Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

subscibed 25 pages ago.. I DIG IT!!! I'm at the same stage with my '29 coupe.. I better get outside and get to work before it gets fuckin hotter...

2. Malcolm
    You and I most definitely have the same tastes. As I was looking through this thread I noticed we have the same gas tank and Battery in the exact same location!!!!

3. Malcolm,

I just caught up on your beautiful build thread. There’s not too many laudatory words left to choose from. You’re doing a terrific job, and you have lots of fans who are waiting for your roadster’s coming out party.

Try to stay cool in this heat wave. Perhaps when the weather cools a bit a pilgrimage to Omaha might be in order — to see your creation. By then my TR should be reliable enough for a one day journey.

Keep up the good work.

charlie
    aka trakrodstr

4. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

This is really shaping up nice. I love the lower shock mounts on the front.

Glad to see you're back at it...this thing's going to be killer.

5. Malcolm
    Here is the intake you need for your Roadster!!!

[​IMG]

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yep, that means you can drive it, too! :)
    Thanks for making the trip up to Omaha, hopefully you enjoyed your time here and visit to the Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed.

Funny you mention that, I actually checked around for an old couch before buying that hide.

Thanks, Dale... I'll see you there!

It has been HOT here lately, too. Quite a few 100 degree days and no AC in the garage, but I keep plugging away.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Have made some more good progress.
    Finally picked up the correct length brake hoses for the front, so brakes are completely plumbed. Just need to bleed them.
    Also cleaned, re-gasketed, and assembled the engine. It looked nice and clean inside, so I hope it'll run just fine.

Since I routed the exhaust under the car, there isn't much room for clutch linkage or an external slave cylinder. I decided to use a RAM hydraulic throwout bearing. Having never installed one before, I think the instructions included with it absolutely suck. Also, the guide pin wasn't included in the kit. One call to Speedway and they rounded one up for me. I looked up instructions online and they made much more sense. Took some measurements three times, shimmed the bearing, bolted the engine to the trans, and I'm confident it is installed correctly. We shall see soon enough!

Set the engine/trans in yesterday, will finish plumbing the t-o bearing tonight and bleed it and the brakes.

[​IMG]

My buddy, Clint, that covered the seat, offered to help with the body. He cleaned up and painted the underside and inside of the body. He will also be spraying bedliner underneath tonight.

(sorry about the crappy pic)
    [​IMG]

8. The frame looks great,,looks like your on a roll again! HRP

9. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Chassis and drivetrain are looking great, Nick. Also cool to see the underside of the body and inside are painted. You gotta be getting pretty stoked by now, man! I'll be looking for you in Salina!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  10. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Very good job on your roadster

11. odins701

odins701

12. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Looking good! Now all you have to do is throw a steering column on that chassis and go for a drive!

13. ryno

ryno

someones getting close to having a driving hot rod...
    frame looks really good in person fellas, the whole build does for that matter.

thanks for taking me around the hood, enjoyed the speedway experience,just my attention span was going quickly, that and having a 6 hr drive ahead of me.......

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Body is painted inside and on the bottom side. Also sprayed bedliner on the bottom side.
    Body goes back on the frame tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 193257

Nick

Man its lookin good. Keep at it and hope you make it to B Ville. Rick

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Bolted the body back down on Sunday and started reassembly. There are still a few things I need to fabricate and/or figure out small brackets, etc. It's coming together, though.

Figured out a new mounting location for the taillights, since the old nerf/taillight bar just wasn't growing on me. I'll get a better photo of the new location tonight.

Also messed with the dash some last night. Push-button starter fits perfectly in the old windshield crank location in the dash 'waterfall'. I found the old on/off switch at a swap meet and it fit perfectly in the V8 ashtray location. The connections on the back of it are rather small, so I'm not sure how much amperage it could handle. It will not be wired up, just a dummy switch.

[​IMG]

17. norms30a

norms30a

That dash looks really good I admire your vision, wish I had more.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looking good Nick!!!!!

19. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Man, that dash looks so good. I dig the pushbutton starter location and the 'dummy' On/Off switch.

20. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Every time I see an update on your build, I have to change my britches. Can't wait to see it done!

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

man id better got buy a new terry cloth towel to bring with me when i see this mean machine in person, wouldnt want to leave a pool of drool around for some one to slip on ;)

22. Looking pretty cool Nick. As for the low amperage switch, you could use it to switch a relay, and run your headlights or something, that would be neat.

23. I like your gauge layout Hell I like the gauges!!!

Mine

[​IMG]

24. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Nick, this thing looks better every time I check on it. Keep it up, man. Your doing a hell of a job.

25. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

26. lukey

lukey

Looking really good man! Hey, it was really nice meeting you the other night! Thanks again for the springs

27. kisam

kisam

Looks great Nick...almost done!

28. ryno

ryno

alright dude, weekends over
    wheres the updates?

29. There was some electronic spaghetti pictured on his instagram feed...

30. Sweet build Nick, really coming out nice. I love the dash.