Register now to get rid of these ads!

Molasses bath made me a believer !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drfreeze, Oct 14, 2009.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In my earlier posting, I said I did a 57-64 Olds/Pont third member, and had the same results as you. BUT, my question to you is, what is that posi from? I was under the impression that the "cone" type limited slip differentials wear'nt rebuilable. Yours obviously unbolts and comes apart. Just curious; "inquiring minds want to know". Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. NORSON

NORSON

I've been using Molassas on roadster body panels for the past several months and have posted the results to the thread "serious rust removal". Works great. I have a 350 gallon stock watering tank (plastic). I use a mix of 7 to 1. Takes about two weeks per batch. I treat the parts after removal with phosphoric acid (3 to 1) to stop the flash rust. I am now purchasing molassas in a 50 gal. drum for $99. The mix does seem to like the warmer temps. Can anyone point me to a heater that won't cook my plastic tank.

3. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

Anyone from Colorado following this thread...if so where can you get the correct Molasses locally. I tried Murdocks and no luck... I have two EAC heads that I would like to try this on...

4. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I wonder if an imersion style heater for farm tanks would work, we had one we used at the cabin to heat the water in the tub, was a round element with some sort of coating, and a approx 3 foot handle that carried the cord and switch. it never got too hot to damage the tub, wondering if it were suspended in the mix.....or what about a circulating heater?

5. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Dumb question, i'm in England, this sounds like what i need for my fuel tank, but never heard of the stuff. Did a seaarch and came up with this:
    [​IMG]
    <form action="add2cart.asp" method="post" name="f1"> <table class="buy" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="prodtitle" colspan="3"> 4 Litre Lincoln Molasses

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="cost" colspan="3"> NEXT DAY UK Delivery *Shipping costs explained</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" valign="top"> <table style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" width="325"> <tbody><tr> <td align="Left" valign="middle">
    <input name="sizeid" value="157" id="157" checked="checked" type="radio"> ​
    </td> <td align="Left" nowrap="nowrap"><label for="157"></label>
    Lincoln Molasses (Linc 3200)​
    RETAIL Price : £7.43
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" valign="top"> <table border="0" width="315"> </table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="19%"> <table border="0" width="57"> <tbody><tr> <td width="29">Qty: </td> <td valign="top" width="39"> <input name="qty" class="amount" tabindex="3" value="1" size="3" type="text"></td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> <td width="81%"> <input src="http://www.townendonline.co.uk/ecommerce/gfx/addtobasket.gif" id="submit" tabindex="3" alt="Add to Basket" title="Add to Basket" type="image"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> </form> *International buyers please contact us regarding
    shipping costs to own your specific location.
    Product Description
    Pure cane molasses. High energy sweet and tasty appetiser containing 40% natural sugars. A valuable natural source of carbohydrate. Ideal for fussy feeders.

Does this look like the right stuff??

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The molasses is found as a livestock feed. The product that I used had molasses with other additives in it. I can not make out the picture on the jug but kind of looks like a cow if I squint some. Another assumption is that the "fussy feeders" is referring to livestock and not someone's date. ;)

Should be the stuff.

Neal

7. NORSON

NORSON

Thanks for the info on the livestock tank heater. I'm trying to find something that will get the tank to 90 to 120 degrees, but anything will help.

neilswheels - If that molassas is a cattle feed supliment then it is likely the right stuff. I'll try to post a few pictures of my efforts. - Norm

Attached Files:

8. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

easy off oven cleaner works good too. cant soak a block in it but for cleaning frames and other shit it works great

9. Anyplace that sells stuff for cattle and or horses should have it. I just used the last of my 20 litre drum. Cheaper than the supermarket!

