Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Ed Roth story - what's yours?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotweel, Jun 29, 2012.

1. I just want to say, I was fortunate enough to see him at World of Wheels some years back. I just looked at him, he was too busy signing autographs on Finks. I have a signed Fink and cherish it.
    A couple of months later after seeing him, he passed away. So, I'm very blessed to see the man in person. Long live Big Daddy Roth!

2. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

i had the pleasure of meeting ed at eastcoast nats late 80's. to me it was like seeing a moviestar!! i was such a roth fan i was afraid to approach him, but my old lady talked me into it.i was wearing a t-shirt i had drawn of a 67 nova, roth style.he complimented my work, and said send the design to utah. he said he was hungry, i offered to buy him lunch, he woofed 4 hotdogs like it was his last meal. we shot the shit for a hour or so, i bought a shirt some stickers, great guy, r.i.p. big daddy, its all your fault i have that tall skulled shifter!!

3. 1 of most prized possesions.
    don't think he ever did another 1.

Attached Files:

4. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I met Roth in the 60's a friend Skip Gibson ask me to go with him to a car show at the Earl Warren fair ground in Sants Barbara, Skip knew Ed, he was at the show doing T shirts we went out side to BS and saw Ed's ride, a Chevy sedan delivery that he was sleeping in the back of like a motel room, had a shipping crate blanket and food wrappers all over the car... 30 plus years later I was going out onto the salt flats and there was Ed sitting in his top hat waving at every one going in I stopped and ask him if he remembered Santa Barbara show and Skip he said yes but not you, a big laugh and then said just kidding..Great Guy

5. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

We were at one of the Rat Fink Reunions at Kim's Sign Shop in Fullerton, Lots of great artist were there: Von Franco "I think he was wearing one of his shirts that said the Kookie Car Lives" Steve Stanford, Tom Taylor etc.

These reunions usually had a car someone rented and all the strippers would stripe it, and there was always a truck "dualies were the style back then" with the bed filled with ice and beer !!

The art auction just finished and I walk up to were Ed was standing, there was this french fry container "see photo" pinned on the wall, Ed say's to me did you get anything, I said naw outta my price range, he turns around took the fry container off the wall and says here's your prize for the night, before I could thank him someone called him away. Now this item was not signed and I didn't know who actually did the art work.

In 99 at one of the Mooneye's Reunions, I took it with me, saw Ed and thanked him for the container, he said where did you get that, I told him the story, he signed it right there as again he was being called away by Chico.

Maybe Von Franco or someone here know who drew it ???

Sorry about the glare by I have it framed.

Attached Files:

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

In the late 90's, I had my Model A sedan in an indoor car show. During set up day, Big Daddy had a tee shirt booth and walked over and asked to borrow a 7/16 wrench. We had a long talk, he asked me a lot about my work and he talked of his marriages and all his kids. The next day, I had him sign some model boxes I had. What a great guy. RIP Big Daddy

7. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

8. bovman

bovman

It was a Saturday afternoon in 1967, the Rod & Custom show was being held at McCormick Place in Chicago (it burned down to the ground shortly afterwards). I was 14 years old and had to work till noon that day at my part time job. All of my friends had taken an earlier train into the city to get to the show when the doors opened. When I finally got to the building it seemed like the place had endless hallways and not a soul in sight. I turned a corner and saw a huge lone fellow coming the other way in the distance. When he got close I realized it was Big Daddy Roth himself. I was speechless, Ed gave me a "Hard Guy" nod, no doubt impressed with my horseshoe cleats (anyone remember those?) on my beetle boots and my black t-shirt. My friends refused to believe me when I told them the story, but I'll never forget that encounter. Sometime words don't need to be spoken, a gesture is worth a thousand spoken words.

9. unkamort

unkamort

I was just some guy buying a shirt at a Cow Palace show one year and had my then 10 year old son with me. I picked one out and Roth was about to sign it down under the art. I blurted out "Aw Man... don't do that! My belly gets all greasy!" Roth threw his head back and roared with laughter saying "Yeah... mine dose too!" I thought the kid was gonna sink through the floor. He sighed above the art and I still have it... never worn.

10. Met him at a car show once, got his autograph. He really inspired me as a youth...here are some examples that I have kept.

Attached Files:

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Where the Hell is Dick Page? Rainguy here on the HAMB....he's got a million of 'em!

12. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Great stories fellas! I met his son a few weeks ago for Eds grandsons cancer fundraiser, great guy and grandsons a great kid!
    Im surprised Bad Bob hasnt checked in here too, Ed was his godfather...he s got lots of greats stories!

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I built a website for him and he stiffed me! That's my story. :)

14. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

I was at the NSRA nats in columbus some time in the early 80's. Ed was there air brushin t shirts. I had my car parked kitty corner across the street from where he was. I asked him to do up a shirt of my car and he asked where it was and I said "over there". He told me to park it by him so I did but he wanted it parked a little different.
    I was havin a little electrical problem and had to start it with a screwdriver. Now the car is a 33 willys chopped, blown,wheelie bars, chute on da back, big and little halibrands type of car. Ed walks around the car and points over top of the chute and asks "whats that mean" I told him just what it says "Trailered Cars Suck". I drive, I don't need no stinkin trailer !
    So he starts painting but gives me his camara and has me takin pics of just about every other car that goes by. He kept tellin me "Get that one and that one" so I didn't get to see him paint the shirt.
    So when done I looked at it and he had a monster stickin outta the top holding a frickin screwdriver and a little, little pic of a car trailer in the back ground, so I was like "what the hell is that trailer painted on there for" he just laughed.
    I've never worn the shirt to this day, its a treasured keep sake for sure

15. Model T1

Model T1

I followed Ed Roth and every story about him as far back as I can remember. I wanted to be a painter like him! Of course, never did. The time we met him our youngest son and my wife was with me as we headed to probably Ed's last trip to Daytona Turkey run. He had a small closed trailer with his name and some of his work painted on it. Don't even remember what he was pulling it with.
    Whipped around in our 55 Chevy wagon, got a little gas, even though I didn't need any, and had a short visit with Ed Roth. He was as kool as everyone said he was.
    Saw him again at the Speedway for just a brief time. He was really busy at his booth. But I was happy, I finally met the real Ed Roth! I wouldn't walk across the street to meet most celebrities but to me Ed was special.