Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anglia Owners Show me your Straight Axle Frontend!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FunnyCar65, Jun 1, 2012.

1. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Need some ideas for a straight axle setup under the Anglia I bought, also what width you guys running kinpin to kinpin?Any info you can throw my way will be greatly apperciated I'm new to these little bastards.

2. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

3. carryallman

carryallman

i just snapped some pics of an anglia axle set-up, i done for a buddys anglia /but its dropped w/super bell spindles and i believe a cricket or colt rack and pinion -worked good -but small ? axle is 1 3/4 od moly,kp to kp at c/line is 37 1/2 " /i believe the super bell spindles are differant dimensions that ford ??BUT the axle clears the fenders w/ a small 4 " wide rim ! cant read the tape measure ? but wheel to wheel dimension is 46 3/4 " hope this helps you

4. Larry T

Larry T

Your kingpin distance is gonna depend on what spindles you want to run--Anglia or Ford. I'm pretty sure there are several threads on the widths.
    Larry T

Here ya go.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543111&highlight=anglia+axle+width

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock Anglia is 41+ kingpin to kingpin. I think the stock trackwidth is 46 1/2 (if I remember correctly). If you put spindle mount wheels on the stock axle you end up with around 48 trackwidth.

I've got an aftermarket (Specialty Cars) axle for Ford spindles in an Anglia. It's 37" kingpin to kingpin and gives a 47" trackwidth using Magnum hubs and disc brakes.

5. carryallman

carryallman

cant seem to get my pics to post ?any ideas ?

6. cheapracer

cheapracer
    from China

I show some shots and details of another type of beam later this week sometime, not sure if it's of use to you or not....

7. southern thunder

southern thunder

I built one a few years ago. ordered the axle 36" pin to pin. used speedway chev. spindles, and nova disc, ansen 15x4 slots fit in the fenders right where the stock tires and wheels fit.

8. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Awesome thanks for the info!

9. FEDER

FEDER

Shaky Puddin had a real good post on straight axles. He broke a cheap one, so dont go that route. You can search shaky puddin for the thread. Fed

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not an Anglia, but my Austin is the same width. I'm using a Speedway axle set up to steer up front, as it's too crowded to steer behind. Corvair box. Same 36" kingpin to kingpin. With 3.5"x15" slots.
    [​IMG]
    Got rid of the square Speedway U bolts today, and swapped to some round U bolts that I had Oregon Spring build for me. I like the axle, perch and spring all sandwiched together for more strength:
    [​IMG]

Mine's kinda nose up, but if you wanted it lower you can order it with a 4" drop, or do whatever to the mounts to drop the nose.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  11. here's a pretty good view of mine - from the late 60's
    [​IMG]

12. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

AWESOME!Thats the kinda info that'll help me out.

13. Mine's not in yet but I was going for that tucked in the fender look;34 and 3 quater inch :eek: issues with the spring fixings though