10. wonder who figured this out? A buddy did something with a battery and plastic trash can and Tide laundry soap that works pretty good. Does the same thing faster. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Arm and Hammer washing soda, a battery AND a battery charger (14 volts or better works real well, 12 is a bit slow) An iron bar and a plastic drum (I get alky drums from my RED alky friends for taking them away) NEg on part POS on the bar. Works as fast as a hot tank . Smells like clean laundry. Even the paint comes off. Did a set of 318 heads right off the engine once in about 2 hours. Clean the bar after each session and skim the floatsam off with a rag. Never had to add to it yet. Just top up the water although i do use it as a hobby deal not hi volume. Sits in the corner of the garage just to the side of the big door so it uses no important space anyway. Fun to watch it work BTW. Cost $6

Don

11. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Finally decided to try this myself! I have a 348 with 4 pistons stuck in it and a bunch of rust and rat shit in the water jackets. Probably won't work on the rat shit, but I'm hoping the rust and pistons come loose!:D

12. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

here's a item, local to CDN's, but any mills fleet farm, tractor supply, tetc should have one...

http://www.princessauto.com/all-sea...r-heating/8017184-1250w-floating-tank-de-icer

its plastic safe, and 45 bucks....should do the job.

it floats on top, but the same site has a submersible model 1500w plastic safe for 69.99...fyi

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  13. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

almost every concrete ready-mix company have 5gl pails of molasses, its sold to finishers who are doing an exposed aggregate finish

14. George G

George G

Floating stock tank heater. Check the farm supply.

15. NORSON

NORSON

Thanks guys. Checked out the stock tank heaters. Got one and it works. Won't heat it to 90 degrees, but at least it won't freeze. could you imagine the mess if the tank split open. Thanks again. - Norm

16. mrtrimmier

mrtrimmier

Posted this on the vinegar thread:
    http://http://cgi.ebay.com/tote-tan...952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5022c468

17. cheven

cheven
    from Cleveland

I love the molasses rust treatment, but the big problem is flash rust, what is the trick to prevent it? I have tried to spray it down with WD-40 right after I wash them but still it rusts? what is the BEST way to prevent it?

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wash it down with a water baking soda mix will neutralize the acids that otherwise want to keep working.

19. drfreeze

drfreeze

yes baking soda wash then i use Waxoyl 120-4 Aerosol ... this stuff is amazing ....

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Glad to see this thread surviving AND continuing to yield real-world ideas. I was frankly skeptical before I did a trial with molasses.

21. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

I've been sloshing the parts for a few minutes in the phosphoric acid tank after molasses is rinsed. works great!

22. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Though I haven't tried the molasses Beet juice works really good on rust. I used it on a rusty set of headers and they came out like new. Been using it ever since. My Grand Dad told me about it. Molasses is made with beet juice. Go figure.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

My wife don't allow me in the kitchen, Where do you get beet juice?

Ago

24. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I have bought it at Walmart and you can find it in gallon jugs that is an animal attractant. It's called suger beet crush. Bass pro shops carry it. Or you can juice some beets. It works great.

25. no bux rod

no bux rod

I have some Dodge Dart control arms that need derusting however am not sure about the bushings. Just wondering if Mollasses will affect rubber.

Thanks,

N B R

26. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

so how about a gas tank guys ?
    after the mollasses, how would i wash out the tank ?
    its a 50 f1 tank, and i dont think theres any baffels in it.
    could i just wash it out with a bunch and bunch of water and fill it with gas ? or would i need to coat it ?

27. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

This is a great thread. For all of you who want to do bigger parts use stock tanks or bulk water tanks, farmers use bulk water for spraying. Where ever you are getting the Molasses, these guys can point you in the right direction of a bulk tank.

This is the stock tank
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/round-galvanized-stock-tank-6-ft-w-x-2-ft-h-390-gal-capacity-2177138
    and this is the water tank
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/storage-tank-550-gal-42-in-h-x-67-in-dia--2137332

There is many different size of each, do some searching and you will find what you need.

28. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how the galvanized finish will stand up to the molasses. I ordered in a US 265 gallon plastic water trough for a mate to soak some 56 Cadillac panels in.
    Michael

29. Rhinodaddy

Rhinodaddy
    from mesa az

Michael - I'd try soaking a piece of galvy in a small non-reactive container first, like plastic, and see how it reacts. I've seen straight sheetmetal get a little hinky if I let it cook too long, and I'm not sure how the zinc will handle it.

30. Rhinodaddy

Rhinodaddy
    from mesa az

Here was my solution to the container problem: Six donor 2x10's x 10 foot long, a couple of HF cheapo tarps, and some heavy visqueen clear plastic. I cut two boards in half and nailed together as shown. Lined the bottom first with a couple of tarps to prevent punctures. then laid in the visqueen. The 'tank' is 5 x 10 feet, and tall enough to completely submerge a Model A front fender.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012