Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fruits & Nuts on the Bay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Really frustrating to try and buy a car (32 Ford 5 window) on the Bay, Meet the guys price, work with him for a week and then the car just disappears and he blows off your phone calls????????????????????????????

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

PEOPLE
    They're everywhere
    unfortunately

3. Can buy one of ours all day, just pay me and try and come get it in less time than it takes to grow a full beard.

4. Most people, but not all, SUCK!

5. F&J

F&J

Was it a deal "outside" of the auction? Those are scary, and iffy.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Inside deal thru the Bay

7. F&J

F&J

Wow. When it comes to money with some sellers, it can get disgusting. I stay off there now, never got burned, but saw it changing about 3 years ago. What I can't see, I don't need to lust for;)

8. 31whitey

31whitey

Sounds like one of those "theme" parties...

I went to a party like that once...it ended kinda like your auction, with some questionable actions.

I stay away from them places.

9. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Most high profile cars end up being flaky auctions on E-bay. If you don't have an inside line with the seller, you can pretty much hang it up. People fake bids to find out reserve prices, sellers terminate auctions prematurely for various reasons, and E-bay does little to police this stuff. It's frustrating to bid on something, and find out the auction has suddenly been ended by the seller (probably due to some offline deal).

10. Fenders

Fenders

So you can leave him negative feedback?

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Have you contacted Ebay ? I realize they aren't always helpful but I have seen a few cases where they got involved and got a resolution or a refund for someone. If this was a legitimate, through Ebay sale, and you agreed to buy it and he agreed to sell it, then it seems fairly cut and dry to me.

Don

12. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

You may be better off....
    Those kind of folks sell some REALLY shitty cars.

13. Burn him on the feedback if you are 100% sure you've done nothing to sour the deal and there is no way he can come back on you.

I'll buy small stuff on ebay but the way it's all set up now there is no way I'd trust the system to buy something as big as a car.

14. Many times the car is on here in the classifieds, on CL and evilBay all at the same time. Which gives the seller a broader buyer-base and many go with the first one that produces a ka-ching for him. And of course anything to try to beat an auction fee always flies first.

Bob

15. Some guys are on eBay for a 1-shot deal or sell a small number of them and could care less about feedback. I would buy a car if I could see it in person, no other way.

I've had probably close to 700 eBay transactions going both ways, selling and buying. Mostly model cars, car parts and machine tool supplies. Never been burned on a deal either, although I had some marginal ones I was just happy to see completed.

Bob

16. mj40's

mj40's

17. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I buy off of Ebay sometime. If it don't go easy and if seller does not use paypal walk away. You have to carefull

18. JF

JF
    from Utah

19. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Yep thats how i do it. Make it perfectly clear in the Ebay advert and only deal with phone calls, no email. It puts off the Idiots and if someone really wants my car/parts they'll call, come and see it and buy it. Not breaking any rules and being up front from the start and Ebay get their insertion fee.
    I had calls with folks moaning that the auction finished earlier. Tough shit. As its advertised somewhere else they could have easily bought it at anytime but they're chancing a cheap deal on the Ebay auction.
    For me its the easiest way of using Ebay and seriously cuts down on dreamers and tire kickers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.