better.

BOutlaw

3. hotrodgypsy

hotrodgypsy
    from reading,pa

how about por15..seen this product,but never used it..im thinkin' of gettin' some and doin' my delivery...

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

por15 is a chassi paint to prevent rust , not remove it .

5. Roadsire

Roadsire

6. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Treat with phosphoric acid and then paint on 2 coats of Master Series. I do this procedure on my restos. Just do a search, there are more details.

7. docmike

docmike

I don't mean to high jack the thread but I have a related question.
    Por15. I don't think I've ever seen another product that gets such conflicting reviews. I've read that some people love it and use it all the time and I've read others that used it once and will never use it again. Can it be that some people are using it wrong? Maybe it would work better to use a rust neutralizer product first and then use the Por15?

Doc

8. rustang

rustang

I've used the Eastwood in the past, and it does work good.

I've also used POR 15 and for a chassis it does work. I did not think it was as durable as the eastwwod Rust encapsualtor, but they are (2) different products.
    Tom

9. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I have used POR and do not like it. I have had it peel right off. They say it must be rusted metal also, not clean. It's a top coat. To me it is not the material to use over bare steel. I found many years ago the product to use. That is Master Series. It is a moisture cured product as well, but it is a primer. Two coats of this product, then top coat with whatever you would like. Hell you could even use POR. I could go into lot's of details, but I have posted very detailed descriptions online a lot, so I'm sure you can find me and a detailed post. From my experienced opinion, Master Series is the product to use.

10. paint helper John

paint helper John
    from oregon

Agree on the Master Series Silver. I have been using it since the late 80s early 90s. Google VW splitman-- Great guy -- good prices! Good info.

11. 5window

5window

I have used the spray on Eastwood product and am pleased with it,so far-it's been about a year. On the whole, I think the Eastwood stuff does what it's advertised to do. Watch for a sale

12. masterseries coatings will trump any por15 result. hands down. cheaper, stays put, works better and looks great.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Does anyone have a link to info about this Master series? Never heard of it before...

14. atomickustom

atomickustom

I just Googled "Master Series" in quotation marks and it was the very first hit. Sounds like Rust Bullet and a lot of other products but I'll give it a try on my current build when the time comes.

15. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

ive also had peeling with por15 ...prep was to thier instructions

rust encapsulator i was pleased with , clean up as much rust as you possibly can first

16. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Rust Encapsulator works very well for quick and easy jobs. I use Miracle Paint for heavy duty rust prevention. Rust Encapsulator will dissolve with many solvents, so use accordingly.

17. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Master Series is a moisture cured urethane like others. I'm not knocking the moisture cured aspect. Because, what that does is gives you a 2 component material without having to actually mix a 2nd part with it. It does chemically cure, not air dry. However, whats different than say POR, is that this is a primer. It can be sprayed on rusty or good metal. It has aluminum in it that actually leafs together to form a blockage so that moisture cannot get past it, totally sealing the metal from anything.

18. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

yep Steve, me too. I know how to follow directions and prep metal :) And for me too, peeled off a couple times. Not so with Master Series.

19. zgears

zgears

Once you "encapsulate" the rust are you going to call the car "restored"

20. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

If you have any real questions, I'd be glad to answer them from my experiences with the product.

21. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Here is a post I wrote not long ago about the subject. I like spreading the word, but don't enjoy retyping :) I found it and copied it:

Can I talk you out of it?? Don't use POR. There are some great benefits of this material, but using it as described many cases results in failures. I have personally seen POR peel. No adhesion at all, peel right up. The properly treated rusty metal beneath. Like many, I tired it many many years ago. I had some success with it, but since have changed my mind. There are many limitations. First, you cannot use it over "good" unrusted steel. It peels. As I described, I have seen it peel over rusted metal as well. Now what I did was look for something better. I wanted a true primer, something that would go over all types and conditions of steel and offer the good benefits that POR did. What I found was Master Series. It is a primer, intended to be topcoated, but it can be left alone. It is similar to POR in that it also is a moisture cured urethane material. That means it chemically cures, doesn't "air" dry, it cures like most automotive paints, only it uses the moisture in the air to do so. But Master Series is silver. It contains aluminum pieces that actually leaf together to cause and airtight seal of the metal below it. It can be painted on rusty metal or perfect good metal, clean and new. You can use a phosphoric etch on the metal first and Master Series is fine with that. I apply two coats, then treat the top coat as I desire, depending on what I am doing with that metal. I may topcoat it with a black, which is like POR ( yes they make that ), I may topcoat it with epoxy primer, then follow up with normal paint materials and procedures. I have been using it for about 15 years now and have done incredible things with it. I use it in my restoration business. There are shops that prime entire cars with it, once they are sandblasted. It's perfect for areas you can normally get to and strip as you would like to do. I cover all my welds with Master Series, before any bodywork is done. The things I use it for are endless. I have been promoting it on forums I frequent for many years now. I like to pass on the good word. I know I sound like a commercial, but when I see someone mention POR, I shake my head. Sure POR has the publicity, but Master Series is really what you should be using. I did a '68 Cougar last summer. It was a vinyl roof car that the owner wanted to be a hardtop. The roof had deep, huge pits. I ground, sanded and chemically treats it as best I could. I then spray several coats of Master Series, followed by epoxy primer. It turned out great. I did the same on a Trans AM trunk many years ago. The lid was so pitted, it should not have been used. But I did the same as I did on the roof. 8 years later, the trunk lid looks the same as it did when I first painted it. The pits were so deep it's a wonder there were not holes. Nothing has come back. Give it a try, the Master Series. I am sure you will find what I have and what others I have told about this, have found as well.

22. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

I've had good long-term results with Eastwood rust encapsulator. Even when using the vehicles in rain and snow afterward it seems to really work as long as you get as much rust brushed/blasted away and the surface is nice and clean.