Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New A-Chassis, New Friend.....Great Day!!!! AND another PIC!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Answered a HAMB classified ad last week for some Model A parts and struck a deal with a great HAMBer and Marine Helicopter (THE Marine helicopter!!!!) mechanic!

I met my good friend Russell (ssrs71) at his house, hooked up the trailer and set on a 4-hour tour...er, trip up I-95 to Quantico. Uneventful trip other than the tree branches and downed power lines from Richmond to Quantico. Once on base, the damage caused by last night's severe summer windstorm was obvious. We stopped to try a potty break, but Mickey D's was closed due to no power! We pressed on to Jon's (jonb421) house.

Once there, we were met by Jon and his humble smile and a firm handshake, expecting nothing less from one of our Nation's great defenders. His garage door was wide open, giving us a glimpse to out booty of the day, a 1930 Model A coupe, less the body.

Jon proceeds to show us around the garage (after the much-overdue potty break), highlighting the complete rolling chassis along side the removed 5-window coupe body. Jon had sent his wife and kids on an expedition to find a place to keep cool, since he had been without power for the better part of the night and all morning. This dude may have been hot, but his photo is beside "cool" in Webster's big book of words!

We disconnected the drag link on my new chassis since the steering column was jammed, so we could roll it onto the trailer. Once strapped down, Jon proceeds to pull more parts and pieces from every corner of the garage....hood, package tray, mirrir, dinged center cap, floor and toe boards, headlights and headlight bar, bumpers....it just kept coming! And a tall cool glass of ice water in a really special glass tumbler (a real treat)!

As we marveled over his coupe body, he pointed out a cool vintage waterslide on his rear (removed) window....a "Barkdohl Lubes" sprint car piece! He's thinking of "framing" the glass and making a wall hanging. He also revealed his plans for a beastie 401 Nailed hot rod, chopped with a nice kicked frame!

Once loaded, Russell and I said out adios-es and set out for home. We hit 95 southbound and were immediately welcomed to the longest, thinnest parking lot I've sen in a while! Five miles in 20 minutes! So we hit the next exit to grab a bite and try our luck on US-1 south. BAD IDEA....or good idea as everyone else seemed to have the same idea! Two miles in about an hour! Found out the only traffic light in Stafford, VA is fully capable of bringing ALL traffic to a standstill if it doesn't have power! UGGGGH! Finally clear the light and get back onto 95. Smooth sailing until 2 miles from our exit....BOOOM! Trailer tire lets go! (Some may remember my escapades in May with same said trailer and 2 tires!)

Finally get the load back to Russell's place, where we promptly took the only pics of the whole adventure! (I've GOT to get better at taking pictures as things happen instead of waiting until the end!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to my favorite pirate for the use of the trailer and the great company for the day! We'll have to do it again soon! See you Wednesday!

And to my new friend Jon. Thanks for the deal and hospitality...and thanks most of all for your service! Can't wait to see what "perks" you share! Check your PM's!

And thanks to all that endure my endless questions as I set out on my quest to build an honest-to-goodness Hot Rod! If I'm pestering you....TOO BAD! There's more where that came from! :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Sounds to me like a great trip,new friends,old friends,enjoy the journey!

3. ^^^Thanks, It was a really good day....all but the traffic and tire! Going back up to Russell's to get the chassis and start pulling the items I need. Then y'all can start looking for adds in the remaining stuff!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!! I thought you bough the whole thing I was telling everybody how much you scored it for, they were all like what the!!!!???? Great looking chassis.

5. JJ, I got EVERYTHING but the coupe body....even the rearview mirror. Gotta thank Jon for the opportunity.....great guy!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great score and story, look forward to the ads. Bob

7. easyrider47

easyrider47

What's the lever coming from the steering column to the edge of the steering wheel rim. It appears to have a white knob on it.. Mike

8. Mike, I think it's a turn signal lever...the "whitr" is actually chrome. More pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone else have an id on this?

9. jonb421

jonb421

It was Awesome getting to meet you guys and like I said every handshake is an opportunity! more than happy to have you all up this way anytime! we finally got power back on today!

10. jonb421

jonb421

it is a turn signal lever it worked when the car was still hooked up

11. Great to hear about the power....I wondered all weekend about it. Glad to meet you , and we will keep in contact!

We had a similar storm, though not quite as widespread or destructive, here yesterday afternoon. Three confirmed deaths, one was a co-worker's father-in-law.

12. Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  13. Muttley

Muttley

You mean Bardahl? Like this one?

[​IMG]

14. Yep! That's really similar. His had a little "sunburn" and didn't have the oval.....

15. Muttley

Muttley

Cool, now answer my PM!! ;) :D

16. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Good for ya, Brett! Now that's 2 treasures of your's I want check out. I you hope you come upon a body for good deal too.

17. Bobby, I've got a complete tudor in my garage! You must have missed that thread!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  18. jonb421

jonb421

Ill have to get a picture of the sticker to put up on here

19. Please do Jon! Such a cool piece!

20. Here's Jon's Bardahl waterslide from his A-Coupe rear glass...told you it was cool!

Attached Files: