Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wire wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by potter142, Jun 30, 2012.

1. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

I have wire wheels all around my 1935 Ford. Not sure of the manufacture
    But I thought they were damn nice. Now I find that the frond wheels wobble.
    Does anyone know of a shop in Tennessee that can straighten them? Hmmm?

2. Potter: One thing to watch for is where the wires seat on the drums. Assuming you have 40-48 style hydraulic brakes, the area where the wheel meets the drum has a factory weight welded to the drum. The wheel will contact the weight on one side and then seat on the drum itself on the other. This causes the wheel to be "offset" or crooked. Steelies of course don't since they were part of the design. I ran into this on my truck and used spacers behind the wheels. I had wires on a 34 sedan once but can't recall what we did then to overcome the issue, that was in the mid 70's. PM me if you need more info. Tim

3. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

Thanks for the information Tim, but I have a Mustang II front suspension.

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

OK, but what kind of brakes? Discs?Drums? The 35 wire wheel is fussy as to what it seats on and if its been mounted and tightened on the woing surface it may already be distorted around the lug holes.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

Dale is dead on. Mustg II had 4 x 108 lug pattern. I have a custom build that uses Mustg II 4-lug bolt pattern frt and rear, disc brakes up frt and drums in the rear, and pwr rack and pinion steering. Had to use wheel spacers to bolt the 14" 4-lug Tru-Spoke wire wheels on.....or the wheel went on crooked.

6. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

Lots of good advise here. I believe my wheels are from Wheel Smith they are 15". I have
    Disks up front and drums in the back. I thought the problem was crumby front tires so I
    Bought new ones. When the installer was balancing them he made it a point to show me
    The wheel wobble. Still need someone to try to straighten them. Thanks y'all.

7. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

8. jazzbum

jazzbum

maybe try an american motorcycle shop? harley shops lace and true a lot of wire wheels

9. You say wheelsmith built them. Get in touch with them. I'm pretty sure they can fix them.

10. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

I can fix them for you, Give me a call at 559-322-2128. I fix theirs all the time.

11. chris sage

chris sage
    from CA

Yea right Jimmy

12. Damn Jimmy, he called you out :rolleyes:

13. BigEd

BigEd

14. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Well, he is a Master Wheel Builder.