Register now to get rid of these ads!

IAN's chevy..Paint problems,,,Whats going on in these pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Who puts that much bog in a car anyway .Must be 3 tins in that car, ok , will have half sanded off .Like in the last post , look at the different shades .If mixed right ya just dont get that.
    Far to many unknownes before the painter got it .
    I bet Jeff will be very careful next time .
    But the guys 'stick'n it in ' need to check all the facts.
    Hope it works out ok for all in the end all the same.

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As right and fair as I believe finkd to be, I don't think we should all gang fuck the builder either. Regarding different filler colors, every swingin dick in here that ever frosted a panel knows full well that each coat will NEVER be the same color. Anyone who says they mix their filler EXACTLY the same every time is either full of shit or too anal to ever make a client happy or make a dime of profit.

What has to happen here is, the last guys who worked on the surfaces should get hooked up with finkd and try to figure out where it went wrong. None of them should do it independently, and frankly even with digital pics, there's no way to get resolution to the issue without mutually diggin in and seeing, feeling, even SMELLING (yes, smelling!) the areas in question. The whole story will reveal itself in under 1 hour. Sadly I think everyone involved knows this and some are reluctant to get a skid mark in their knickers due to an error somewhere between the welding wire and the 1st idea to get it shiney. What's the worst case scenario here? One of the parties who should be involved might throw a hissy and call the others names? Someone's feelings might get hurt? Someone might have to say "whoa, I fucked up..."? I think as long as there's nothing at stake for all except to keep a kool car lookin good, it's a venture undertaken in everyone's best interest. Any members here that have a sincere desire to know a few of the ins n outs of this craft and what could go wrong are probably happy to gather this info in real life rather than in urban legend style. It's also possible that the areas in question could be simply fixed and blended out, never to appear again. As a side benefit the process developed to make the repair will be known by whomever does it in case it happens elsewhere on the car. It may not. As much as I hate bondo, I've indeed known ridiculous amounts to hang in there for decades. I've dug into repairs that are 10+ years old that still smelled like wet polyester when it got removed. It's sad it went this far guys. As kool as it is, it's a fuckin car and not worth fuckin up a personal or professional relationship over. Just sayin...

3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I think the offer and the reputation have both been sucessfully covered.
    Time to shut this one down before it gets any uglier.

4. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I HAVE TO AGREE, AND this thread needs to go down in history as the first thread ever that Ians car was involved and not 1 post from him, I learned alot on this one, and think next time I will let someone else get all the glory off of a project like this. This car basicly made Ian and , what ,....it was in every mag, ezine, and evey pro photgrapher wanted to shoot it with a model, and then there is the mad fabricators video, so I would say this car most deffanatly gave its all to the cause and doesnt owe anybody anything, and Like I;'ve said many times now all you gotta do is build 10 or so more to back it up. Oh and drive that shit cross country 4-5 times that is the true test, if it holds up then you done good. And if you got some shit to fix after a few long trips,...well , thats what happens when you drive em hard. I think there is a few car clubs around that stand for that....FBBF RESPECT !!!

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

I've been in the business for 40+ years (now retired). The thing that everyone eventually learns is you don't garrentee work that you didn't do. The other side of the equation is you also learn what can and cannot be done with bare metal and "bondo". It all hurts (it has to), but it's all good at the end of the learning process.

6. mlagusis

mlagusis

Looking at the pictures on thread #57, there is a lot of small spots of filler over large areas instead of larger more even areas of filler. This means that there is lots of edges to feather. I think the cracking is at feathered edges that are seperating from the material underneath. It seems that the method of aplication is a little backwards. You should have the small low areas filled in small batches bringing the surface of low spots even with the metal. Then you would want to spread an even and thin coat of material over the whole area and then block it out straight. The result would be an even coat of you lat coat of filler with out a bunch of spots of different batches applied like what you see in thread #57.

If you look at the pic on post #17 it looks to be a horizontal crack on the passenger side door. Look at the picture of the passenger side door in post #57 and there apears to be a feathered edge in the same area of the crack from #17.

Just my two cents. Hope you guys get the resolved and can repair what ever freindship damage that has been done. Good luck!

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

The only thing I will add to this thread is that I believe Ians talents as a body man have grown 1000 times over since the body work on this car was done.

I believe the painter and the owner will get it worked out and resume their friendship. In the end it's just another material possesion.

8. ryno

ryno

Well said....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.