Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 iH kb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mosh706, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mosh706

mosh706
    from nj

im looking to do a frame swap I c alot of people use s10 frames but they had small motors so i was thinking of using a crown vic but i think the frame is gonna be to wide has anyone ever done this and can i get the cab to mount up

2. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Have you considered a mustang 2 front suspension swap with an 8.8 explorer rear? There is a lot more work involved in the full frame swap. What is the truck going to be used for? What motor trans ?

3. mosh706

mosh706
    from nj

i dont have a motor or trans im still in search mode and i know a full swap is alot of work but i am on a budget thats y i thought crown vic you can get them with a simple 5.0 fuel injected good trans rear brakes the whole nine for really cheap and im only using it to mess around town go to shows not a daily driver but get used

4. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Well the biggest thing is measuring. Wheel base, body dimensions, on both vehicles. I would bust out the tape and you will be able to see if your close or not. Most guys here rather see you upgrade your original frame, but there are some frame swappers too. I would search all the IH posts and connects with those guys and pick their brain. Oh yeah s10 frames and efi are considered bad words on the hamb, lol. Good luck with it. Any pics of the truck?

5. mosh706

mosh706
    from nj

i figured the efi is a bad word here lol im younger then most guys in this hobbie so i gotta bring over some new school im a big fan of not doing a swap but i wanna get something that will ride nice and handle well

6. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I'm sorry to burst the new school bubble, but that's not what this site is about

7. mosh706

mosh706
    from nj

oh im sorry i thought this site was about hot rods vintage cars and trucks so i guess if wanna build a custom 47 iH with efi i cant ask a question here sorry jo

8. The stock International frame is a very sturdy straight ladder-type frame. You can hang any drivetrain you want on it. In normal driving on normal roads, an old beam axle front end handles pretty decent if springs, shackles, king pins/bushings, etc. are in good condition.

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Kinda off topic but do you want to sell the steering gear out that Binder?

10. mosh706

mosh706
    from nj

no im not gonna sell anything sorry

11. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Guys built ot projects all the time on here, I would use this forum for all the questions or info regarding the original vehicle . Upgrading the driveline and chassis is always a good thing no matter which way you go with it. You just would get a good response on the modern stuff.

12. jazz1

jazz1

Check on oldihc site,,one of the posters used the crown vic front and rear on his K model, and there are pics,,relatively painless,,myself I used Mustang 11 kit up front

13. silversink

silversink

Go to my albums to see what I did with a 350/350 combo. I used what I had to do the swap, 1977 GMC and a 9" ford rear axle. It took me 4 months to do it all, and another month to work out the glitches.
    I used the stock frame, steering, front axle, shocks. The truck is scary fast, drives great, and is fun to drive. I use it as a truck. The interior is all stock with under dash gauges until I get the dash gauges working right. I had a gas tank built for the truck as the stock one was rusty and the outlet was too small to flow the amount of fuel that was needed. I put the Batt. in the bed as there was no room any where else for it.
    Any questions give me a PM and I will try to answer and questions you may have.

14. Dang, I gotta get around to building my 47 KB1 one of these days

15. Minor Problem

Minor Problem

Here's a pic of the 46 I had.I used stock frame,MII frontend and Chevy rearend.I think I used an inside the frame motor mount for a 350 and the MII frontend fit the original frame like a glove with a little trimming.

Attached Files: