Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dmv wants to inspect my rod to verify that its not worth over $5000,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48reo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

Been buying and selling Classic Cars and Hot Rods for 25 years in California, never heard that one before either.

2. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

So what is the reason for the bond? I don't get it. I know they want to tax you to the fullest. The bond thing I have never heard of and I have been here all my 49 years.

3. Mr.Wilson

Mr.Wilson
    BANNED

Maybe the DMV is making you jump through hoops because of that bullshit story you told them.

4. I've found with DMV the best thing to do is be honest but provide the minimum of information - just what they ask for and no more.

But New York is much more flexible; case in point I once titled a car with a reciept that said I paid two cents for it. I got away with it, but I had to pay the sales tax on a dollar, a whopping seven cents. Our cars are even easier - no title to screw with at all.

5. XXL__

XXL__

I'm in CA and haven't heard of this either. Could it be because the truck is 1 1/2 ton (as in "big" truck? Just making a WAG.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

registration service all the way... call CARS in Temecula 951-694-4331

7. Mr.Wilson

Mr.Wilson
    BANNED

If you use a registration service, don't lie to them to.

8. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Yeah, that's a pretty hokey story.... When I got the title for my Packard i went in and told em it was my grandpa's old car that had been in the barn forever, and he left it to me when he passed. I wanted to get it on the road again in his honor.... DMV lady thought it was a really sweet thing to do, and I paid whatever the regular lost title fee is and went and got the VIN verified. Easy as pie! :D but it helps to get a nice person at the window...

They know if your fibbing if your not a good liar, and they'll nail you good for it. A friend of mine was having such a hastle with his '57 that he finally just said screw it, and is now waiting for it to be out of the system again.... 2 years left to go still...:rolleyes:

9. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I usually tell them I have this (fill in blank) sitting in my garage for a while and would like to start driving it again.........and I've lost the paperwork. PERIOD. Not this High School, Army, bla bla bla.........
    Then tell them I already went ahead and got a VIN verification. If it's the truck in your avatar avoid letting them see that thing at all costs or you'll never see paperwork

10. Shorty

Shorty

I drove out to Oklahoma a couple of years ago and bought a fixer-upper 28 Model A Tudor sedan from Chaddilac here on the HAMB. The car came with no title just a receipt. As soon as I got home I read everything I could about registering a car with no title.

After reading all the horror stories about California DMV I located a registration service in Bakersfield. The owner of the company drove out to my house and performed a vin verification and had me fill out a couple of forms. Within 5 days I had a title and plates for the car. Once the plates and title were in my possession I went on line to DMV and changed the staus of the car to "Non-OP". All is good and my search for parts continues with peace of mind in knowing the car is legally mine... Just do it and go to the Auto Club or a registration service and be done with it.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will they accept the paperwork from an appraiser or do they actually have to see the vehicle.

Usually there is someone in most areas that does appraisals for insurance or other reasons that the dmv might accept an appraisal from.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't that ironic? I mean, the state that's considered to be the "birth place" of hot rodding is THE toughest state to register a car!:confused: WTF

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Nah.... It really isn't. Seriously. Not at all.
    It only gets tough if you're trying to pull a fast one.... :cool:
    If your legit, it's a piece of cake.... With tens of millions of cars registered here, they just like to make certain the T's are crossed, and the I's are dotted. Nothing wrong with that.

14. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

It happened to a friend of mine once on a 54. I think he said he paid 500 for it and then instead of a title in the mail he got a notice of appraisal. Thing is he paid 500 for it and the car at the time was a 500 dollar car, they tried to say it was worth 5 grand to get more tax money out of him. It ended up not that bad I cant remember what he paid but it was a hassle more than anything. I will say this though if your truck has a homebuilt frame pray to god your appraiser doesnt know what he is doing. And what ever you do DO NOT put your own numbers on it if it is because its a felony! You would be better off getting denied and start over.

15. knotheads

knotheads

its all about the taxable dollars!

16. 48reo

48reo

These are alot of good points and valueable information. Im gonna find out how
    much the bond is, and talk to some people. But I agree if I try to cheat its gonna come back to bite me in the ass. I will post my results on this thread. Thanks!