Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Planets Align & I Buy a '41 Willys Coupe: Can you help track its racing history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jun 18, 2012.

1. titus

titus

Brain,

I know a bunch of local guys i can talk to about your car, i print off the pics and show them.

Im also friends with a guy that photographed at the drag strip alot back in the day and has tons of old prints he sell, i see if he has any pics of willys.

JEFF

2. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

There are lots of us out here & there hoping someone finds some info on this really cool car from the past.

3. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Time for a bump.....

Things pass by so quickly on this forum..... as well as life once you start getting SS & medicare..... Ha!!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Hey Tony, g-willys seems to think that ad placed in the MSRA magazine was done as a prank.

5. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Nice find Bass. That's going to make a hell of a nice ride. I'll be watching for the build.

6. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Awesome car!!!

Now i want a `41 steel Willys.....

392 Hemi with 6-71....yeah!

A blown 394 Olds with a 37 cad lasalle would be cool , too

Whatever, i can`t wait to see what Brian is gonna to do with it

7. cracker head

cracker head

I went to go check out this hunk of shit this week. It's a Bad. Mother. Fucker!!! 'Ol Dickie will do this car right. He should repaint it blue. That would be cool.....

8. gotta love it .....a Willis from the better half....bought them flowers yet?

9. ram-rod

ram-rod

Hey Bass. you should get in contact with Randy Furgeson over at metal meet.com.
    He hammers out replacment parts for willys. Randy or his customers might know something about your find :D

10. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Any new news, on the history

11. farmer12

farmer12

Congrats Brian, awesome find! Some guys have all the luck!

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

Awesome score. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

13. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

BUMP..... Been away ..... to LA visited NHRA Museum - So Cal Speed Shop - Kiwi Kev's & then to Vegas for a wedding.

Since seeing Kev's awesome "Nasty Habit" Willys coupe I've been wondering how things has been going in Dallas with your Willys??????

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  14. basicbob

basicbob

Brian, goog things happen to "Good People".

Great project going in & a super project coming out!

Can't wait to see it finished. Congrats Bob

15. Mart

Mart

Nice find, Brian, I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

Mart.

16. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Such a COOL CAR WOWWWWWWWW!!!!

17. rfraze

rfraze

Congrats fellow Texican! I have been working my way thru Drag Cars in Motion (finally got to page 402 of 1600+) and I remember seeing a 41 with those headlights. My best guess is somewhere between page 200 and 400. Keep your eyes open readers.
    I was introduced to these lights, happen to have a couple of pairs, so they caught my attention. I don't think they were all that common on race cars. Hope that helps.
    IMHO, everyone should have a late model Willis!

18. Firecat7

Firecat7

DUDE! WHERE'D U FIND THAT. CURIOUSITY FIND IT ON MARS????AWESOME.LOVE THAT SOMEONE LIKED TO DRILL HOLES.:eek:

19. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

rfraze.....You are my man!!!!

I have wanted a Willys since I built my first Revell model when I was a kid!!!!!

Never say Never..... :rolleyes:

20. titus

titus

I checked with some of my Willys friends and noone has heard the story or recognized the car, what can you do!

JEFF

21. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

any updates? all that drilling would be cause for a severe case of carpal tunnel,

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

23. bobw

bobw

I am a lifelong Minnesota resident and spent almost every weekend at Twin City Dragstrip starting in 1957. Later, when Minnesota Dragways opened I was there on Sundays and at Twin City on the nights they ran. I had a '33 Willys 4 door in 1965 and an Anglia Thames the following year. Also helped Al Tschida run his C/Gas cars including his Willys, starting in about 1961. The point in all this rhetoric is, with all that time at the tracks from 1957 til 1966, I don't remember ever seeing that car.

Keep in mind that for every car that actually raced there were dozens under construction by young guys hoping to hit the strip some day. My '33 Willys raced in Minnesota only twice and my Anglia hit the strip 3 or 4 times. Your car could very well have the same kind of history. Or it might have never hit the strip.

Titus mentioned earlier in this thread that he quizzed some of the old racers. Based on that it is doubtful it was built by anyone in any of the prominent clubs in the Twin Cities.

Since it is unlikely the car has a storied drag race history you should simply build to suit your tastes.

24. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

392 HEMI FOR SURE!!! Belly button engine my ass......

Congrats on finding a KOOL car, even if it has no track history it sure does have character. Do all of us wishers and dreamers proud. Now get to work on it, this one should have a free pass to the front of the line.

25. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Bob, thanks a bunch for posting. I really do think the car made it to a drag strip at some point, for the simple fact that all the suspension parts that were made for the car have a good coating of grime that could only have come from the car moving under its own power. However, I don't know if it actually was ran in Minnesota at all. That's where it was found, and that's the only reason I thought it might have been raced there.

It could have just been a street car, and never drag raced, but the tow bar tabs on the front and the dents in the front of the hood where a tow bar would have hit suggest otherwise.

I really appreciate all the input so far. I think sooner or later some history on the car is going to pop up, but it's starting to look like it may have been brought to the Twin Cities area after its racing career was over.

26. Wow, how did I miss this? She's awesome Brian, congrats!!!

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

To be honest I kinda hope you dont learn the history. Its a blank canvas in a true artists hands, shows us what you would do to a willys Bass, it couldn't be in better hands.

28. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Couldn't agree more. Build it your way, Bass!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. drumyn29

drumyn29

Instead of finding history, make history.