Register now to get rid of these ads!

This is OUR version of history.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky Famoso, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Went to a "Traditional" car show today.
    Apparently history is being rewritten.
    When I tried to impart some of my real life experiences, and knowledge, I was relegated to
    "Invisible Old Man" status. Some younger people (that seem to be immersed in tradition),
    really don't want to hear how it was.
    Or, is it just me?

(correction made to read some younger people)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Its not just You!!

3. Maleficus

Maleficus

When I'm at a show, I would never ignore someone who has a wealth of experience, the only people I might ignore are the ones with a 150k billet car that came in on a trailer. However, there are young people at shows who ignore people with experience, and they do so because the are too ignorant to recognize it

P.S. I'm 21.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That's sad, real life experience is how we learn the right way it was done back in the day. Don't sweat it, there are younger people out there who appreciate the older individuals and look up to them for inspiration and guidence, I know I did. You have to respect tradition

5. daddio211

daddio211

I'm all for hearing about the good ol' days, come lean on my car for a while and we'll BS!

6. Like the movie, ''They can't handle the truth'' because it doesn't fit their agenda.

7. TERPU

TERPU

Don't sweat it Rocky,

The guys that know will always know and be sought out. It'll take the younger guya a while to figure it out. When he does he'll know he missed a chance and wil feel like an ass.

Tim

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Thanks guys for the responses. Feel a little bit better now.
    Before my days are up, I just want to help my beloved hobby,along the way.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

lots of people out there are just into stylin' the latest trend. their fantasy is their reality. there are plenty that want to truly live & breathe "Traditional", and those are the ones that really count.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Alot of the younger crowd have listened to their friends and their "mags" and believed. They are a hard lot to deal with in the reality department. BUT, it is good that they want to be in the old car hobby no matter how much they care or don't care to learn or ignore.

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I like that,...pasadenahotrod. I listen.

12. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I remember when I was young I thought I knew everything. It wasn't until I got old I realized I didn't know shit! Ha Ha! But seriously it's not just cars, it's everywhere. I'm all the time telling the kids at work something won't work and they're like "how do you know"? I tell them we tried that 15 years ago. Then they proceed to do it anyhow. I just sit back and watch. The good ones come back and say they should have listened. The twits just keep on being what they are.

13. Gator

Gator

Nope, they want you to go suck a lemon...

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hurrah! Hurrah! Finally someone wakes up and see the light. I thought I was the only one who sees all the B.S of young turds. Hopefully one day all those young turds will move onto different cars like Hyundai's or Kia's.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  15. Rusty old pile of Shit....check

Bad welding......check

Mismatched tires (balder the better) ......check

8 inch pompadour, 4 inch cuffs, wallet chain that hits the knee.....check

Tattoo on neck...... check

Practice looking cool with arms folded......check

Wifebeater and P.B.R.....Check

ALL TRADITIONAL .......

Right?

16. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Im 20 and anytime I can hear some history from an old timer I take the chance! Got a lot of good advice that way!

17. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

How could you not want to talk to the old timers and hear their perspective? Maybe since I was a history major and library guy, I realize the value of oral histories. Not trying to sound holier than thou, I just love a good story from the old days and its place in the American experience.

This got me to thinking, HAMB should really try to set up some sort of written and/or oral history page (kind of like storycorps.org). It wouldn't be too hard to do and I'd be willing to help.

I used to run around with a bunch of idiots who eventually got into the rockabilly, ratrod retro posuer scene after burning through other scenes that have come and gone. There is a lot of real phoney assed scenesters here in CA.

18. rotenjon

rotenjon

I grew up in the 60's and early 70's and i would always hang out with my dad and his friends out in the garage or at the antique car club. I learned alot back then, i am 55 now and have my dads 1927 T coupe that he restored and am finishing up my 1927 T Tudor hot rod trad style. I was just at a car show today and was looking for all the "old guy's" to hear there stories. You can never learn enough or stop learning altogether unless you want too! Keep the tradition alive!:cool:

19. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Fuck 'em.

20. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Yeah, that was my first thought.
    But, I probably care too much.
    So it kinda' bothered me.

21. When I was about twenty years old this old guy had me do some work on his house ... when I was done ( it was an outside job) he asked me into the house and he would show me old car pics he had and cut me a check.

Welp the house really stunk of cigars and it was musty but I figured I would just grab the money and go .... well this old guy come in with all these scrapbooks and puts them on the table and goes through them ...... all pics from the fifties at El Mirage and Bonneville of cars he built, hauled, pitted, and others owned by friends and timeslips ..... I recall alot of bitchen bitchen cars and history there but I just wanted to grab my money and leave that stinky joint .... I had a few beers and college girl in the reclined position waiting for me .... so I was short with him and skied out of there ..... he has since died (it was over forty years ago) and DAMNIT! I kick myself everytime I think about what I missed out on and what a jerk I was ......
    .... my point .... not your loss, their's, someday they too will probably kick themselves

22. well im 42 and i still listen to ,ask, hangout with guys older then me allways have allways will

23. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, but some of you old guys can sure go on....

KIDDING!

Kidding, only kidding.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not just cars, it's everything. This whole country is full of people who wouldn't know factual history about anything if it punched them in the face. They don't care and don't even want to know, intentionally. They just invent their own history to fit whatever agenda that suits them best. It isn't just ignorance, it's willful ignorance, laziness, selfishness and stupidity all wrapped into one.

25. Even us old guys dont like those that constantly flap the jaws .... thats when we turn down the hearing aid.

26. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

True statement.......................................:D
    40 years of our life's in 14 minutes of your time, can be pretty tiring.

27. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

im all for old timers giving me tips and storys but u call my car a rat rod ill go off on ur ass!! just not painted yet:D

28. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i love it because you never know who your going to meet, like say Carol Shelby? haha talked to him for about half an hour a while ago at some show (and i mean a while ago) and didnt recognize who he was till people started asking for him to sign stuff. man he had some good stories. at the GNRS last year i was talking to some older guys sitting next to a salt flat racer and they let me sit in it, thought it was awesome! found out later the guy and the car were speed record holders for a year or so. . .yeah ill listen. lol

29. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I agree.

In regards to "old guys" (I'm 53) telling me about car history, or anyone wanting to talk about old cars, I'm all ears! I get turned off if anyone, old or young, tells me about the "mistakes" in my car, or how they could do it better.

30. ratman

ratman

I get pissed when I hear young turds telling everybody how it was "Back in the Day". Truth is they were still swimming around in there old mans ball bag "Back in the Day"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.