Register now to get rid of these ads!

Evans Flathead 4 Deuce intake, How Rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sledge, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I've got a NOS Evans 4 Pot intake and cant seem to find any other pictures (old or new) of one. I know it's at least somewhat rare but just wondering what the deal is with them? All pictures Im finding are of 3 deuce Evans. Anyone else running one?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Bttt.. It's kind of late to be asking for answers, well at least it is over in this part of the country, but I'm really curious as to what knowledge there is on the HAMB over this particular intake. Pretty cool.

3. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

That's a really interesting Intake! I'm guessing the big base design is an attempt to increase the temperature of the fuel mixture, or at least maintain it....????

Keen to hear if anyone has any info... Hopefully Jimmy B will chime in...

HC.

4. Not very rare at all, you need to sell it to me.

5. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

back up for the morning crowd.

6. Only pic I have saved is of Earl fitting one to an engine
    [​IMG]

Quite rare I have only seen one other on a HAMB thread but the image is no longer up. $$$ amount, hard to say.

Haha, you give me too much credit, when it comes to flatheads I know bupkis.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's a beautiful intake for sure. Can't say I've seen that one before. If it were mine I don't think it could be had for less then $650.

8. Quick note there is one on ebay now with 4x97 carbs.

9. Hen's teeth rare !!!

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I can remember the Evans name on speed equipment back in the day, but I only saw in the magazines on cars pictured there. Never saw one in person.
    I'm curious though, because of that large, bulbous base. Does it have the setup like Edelbrock and others with a port going from block port to carb pad and small balance tubes connecting all the ports, or do all the carb throats empty into a large open chamber like the 360* manifolds such as Offenhauser's manifolds?
    Dave

11. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I haven't run mine yet but it's going on a motor hopefully this fall, it looks like my fuel pump stand is different, maybe mine was milled down? I have only ever seen a handful of them, there is the one on ebay now, I have one , you have one and Ive seen one other so I would say they are definitley not a common item.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Looking closer it seems like maybe there was two models since yours only has a provision for only a breather, on the older picture in the post that one looks to have the bolt holes for a fuel pump stand as well.

13. Butch11443

Butch11443

I'd put this over in the Ford Barn. It is quite rare and the guys there would have a good idea what it's worth. I would say $650 is very conservative.

Butch

14. 31whitey

31whitey

Straight race shit.

Paired up with a Magneto, ran floored.

That would be dumping fuel.

Look at that flatthead in the pic...all done up.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Any 4 pot flattie stuff is oddball rare shit, but i know ive seen a couple evans 4 pots, probably on old evans adds in early hot rod mags. Basicly look at it this way, 4 stromberg 97's = 640ish cfm, even a HOT 300" flattie can barely use that much air due to a low VE

16. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Awesome, thanks for all the info! Yeah looks like they made a couple different styles.

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Wow!
    That is a beautiful thing! ……. I’m wondering how it’s configured / could it be run progressive 2 and 2 ?

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I assume it's open plenum, no? Hard to tell for sure from the pics.

If open, I'd say it'd be tough to run on the street. I think the IR-type are a bit easier to get running on the street, but that's anecdotal evidence and I've got no first-hand experience (yet).

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

All I know is Earl made stuff that makes power. Four carbs on a Flatty needs big cam and bore and prolly a stroke, too.
    Cool piece for sure!

20. cs39ford

cs39ford

Cool intake, All the speed equip. guys made them I would say about 650.00 They run real good at speed, I got a weiand on my, Runs pretty good but realy gets it after about 80mph

Attached Files:

• 39-2.jpg
      39-2.jpg
      File size:
      92.5 KB
      Views: