Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a couple years younger than you Marty, but I can remember similar situations where just being up close to a race car was a high point in my life when I was about the same age.
    Our next door neighbor drag raced as an amateur, and I could sit on the ground outside his garage all day and watch the guys wrench on cars. His son and I were the same age, and eventually we were both in the garage turning wrenches with guys we looked up to as giants.
    I remember going to my first drag race in the early 60's at the newly opened Woodburn dragstrip! Riding down there in a car that ran all day long was way more than I could ever dream of then!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I went to my first drag race at McMinnville in August of 1960, you are so right about the pure excitement, and to know someone who raced, it would have been a thrill. I am sure we both never dreamed we would be building our own cars, and have the car culture available to us today. I see your cool little Austin at events around here, I will make it a point to introduce myself.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Please do Marty! I'd enjoy meeting you and speaking to you too. I know we have acquaintances in common, just never met face to face.
    Vall

4. You guys just described the first time I went to the track at Janzen beach.

5. Blown Red Ram

Blown Red Ram
    from Kelso,Wa.

Marty,
    How about Ernie Stierly driving his Allied Plating cars? I can remember more than once if Ernie blew up an engine during practice he'd get a ride to his shop and drive his Winston West car up the street to the track and race it! I was fourteen or fifteen at the time and that made one HUGE impression on me. At that time in my life I'd never heard a cooler sound driving into the track at Portland!
    Tim

6. GARY?

GARY?

Hope I'm not barging in the middle of something but...

Here's and old shot of Jack's car before it went South to California a few years back.

Harold Hardesty has some great stories. I don't see him around much anymore.:(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  7. onefaststude

onefaststude

In my opinion, two of the greatest contributors to not only Oregon racers, but Northwest racers are Tom Wilford and Marty Strode.
    I first met Tom before his second Helicopter Crash, and met Marty a few years later.
    At that time I considered myself one of the "players" in the Northwest Willy's parts and Race Car scene along with Dour McDonald, Jack Coonrod, Tim Holt, and a couple of others.
    A few years later, Marty helped Tom to restore the famous "Ron Bizio" 33 Willy's A G/S pickup from the mid sixties, along with John Mitchell's dragster.
    Tom, who I consider a dear friend, suffered life altering results from the second helicopter crash, and Marty (a friend to all who have had the pleasure of meeting him) combined to make a large contribution to the early years of Nostalgia Drag Racing and continue to further the Nostalgia Drag Race heritage with their continuing input to this and other sites.
    When you think of Northwest Drag Racing Hero's, lets not forget two of the best: Tom Wilford, and Marty Strode, who are two of the best.
    Bob Drury

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, Thanks for the kind words. You are so correct about Tom Willford, he is the encyclopedia I use the most for anything Drag Racing. He has supplied more rare parts than anyone I know, for the restored race cars we all admire. The pics are of Tom and I at Bakersfield back in 2002. I had just finished his Coleman car (worlds fastest Chevy) in 1961. I can never thank him enough for his friendship, that is why I restored the 'Coleman', without any charge for labor. The other shot is of the 'Willford,Strode and Mead' Nostalgia AA/F he funded for me to drive and be partners with him and my old pal Bobby Mead. BTW Bob is from Oregon, now living in Washington , he spent a fair amount of time working with some big Oregon Drag Racers, I would like to see a picture of his Bonneville Stude on here. Come on Bob, post it!

Attached Files:

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, Thanks for posting that pic of Jack's old Hardtop. If you could find some information and pics of Bob Christy since he was from your area, we would appreciate it. I met him once at a dirt race at Banks and didn't know much about him at the time, lost opportunity for me as he was a pretty big deal in the 50's, I found out later.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is some eye candy, the aforementioned Tom Willford doing his business at the wheel of the Bizio truck. Photo shot by his 9 year old son at Fremont in 1988!

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is the pic.

Attached Files:

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Tim, we will sooner or later get some shots of Ernie and the rest of that group, real history there, thanks for the input on Ernie!

13. GARY?

GARY?

I'll ask around. Ross Johnston (Ross Johnston Tire Sales) is a wealth of knowledge about the circle track action of these parts. I'll pick his brain tomorrow.

Here's another. Sorry they are so small.

I just asked Jason (Wilford) about the pic above of his dad, he remembered it well. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  14. Ron67

Ron67

Let us not forget Bob Scovell in the open wheel community!

