Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gloss vs Faux Finish AKA Rolling Bones Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Master of None

Master of None

I think that dependent on the gloss color scheme, two tone, black , graphics and how many coats of clear. The time lines would be close to the same due to the coats of colors and the "hand time" scuffing and aging of the cars. Plus you'd have to account for dry times and set times for paint to harden to get desired effects.

2. It's just a preference. It takes a real talent to achieve a "surviver" look on a new build. I would like the car just as much if it were gloss red. Shiney paint takes much more time,do to block sanding,perfect body underneath,and polishing after...Door gaps don't have to be so exact,all the dings don't have to be addressed,etc. Personally,I don't get rattle-can paint jobs. Why not just go to One Day Paint! Cheap and it will look better.
    I didn't intend to offend you,just couldn't believe you don't like the look.
    Seems like the "Holy Grail" these days is a Barn Find,ANYTHING! It only makes sense that guys would copy that look.
    Jimmy Shine builds a bare metal Pick-up,next thing you know...bare metal cars everywhere...

3. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Ya know I can't remember the last time I had nothing more important to do than put down somebody else's hot rod. Aren't we all really just building time machines , hot rods that take us back to sometime during our youth. If shiny perfect paint and chrome with a 350 / 350 is yours then great . If we build a hot rod with a story to tell of kicking up the dust of El - Mirage or tasting the salt on Bonneville then what's it to you. We still haven't found the rule book of do's and don'ts. So we will keep taking our hot rods to the salt and racing them . After which we will lean on them with our friends , have a beer and not worry if we might scratch the finish.
    As far as the finish goes having painted hot rods with as close as we could prefect paint and painted hot rods that hopefully tell a story of days of drag racing on a Saturday night or waiting for the starter to say the course is yours, hands gripping the wheel as you look over the louvered hood and down that long white path with floating mountain off in the distance we would say they both require the time to make them right.
    It's nothing to do with dents or rust or being worn out . It's about looking at a time machine . A time machine that sez come on get in an lets go , a time machine that screams hot rod , a pure raw hot rod of a time gone by that when you get behind the wheel will take you as far and as fast as your imagination want to go. And the best part about it is she will do it while your leaning on her cause your not worrying about where your duster is.

Attached Files:

4. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

You probably forgot more about painting than we have but you don't have a clue as to our method and maybe you can give us a few pointers about body work and door gaps

5. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

You probably have forgotten more about paint and body work than we know but every thing in your post about our methods is wrong . Maybe you could also give us a few pointers on body work and gaps

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

To add to the OP question, I think it's a wash time wise. Both will take about the same time if you want to age the satin paint, or buff out the glossy paint.
    I drove my car for the spring/summer in it's original black paint. Lots of good responses to the old paint, but I really always intended to get it finished and glossy. After getting it painted I think a good portion of those who knew it before liked it better with the old paint. I even was a little uneasy at first, but quickly grew to like the glossy finish once I got all the chrome and lettering on it.

7. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Ken/Keith
    Your Taste, Style, & Credibility is certainly revered here on this site and all of Hotrodding. Dont let this cat get under your skin. The vibe your builds give off to me has always been a glance of the way it was in the early days of dry-lake racing.
    Just keep doing what you do, building killer Hotrods and let the Haters Hate, who cares!!!

8. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Thanks , it's fun poking the hornets nest once in a while , it brings out the insecurities of some about their own cars . We will always stay true to our vision

9. I first saw the Bones cars at Bonneville,2010,at the Hop Up BBQ and was amazed! When you guys pulled up to me at Bobby Waldens,I couldn't believe that red one! In my opinion....the best one so far. Didn't think I would see anything better than the brown and tan 32. Absolutely love your style....

I had slddnmatt paint my Merc with black basecoat so I could polish it a little to make it look like it was built a LONG time ago. With the roadrash over driving it the last seven years,and about 60-70k miles,it now looks like it was done years ago.

10. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Bob , Thanks for the kind words . This whole deal is about having fun with cars and never growing up . People who have time to worry about how you build your car can't be having all that much with their's . We have fun with ours . Next time you see us come on over an lean on ours , the bar is always open , that goes for anyone who does it for the right reasons . It's about the people you meet along the way , the cars are the glue

11. Master of None

Master of None

And this is why I love the cars you Ken/Keith build. Good people.:D

12. TV

TV

Well, I can tell you that there was as much work in prepping Kevens (Hot RodVons) roadster for primer as any gloss paint job. And everybody thinks it's primer. Ha HA.--TV I gotta agree with you on that one, you guys are the best.

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

I just don't remember seeing all that many fake paint jobs, or people trying so hard, "back in the day".... I suppose I just wasn't paying any attention as to what would be considered "traditional" now... :cool:

14. Muttley

Muttley

No, but I dont want to be a laughing-stock either.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point muttley. Kinda like the gasser madness fad too. Cars rolling in that can't make a safe turn at any speed over 10mph because they're so damn high and goofy lookin. Real gassers didn't look like some of the latest "cartoon" versions. Is it kool? Maybe to some, to others it may appear as an oddity like a 5 legged cow or something, akin to trying to build a period digger with 45 degrees of dump in the drivetrain. It just wasn't done, and what was done is a form follows function thing.

We should be happy that some of those late 60s kustoms aren't coming back into vogue. Cock-eyed plexiglass, fins in every direction, 6" shag carpets, fake cocktail sets, and 1/2 dozen headlights on each side to balance the 20 tailights...eewww!

16. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

A few years back we built my 32 Roaster. (see photo) I told my good friend I wanted a real driver...well it turned out pretty nice and I do drive it quite often but only on nice days. I did like someone mentioned above use a matte base and matte clear coat to help tone it down a lot. I wanted an "old school hot rod".

So this time around I'm currently building a 32 three window coupe again "old school style" with a little "patina" added in just the right places but not over the top. This time around it will be a real driver and parked outside in the sun a lot more than the 32 Roadster! It will be driven on rainy days and hopefully all the rain, sun and true fun as "Bones Crew" does add to the vintage appearance.

It's interesting around here in Amish Country where some of the finest oak furnature is made that they just started making old vintage looking furnature with patina in just the right places. Just recently my wife and I stopped in a local furnature store and right there in front of us was a really vintage looking table and hutch and for a moment I really thought is was an antique set! Then the owner who I know told me they just started making the vintage sets and people are going crazy over it! We loved the worn warm look that could almost tell a story of time past however our home is full of the finest finished oak furnature we purchased the past two decades. Wish we could do replace it all for the warm well lived look!!

The older I get the more I appreciate vintage old time looking furnature, barns, cars and hot rod shops. I know when we picked up my roadster from Gary at his old time rod shop at "Cornhusker Rod & Custom" I thought what a really cool place. Like the photo of the "Bones" shop....man that's living!

With all that said I still dream of owning a sweet old 39 Ford coupe with nice old time black gloss paint to go out on a nice evening in!! But nothing too fancy....

32 Spitfire

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502413&highlight=32+spitfire

17. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

photos for above....

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

19. to answer your question Bob, i feel it is a lot harder, and more work, to achieve a good faux/distressed paint job. a shiny good paint job is, just that, put it on, cut it smooth, buff to shine...done. distressing requires multiple layers of sanding/colors and then try getting any flaws out. then you stand back and look at it and say it needs more here, or less there or maybe less shine, then what do you do?

20. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Someone earlier said that the Rolling Bones cars are works of art. To see one up close, that's exactly right. To do a bad faux distressed paint job on a car may take just as long as a great shiney one. But the RB cars are different. I don't think that the paint defines them at all. The little things that they do to those cars to make the stand out without the paint is what makes their cars special, but the paint jobs I think accent those cars in the right way. A minimalist look, no frills, super bad ass Hot Rod with a blown flathead. Little things like the signature front end, headlight bars and smoothing the bump on the '34 frame. All make one of their cars look fast standing still. Put the same paint job on tail dragging air bagged Model A sedan with a 350 and spider webs and it misses the mark. I've seen cars with an attempt at the faux-tina thing and they would put the "wear" patterns in places that made absoultly no sense. I guess if you attempt a paint job like that you should do the research first to at least see where paint fades on a car.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I always liked this circa 1962 photo of the Don Noyes '32 Roadster. Bob

Attached Files:

22. From a guy who knows!

23. I'm painting mine shiney single stage brown acrylic urethane...screw the buffin'. I figure time and a lotta washin' will take care of the dirt that lands in the paint, and I can always sand out a run or two later....gee...then it will have patina. Go figure....

24. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

As much as I loved the original "Bones" cars when they came out, I think 3W Larry's coupe really took that style to next level being finished with gloss paint and all. Kind of like the style the "Bones" shoot for BEFORE it went into the barn! ;)

25. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Should be READ THIS FIRST at the top of the page^^^^^^

26. bobscogin

bobscogin

Don, in some respects, we do. When we participate in this forum, there is an underlying implication that we're here because we like and build a particular style of car; a "style" of car that was the product of other hot rodders from a past era. Therefore, to a large degree we check the "it's your car, build it like you like" philosophy at the door. One can build his car "like he likes" as long as what he likes fits within the traditional parameters. You've seen the crap thrown at folks who fit billet wheels to their cars even though it's what they like. Point is, building what you like is OK, but what you like had better have a basis in tradition. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure there are other hot rod forums where you can "build it like you like because it's your car" and be fully accepted, but it doesn't happen here.

Bob

27. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Hmm, I always thought that my roadster was pretty shiny, particularly bearing in mind she's raced at 7 Speedweeks and racked up tens of thousands of miles...

[​IMG]

Regards

Jon'.

28. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

I saw and spoke to DUALQUAD55 today at the rumblers show ,he still does not get it -what a shame he is such a nice person .

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

This thread will go FOREVER because nobody understoor the original question.--------------
    Just wondering if you took two identical cars with PERFECT ready to paint bodies, one to get a gloss finish the other a "Rolling Bones" faux finish, would the gloss finish get finished in half the time? :confused:

Leave out the people, get two new '32 Ford deck lids, paint one Gloss Black, do the other in a destressed faux finish, tell me which one gets finished first?

30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

From ready to spray to completed....I'd say a believable patina job would take longer...in actual working on time.

The "gloss" job would require time for the paint to fully cure etc to get a perfect buffing out so in total time, including the time spent waiting around, it would take longer...but in JUST hands on, working time alone...I'd have to say patina is most likely longer and more intensive.

I work in the Autobody trade so the "gloss" job is my day to day bread and butter. To me, its become boring to even think about that part of the job!

The Patina style job is a challenge that would be difficult to pull off in a believable fashion. Done nicely, I consider it just as much a true "finish" as I do BC/CC!

Note...I'm NOT talking rusty/crusty junk being passed off as a "finish" here.

I'm talking an effective paint finish that will properly preserve the metal but that has a worn...lived in look.