Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a new key

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hawaiian_highboy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. hawaiian_highboy

hawaiian_highboy

I just picked up a 54 Chevy sedan which unfortunately didn't come with a key. Would it be worth it to try and find a replacement that will fit or pay up and have a locksmith make new ones? Anyone know how much that would run me?

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

Locksmith or ignition switch,whichever is cheaper.

3. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Ignition switch, or lock cylinder? I assume you mean lock cylinder. Lock cylinder runs you 9 bucks at auto zone.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I'd take the lock cylinder out of the door, and record the 4 digit number on it. then make a key myself, using the Briggs and Stratton key instructions on the internet.

Or just take the door lock cylinder to a locksmith and have a key made.

If you're lucky, the ignition lock is still the same as the doors

5. phukinartie

phukinartie

I Wanna new drug!

6. fordpatina

fordpatina

you have 2 options take off the switch go to a locksmith or buy a uviversal one for $12,

7. squirrel

squirrel

there are a lot more than 2 options.

8. Used to be having a key made was like $30. Maybe less if you go to them.

If you can't find the GM blanks, '70s AMC trunk works in the ignition and AMC ignition in the trunk.

9. squirrel

squirrel

If you can't find a B10 blank (used on most GMs from the 30s to the 60s), then you're probably not gonna find an AMC blank.

10. Piper106

Piper106

Got any buddies with old GM cars/trucks.?? Try their keys and if you find a match get a dup made for $1.99 at the local TruValue hardware. From what I understand there weren't that many different GM keys in that era, so you might not have to try too many before you find a match.

Piper106

11. squirrel

squirrel

there are six pages like this. That's a lot of codes.

[​IMG]

12. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

4 tumblers, 6 possible pin heights? Or the reverse?

I've seen too many cross- car keys work to believe this list 100%.

Maybe there is enough slop in the cylinders that adjacent pin heights would work. Or maybe thats only true when they are worn; they are all 40+ years old now. Or maybe there were preferred options when making the locks and many of the codes never got used.

13. chigger

chigger

Replace the cylinder,, easy enough and then it's done

14. I had a locksmith do up a key for my '38 Chevy - from the code on the door lock cylinder. It's the cheapest option, and the doors will be lock-able.

Cosmo

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Confucius say; "Man who lose key to girlfriend's apartment get no 'nookey."

16. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Have a key made off an easily removable door lock and hope it fits the ignition

17. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

18. Mark T

Mark T

Call or email Locksmith Leon Rowell with the numbers from your lock, he will cut you a few keys and send them to you at a reasonable price. probably around $10.

I just had him disassemble and clean the tumblers and make 2 keys for a trunk lock cylinder of mine, he did a great job and his price with shipping both ways was good.

Home 641-623-1957
    Cell 641-990-9957
    Email [email protected]

19. squirrel

squirrel

6 tumblers, 4 heights. 4 ^ 6 = 4096 possible combinations. If there's some wear and slop (there usually is) then you can get a key that's off by a little bit to work. It works some times, but only if you get lucky.

20. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

In looking at that list, I never see a 4 next to a 1, which would cut down in the possible combos. Makes sense, that's too steep a transition on the key. So the math is more complicated, 20 years ago I would do it in my head but now I'll leave it to others :).

21. squirrel

squirrel

I could get one of my kids to write a program to figure it out

22. Strange thing, I've run into at least two occasions where GM keys worked in each other's locks - once, a '56 Special and a '64 Riviera, which were in seperate junkyards like 10 miles apart. I can't even remember what the other one is now. Some of it is probably due to wear, but I had a new key cut for the '64 switch and I think that worked in the '56 too. I say I think because that was ~25 years ago. I was still in high school.

Every time the dollar guy who does some of the swaps up here has a switch with a key in it, I buy it, though. I have 4 or 5 of them floating around.

I think AMC used those blanks until the end, 1987, whereas GM last used theirs in '67, so it's possible you can do like I did and hit a guy who's run out of the GM ones and not ordered more, but has AMC ones left he's never needed to use.

23. verde742

verde742

I am no gynecologists but I'll have a look

BOB

24. Here's another little quirk about old Briggs & Stratton 6-cut keys. Look at that page of codes and cut numbers. Pick any code and total it's cut numbers and it always adds up to an even number. So that leaves even fewer code combinations. :D

25. hawaiian_highboy

hawaiian_highboy

Thanks. I'm looking for an ignition key but the ignition is so worn hopefully I'll have a door lock one made and it'll fit.

26. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I have several (100's) of old GM B10 and B11 keys that I got from the Chevy dealer that I worked for. We would try them in locks when the owner lost their keys. We always found at least one that would work,especially if the cylinder was worn. I have been using my stash of keys to go with door and lock cylinders that sell on Ebay and at swaps.You would be surprised how many different keys would open the same lock ! Of course the code from the door lock cylinder will work unless the ignition dcylinder has been changed.