Register now to get rid of these ads!

Molasses bath made me a believer !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drfreeze, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Rhinodaddy

Rhinodaddy
    from mesa az

Incidentally, the frame you see in the last picture soaked for one week in $20 worth of feed and tack molasses, and after hosing off with water and CLR, I could read the original serial number stamped on the drivers side rail

2. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

i wonder if you added yeast to the mix and kept the solution at about 100 degree is you could quarter the time in tank

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Before or after you distill the 'shine? :)

Yeast eats up the sugars in the molasses until they run out of food (sugar) or the waste product (ethyl alcohol) kills the yeast, at ~14-18% yield.

But for car parts, I doubt yeast would help much. Probably changes the pH too much. Just a guess though.

4. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

And i thought it was just for pancakes.hahaha
    Great info guys, thanks......

5. Rhinodaddy

Rhinodaddy
    from mesa az

Actually, you are on to something about the heat. There have been a lot of wild theories posted as to why molasses works (alcohol, sugar, sulfer, yada, yada...), but the correct one is chelation, which is a chemical process. There is a rule of thumb that the rate of most chemical reactions doubles for every 20 deg F increase in temperature.

All kidding aside, you're absolutely going to get yeast spores from open air, and it's gonna smell like a couple hundred gallons of Capt. Morgan's finest after 3 or 4 days. I put a tarp over mine to keep the neighbors happy.

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

At that point it's well on it's way to becoming rum. Don't let it go to waste!:D

Bob

7. jimbousman

jimbousman

The calipers on my Jag rear axel looked like they were end up as boat anchors. Soaked them for a couple of weeks and the look good as new. All the lines and bleeders came off without a problem.

8. mri1397

mri1397

i have a car that has been sitting for ten years with water in the radiator and block.
    car ran good when stored. i don't want to pull motor and rebuild it.
    maybe i can put molasses in and reverse flush ?
    ideas please.

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Welcome the site.

I would use straight vinegar. Put it in and run the motor for a while. Repeat as needed. Do a search and it may have been discussed here before. If not here, over at the Ford Barn.

Neal

10. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

"CLR" has been used as well, and works well.
    Be advised: If the freeze plugs are questionable, you'll know it soon after!