Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Some of my 40 Pickup is back!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1great40, Jun 23, 2012.

1. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

This is the 40 in my avatar. I have been doing tons of bodywork on it including the priming and blocking. I have a freind that's got a really good body shop and he has been doing the painting. It's Meadowmist Green a Ford color from 55-56. The hood, fenders and bed should be done this week. I hope my luck holds out on the bodywork, so far it's pretty darn straight. I took a night course for autobody work about 40 years ago so I have been doing a lot of reading and learning about how the materials have changed over all that time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  2. Nice project..coming along nicely.

3. That looks great.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks good so far. show us some more!

5. Is that a fiberglass body ?

6. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Yeah it is a glass body, just the fenders and the cab. I'm up in MA and I looked long and hard for some steel but everything was junk. Then, don't you know 3 weeks after I took delivery on the cab, I found one not 4 miles from my house with the floors and firewall all done and I didn't have a doggone dime to pick it up :(

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - par for the course on finding the other cab after buying one.

8. mj40's

mj40's

Nice color, now paint that firewall Wimbledon white. Keep us posted with lots more photos.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  9. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I really like your color choice, your truck will really stand out

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Looking good. Can't wait to see more

11. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Wimbeldon White! The color of my dads old 72 Torino! I don't know if I could keep it as clean as you do. It does make a great backdrop for that golden Nail Head!

12. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

Looks great Tom,I'm glad to see you got it back from body shop.I do like that color.

13. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Thanks John. I think it's the same color as Woody's 56.

14. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

From the pictures I would say yes,it looks like the color.Its a great color,the truck should stand out.

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4ttruk

16. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I was at the body shop today and the front fenders and hood are painted and they look wonderful! So tonight my project was to install the engine and tranny. Of course the guy who always said, just call me and I'll be over was busy tonight, so me and my 16 year old daughter put it in! Please excuse the dust all over the engine, it's been sitting for quite a while.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  17. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Looking good. More pics please.

18. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Well I farted around for a few hours today with the connection from the right side head pipe to the manifold. I needed to massage it a bit to give me better clearance to the frame and get it to seal to the manifold properly. Then I hung the inner fenders. Then I went to the body shop and collected the front fenders and a buddy came by and helped me hang them. I'm also including a picture of a method I came up with about 10 years ago to dial in the hood to cowl gap. I mounted both inner fenders on adjustable rubber mounts that I got from McMaster-Carr. Since I wasn't using the original Y shaped yoke to hold the front of the fenders together, I didn't want to mount them hard to the frame since my cab is also on rubber from an S-10. So these adjustable mounts let me set the hood to cowl gap, essentially dialing in the whole sheet metal assembly up front and lets it flex when needed.

Attached Files:

19. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

Wow,you dont waste any time,Tom.Its really looking good.

20. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I don't have much time. My daughter is getting married on Saturday and she wanted to use the truck in a few pictures with the bridesmaids. The bad news is the bed probably won't be ready but The truck should look fine with some straight on and slight angle shots with enough people crowded around it :)

21. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

22. That is so cool! You are lucky to have a daughter who is willing to help, and she is lucky to have a dad that wants to spend time together. Awesome.

23. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Ive been hard at work with help from my daughters and couple of buddies. I want to have this thing trimmed out enough to use it in some wedding pictures on saturday!

Attached Files:

24. Thanks for sharing the picture of your adjustable mounts, I'll be doing my front fender soon, hopefully this tip will help this first timer.

25. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Its June 30, 2012. My daughter is getting married today and she wanted the truck for pictures. I have never been so freakin beat in my life, but it's together enough for the photo op.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  26. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

Holy crap,Tom,the truck looks pissah,you've been busy.

27. servi53

servi53

28. Your a GOOD DAD!!!

29. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

We need more pictures Tom.

30. Enjoying the pictures..... Very nice project!