Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The 1957 NHRA Nationals

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 12, 2008.

1. HEBE GB

HEBE GB

That is certainly a cool glimpse into the past.Thanks for sharing that.I think I may of saw whats reported to have not existed,sort of like big foot.About 45 to 50 seconds in, I could of sworn I saw a bobber truck.Probably not,could of been a hotrod.

2. Sweet video!!! Norm's a stand up guy and I'm glad to count him as a friend. Now if only I could get him to race me. ;-)

3. Great film from a great guy. All the complements are well placed.
    Ray

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I'm meeting up with Leroy Mackey ( Mackey & Veselka A Comp Coupe) this weekend. He's very excited to share his stories and photos with me, and I'll be sharing them here as well. Thanks Ryan, and Norm for the great footage. Watching the famous drag cars from the west coast is cool, but there's something inexplainable about being from Texas and reading about other Texans that were in the middle of it all, watching videos, seeing the cars saved and resurrected at recent shows, and talking to the men who made it all possible. Gives me chills.

5. TOO COOL Norm:D...What a bunch of neat footage....I saw "Tweedie bird" channeled 32 in there and I noticed the shot where you were looking at the T bucket with the girl walking in the background.....and the direction that your camera went;).....You're still the same today:D.....We all love ya Norm!!!!
    Ryan, thanks for putting this out!!!!!!!!!!!
    Skot

6. bmungle

bmungle
    from Baytown Tx

Norm Jones there is no better than him and Bev . The footage brings back
    back some fond memories . Thanks Bob

7. c57heaven

c57heaven

Thanks for the video guys. nice quality too.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm looking at old posts and bringing 2 or three back to the top simply cuz they deserve it... Don't try this at home.

9. From the office of Hank Malone, a local and the real deal.

[​IMG]

10. The driver on the left was from Rush Springs, OK.

11. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Wow, not sure how I misssed this the first time. I grew up in OKC and one of my buddies out here in Amarillo was at this race. Will make sure he and Don Morgan get to see it.

12. yeah..Watermelon farmer....Melvin Heath................

13. Melvin Heath

[​IMG]

14. Oklahoma City promoter Bud Carson in 1957 conversing with the field director of the NHRA.

[​IMG]

Another shot

Bud on the left.
    [​IMG]

15. Hank Malone told me the reason for the direction on the racing in 1957.

Originally the cars went the other way, TOWARDS May avenue. Of course the shutdown area was long before one would get to May ave. However, one day a driver from Tulsa decided to keep going a ways before he let off and applied the brakes, sending him ACROSS May avenue and into the parking lot of the Lumber store closeby.

Then it was decided that maybe it was a better ideer to go the other way, as seen in the video Ryan posted.

16. Elrusto

Elrusto

I had to go back and watch the video again to see what girl you were talking about. Silly me, I was looking at the T-bucket ! ! ! !

I'm LUSTING over the white Cameo pulling the rail at the 4:47 mark. LOVE THE EXHAUST PIPES ! ! ! !

17. Tommy R

Tommy R

This afternoon I was fortunate enough to meet Norm. He sold me some parts for my "A" build. Don't think I've ever met a nicer guy. He even offered his assistance and guidance should I need it during my build. I'm sure I will! Anyway, he told me about this video and I'm thankful he did. Absolutely fantastic!

BIG thanks to Norm and to Ryan for sharing. And yeah, I'm cool with Ryan's music choice. ;)

Tommy

18. spiritof67

spiritof67

..but could someone please ID ALL of the cars (or at least most) in this confection? The Don Breithaupt DCB coupe and Sam Parriott's Kurtis are easy ones - what are the rest?

Spirit

19. So cool...you just can't beat the real thing.

20. My guess would be its a 32 ford 5-window coupe from the looks of the frony fenders and firewall.

Mick

21. That was so cool!
    Loved the music too.