Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any engine paint that can be brushed on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Jul 2, 2012.

1. southerncad

southerncad

Long story...:) Is there any engine paint that can be brushed on instead of sprayed.
    I'm not looking for a show finish, just a nice clean, finished look.
    Any help/info is greatly appreciated.
    George

2. Yea I have the same question. Thanks for asking.

3. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

POR 15 has an engine paint that you brush on. I have heard that you can use Rustoleum brush paint with a good primer base.

4. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Yes, POR15 Used to make one, It's been close to 10years since I've used it but it works great if they still make it you should be able to find it on the web.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

6. noboD

noboD

Hirsch sells quarts that can be thinned and sprayed or brushed. Nothing wrong with a good brush paintjob.

7. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

I know in the early days they used a sponge and the results were incredible!:D

8. TeamEvil

TeamEvil

Once heard that almost any regular jobber supplied automotive paint can also be used on the engine and will withstand the heat. Would anyone know if this is true? If so, then the choices for brush-on paint are endless.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The catalyzed paints hold up good against the heat of the engine, oil, etc.

So, any reason why a guy couldn't mix up a batch of 2-part...thinned much less than for spraying...and simply brush it on?

10. greenone

greenone

I got mine from Eastwood. It was a ceramic engine specific paint that could be brushed or sprayed. I sponge brushed it and it looks great. 2000 miles so far and it looks brand new. You can see very small streaks on the oil pan because it was smooth rather than cast, but that's it. I suppose if I was really worried about it, you could sand and buff it, but it's not that kind of truck...

11. 4-pot

4-pot

Bill Hersch paint is what i've used on my last several cars , brushed on looks good and holds up great. One of these cars was done over 20 years ago and the engine still looks good.

12. 6-71

6-71

Yes, with alittle care you can make it look real nice.I am preparing to brush tractor enamel with hardener on my 350 targetmaster.My buddy has done several,and they look great.

13. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

Yes, you CAN brush on regular automotive paint.

I made up some PPG DCC single stage Chevy Orange for a friend. He used a brush and NO hardener (catalyst). It took longer to dry but, the durabilty and shine was/is just the same as if it was sprayed on.

Get a pint or quart of your favorite color made up in single stage and have fun!
    You can catalyze the paint if you want, but is NOT necessary!!!
    Do not reduce, use straight from the can.
    Make SURE the block is clean enough to eat off of, it can still have paint on it, just NO OIL, etc.... (as in NO OIL,GREASE, OR OTHER crap)
    or the paint will NOT STICK!!!!

Your Pal, Gary

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

Orchard Supply Hardware has RUST-OLEUM High Heat Enamel (1000 degrees) called 7778 BAR-B-Q BLACK. Comes in 8 oz can.

16. Yep, done it lots of times, with all types of paint. Just try not to put it on too thick, tends to crack and flake off.

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Eastwood has a brush on engine paint.

18. stovebolt55

stovebolt55

The POR15 engine paints are great. I brushed it on and it looks amazing.

19. mj40's

mj40's

Por-15 in Oldsmobile gold. Brushed it on and it is smooth.

[​IMG]