Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks my friend! :D

2. antiqueautomike

antiqueautomike
    from Spokane

I think your box under the seat is great, but why not just buy an optima and lay it on its side. Save that time you spent building a box for frolicking with the wildlife for the whole day instead of half a day.

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

....but then I wouldn't have that awesome battery box now would I? :rolleyes:

4. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

Clayton,
    Great progress, it is nice to see you have continued work on your car since I last saw it online. I am currently working on a speedster project myself and if I kick it into gear I may be able to drive it out to speed week too. Its one heck of a project and I have a new found respect for people who take the time to do it right.
    -Blitzen

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

Blitzen,

Thank you kindly and welcome to the H.A.M.B! Like they say, "they are never done". I had quite a few things that needed love on this car, so I wanted to make them right before speed week.

So what are you working on for a speedster? always love to see new pre-war speed stuff..

6. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

The Speedster is a model T, more of a part list than a car right now. I have been lucky enough to dive into my dads stockpile of old parts hes been saving over the years for the project.
    -Model T frame lowered quite a bit
    -Warford tranny
    -Ruckstell Rear end
    -5 main barring block
    -As of now either a SR Fronty or Rajo head (Can't decide yet)
    - Buffalo Wheels
    -Rocky Mountain Breaks
    and a few other things as seen in the photos.
    http://blitzen142.imgur.com/all

Here are some images I snapped while working in the shop. I hope to be donne by the time summer ends as I am a full time student and dont have much time to work otherwise. (The engine that sits in the car now is just temporary, waiting for the pistons.)

-Blitzen

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is quite a laundry list of killer period speed goodies! :eek: With a chassis like that..you have to do something different, unique and classy for a body. Is the SR Fronty you have a OHC or just an OHV? What about the RAJO....4 or 8 valve?

....would love a DOHC Fronty or Roof "16" type C for mine.. :D but alas, those are a bit out of my pocket book range :rolleyes:

What size Buffalo's? Would love a set of 19" to 21" knock offs for mine too...but same as above.

Doesn't seem like your pictures worked....link says I'm not allowed :( Got any you can post or embed here?

8. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

9. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Nice project Blitzen!!! Is Dad helping or dose he even know where those parts went he had stored away?

Ron

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yeah, works fine for me now too...not sure why it didn't before.

Killer looking chassis Blitzen! :D Nicely built and a really nice start on the body!

11. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

@Youngster) My dad is really knowledgeable about prewar race cars but Model T speedsters is a new realm for him, he knew he had some High Comp head but wasn't sure what they were, the chassis was also laying around for a while. He has been helping quite a bit with thoughts on design and implementation and its been great to have his collected knowledge guiding the project.

@MrModelT) Thanks for the words of encouragement. The SR is an OHV and I need to check on the Rajo but I am nearly positive its a 4 Valve. The Buffalo's are 21 inch, just got them spoked and they are looking beautiful. Im a big fan of your styling and I got to say you have made me consider going for a roadster look many times over the past few weeks.

-Blitzen

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very cool! The SR Fronty 8-valve heads (I think those a re the dual plug heads) were the hottest of the Fronty OHVs....but I have heard that those 4-valve RAJO's can be REALLY nasty if they are set up right on a built motor.

Those 21" inch wires are gonna look HOT on that car for sure.

...it would look REALLY good with a roadster body on it :rolleyes: :D

13. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Blitzen ... you need to start a build thread so I can make use of it on my up coming T project ... please!!

Ron

14. Kume

Kume

I agree - best not hijack Clayton's thread Blitzen! :eek: as your pics have opened up a raft of questions. When you start a new thread make sure that you include lots of close up photos and detailed information that we can all copy :D. I particularly like the tidy front spring mount. Very nice project .

Kume

15. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

@Kume well said. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712871 all further discussion of my build can be found here. Apologies to Clayton for getting a bit off track! Clayton's build was the one that finally encourage me to get the ball rolling and its nice to see the progress continues.
    Mr.ModelT that is a good looking battery holder, Id always rather be over built than under built.
    -Blitzen
    -Blitzen142

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

No worries Blitzen, your not hijacking and I don't mind at all. I love hearing about other early T projects....just glad you made a build thread so that I have a new thread to follow intently :D

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    We have a floor!...

made some good progress today by getting the new turtle deck floors built. I removed the turtle deck and welded up some new steel floors....that are actually FULL floors so that I can load up for the trip....and not loose anything on the road :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

19. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton,
    Great job on the deck floors. Good thinking too on just removing the turtle deck to do them full. You just gave me a good idea for mine!! What gauge of steel is that? Also, do you have a plasma cutter or did you just torch and grind? Love it and talk about solid.

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Bugsy!

That is how the original turtle deck floors were done. The floors were laid down first on top of the sub-frame, then the turtle was installed with a radiator shell lacing style belting as an anti-rattle gasket.

I used 18-gage steel myself, but you could go thicker....18 gage just seemed stout enough for this. I did add a crossmember in the rear section and a nice big block of wood straddling the frame rails (4 x 6 or 4 x 8) under the forward beneath the gas tank.

I can stand on it and it does not flex ;)

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Good job on the floor for the turtle deck. Very simple and clean. Will the floor in the cab be wood or metal ? Looking forward to your next update. :eek:

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hi Dave! :) Thanks for that on the floor pan. That was the whole Idea...simple and clean.

I am intending to keep the floorboards up front in wood, but the toe boards will be steel with a rubber mat over the whole mess. :D

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Sounds good to me. Will be very clean looking. Going to be one really neat roadster. Lots of very nice modifications. I should not only run better but performance should also be better. Have fun once it is running !

Dave :eek:

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    The roadster gets a new pair of shoes...

Yesterday was a hot here...and a bit more humid then usual which, all in all, made for really uncomfortable day......but I still managed to get the new Firestone's mounted on the new wire wheels. I just piddled around on little stuff (because it was too damn hot) until the late afternoon when the temperature dropped enough when I got the turtle deck and the gas tank bolted down.

After that I pushed her out of the shop...and went a little crazy takin' pictures :rolleyes: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

25. blitzen142

blitzen142
    from California

Great photos, your car gets me every time. What are you using for steering?
    -Blitzen

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Blitzen! The steering setup I have in the roadster is from a 1921 or '22 Willys-Knight. I wanted something with the look of a bigger car and a little stouter then a stock T steering column.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  27. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

Awesome!!

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with how the proportions came out this time around... :D

29. That rear 3/4 quarter photo is awesome, looks like you nailed the stance......

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

Agreed, that 2 - 3/4" lift I gave her in the rear really helped ....it was exactly what it needed.