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I don't have any pics of Bob Scovell, but this is his brother Art.

Attached Files:

16. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Marty, I think someone should start a thread just about Tom!! Chris

17. Bob McCabe

Bob McCabe

Marty, any luck? Bob

18. earlymopar

earlymopar

"I went to my first drag race at McMinnville in August of 1960."

Ha! We (my family) had just arived in the Willamette Valley at that time but it was the following year that I first attended there myself (at roughly the same age as you). A great spot with lots of good memories.

- EM

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In some earlier posts I have mentioned Keith Randol, the man who built the "Orange Crate". Keith was one of the few who could do it all, when it came to race car construction. He built chassis, engines of all types from V/8 60's to turbo Offys, hand hammered aluminum bodys. He built the Champ Car in these photos. It had been sold it to John Gregg from Vancouver, John's Brother Mike was driving it at a vintage race at Lebanon and Keith was the mechanic. Keith (in the red cap) was in his late 70's and having some problems changing the plugs, as it was a tight fit under the hood. I was honored to lend a hand, and had some good times visiting with him over the next few years. His nickname was "Grumpy", he was a quiet no nonsense "master" of race cars!

Attached Files:

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I just got off the phone with Rolla Vollstedt, we had a good laugh about a Track Roadster he built. The yellow one in the picture with Len Sutton kneeling in front of. About 10 years ago Rolla decided to build this roadster, I had been building several at that time. I helped him out with some tube bending and some sheet metal work. When it came time to build a hood, he had his good friend Don Shervey, who owns Rolla's #16 Indy Car and another "Great Oregon Racer" in his own right, haul the roadster out to my shop. We no more than got the car unloaded and Rolla said "how long is this gonna take", my back hurts! I promptly went into my office and carried out a recliner, and said "take it easy". Don and I went to work on the hood, while Rolla went to sleep, and yes he snores! While working away, I made the remark to Don, "he is 85 you know", and to my surprise, Don said "I am 82"! I couldn't believe my ears, as Don had recently been clocked in his Indy Car at over 150 mph! It took us 2 to 3 hours on the hood, Rolla stills says he went to sleep, he dreamed about his hood, when he awakened he had one!

Attached Files:

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is one of my favorite Track Roadster pics, it was taken at Portland speedway in 1947. It captures the Hotrodder and his race car in the 40's to perfection. He is Don Turner with his '27', it is sponsored by "Specialty Ford", which I believe was called "Johnson's Specialty" in SE Portland. They sold Ford parts until the 80's. Another Bobby Mead photo.

Attached Files:

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Back to the drags:
    Medford 1961, Bob Duedall from Albany stripped the engine, wheels etc, off of his beautiful, purple 34 coupe and put together this Chassis Research K88 dragster. In the group shot Bob is working on the engine, next is another Albany racer Duane Becker, Ron Salisbury is in the drivers seat (warming it up for Bob) and last is Jim McCormick. The shot at the starting line has Duane running back after helping Bob get ready to go. I love these pictures! Note the "Rumblers Racing Team" 'T' shirts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  23. Great pics, you could post stuff like that all day long and I'd never tire of it! Thank and I'm glad this thread is still going!

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In an earlier post I mentioned Bob Christy from southern Oregon, I mentioned he was a "big deal" in the 50's and 60's. Here are some shots of him at Indy.

Attached Files:

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Christie had a long career in USAC and had the nickname 'Caveman.' Probably best described as a 'journeyman' driver. Here's some shots of his early days at Indy:

Attached Files:

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Can't believe all the great pictures you've got Marty! Thanks for sharing them!

27. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking for any info on this Oregon car.

Thanks

28. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Attached Files:

29. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

Pic of Twig's new car after I painted it a few years ago. He showing how much lower the new car is compared to the old one....not the length of his
    johnson....

[​IMG]

Old car:
    [​IMG]

New car:[​IMG]

Dick Pruitt did the grille and headlights on the original car back in the 70's, and he did them on the new car. The stories were worth the price of admission.

30. NORSON

NORSON

Marty
    It was Johnson Ford Specialties. It was on Stark about where Elmer's is now. Bought a pedal assembly for a '39 when I was converting my '38 to juice brakes. Must have been '62. The building looked like an old dealership. Norm