Register now to get rid of these ads!

Craftsman tools lifetime warranty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbtine, Jun 27, 2012.

1. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Im 20 years old and dont turn wrenches for a living but somehow I manage to break tools all the time, Craftsman, snap on, mac, HF and others... gettin them replaced has never been the issue though. I have some tools that my great granpaw had in wooden tool boxes and I use them a lot!! Them old wrenches are 3 times heavier than any new wrench! I also got some old tape measures that my great granpaw had and they are more accurate than any new tape measure today! The best tools you can buy are at the flea market in the antique area. I got a good assortment of "Vintage" tools and never have broke a single one!

2. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

"This" Very True Words!!! It's so easy to understand. Don't spend your money on Chinese junk, by not supporting them, we put people back to work, here, in America.:)

My Grandfather sold Snap-On tools in the late 40's he would be very disappointed if he knew they were selling out loyal customers by selling them expensive priced tools made cheaply in China.
    I am a A&P aircraft mech and spend plenty on tools, Snap-On stuff lately has been breaking, guess where it is made? Google it! I quit buying from them, once I found out.:mad:

I scour swapmeets and fleamarkets now, and buy original American made tools whenever possible.

3. I feel your pain JB. As an associate in a Sears Hometown Store we can only give the customer what Sears provides us whether it's the latest rebuild kit or replacement ratchet. Don't bitch the counter guy or gal out, they are just as fustrated as you the customer.
    I've heard worse tails about the other blue and orange tool exchanges. Some Craftsman tools are made her and other tool items over there.

Jim

4. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Me too

5. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

so how much longer till Sears is bellyup? The local sears is always dead. Handful of customers in the store on a Saturday afternoon. I think shifting the manufacturing to china is just a last-ditch effort to try and keep the brand going. I too scour swap meets and estate sales for old tool to add to the toolbox. All american made and usually can get good prices

6. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

when someone starts to warranty the tools i lose i'll be happy. I seem to "misplace" more than break them.

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

How about a thread about all the tools that Sears has replaced for free for people. I know that I have saved lots of money getting tools replaced over the years. There are too many threads bitching about this, that and the other.

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

A lot of good tools <gotta look 'em over> can be found at swap meets, and salvage sales. I found a lot of Snap On items there, as well as Bonney, Proto <the older ones were best> And, the Snap On guy will honor the warranty.

4TTRUK

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Sears will replace tools,...But, the guy working in a shop has to take his time to go there,...Whereas, the "tool truck guy" arrives at his front door weekly. Especially nice, if the Sears store is a long distance from where you work / live. 4TTRUK

10. dann

dann
    from Dayton, OH

The only real problem I have had with Craftsman is the bottom tier ratchets and nut drivers. Do you see many of the mid to high level tier ratchets returned? I also seem to really like the new "universal" wrench/ratchet/socket set they are advertising, looks like a great idea. Any thoughts on that?

I have never had any problems with any of their wrenches. I have some really good hammers from there also. I received a huge set of "Industrial" screwdrivers from Craftsman as a wedding gift 20+ years ago and those things are pretty much bomb proof. I have used them as pry bars, chisels and everything else and they hold up.

I was stationed down your way 22 years ago. Even bought a washer/dryer at the store you probably work at, if the sears is at the same location now.

11. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I bought a set of Craftsman tools as a high school grad in the summer of 1965. I'm still using the box and box/open wrenches, as well as the ½" and &#8540;" shallow 12 point and 8 point sockets that came with the set. The dainty little half/nine sixteenths open is my all time favorite wrench. They are indestructible. I broke the ½" breaker bar with a pipe, and it was replaced no questions asked in the '70's. Other than my worn out ratchets (I'll never let these go after 45 years), I haven't needed the warranty. I'd quit shopping at sears in the '90's when they wouldn't sell me an armature for a buffer - after a half hour drive across town, the guy at the Sears parts warehouse told me I wasn't competent to install it. I was so pissed (it was Friday afternoon and I needed that thing) that I went to Sears, bought an identical buffer, swapped armatures in the parking lot, and returned the new one. I'll keep my old Craftsman tools regardless, so who cares. Our local Sears withered and died last year.

12. Last time I asked about a lifetime warranty, they asked me how much longer I planned to live.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my 1970 craftsman ratchet/socket set gets used nearly every day. during my 30 years in construction, i met lots of guys who fished broken craftsman tools out of dumpsters and got new ones for them. i've also bought a lot of kenmore stuff. kenmore was a good buy when whirlpool made it but i don't think it's a very good brand anymore. i used to love k-mart, too, but i think it's gone downhill. what a turnoff to walk into a store and smell popcorn and hot dogs! sadly, that's what happens when a W*****t comes to town.

14. carmuts

carmuts

Try to get a replacement lock for your 1960's vintage craftsman tool box. Even the ones they sell will not fit it and they don't stock any of the old style locks. Rod

15. cavemag

cavemag

The professional quality craftsman tools are still made here.

16. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've got a set of craftsmen wrenches and screw drivers my dad got from his father and they seem invincible. I also have new craftsmen tools and I have to say, of the handful of those I broke I never even got a funny look when going to the store to replace them. Even if lifetime is still only as long as that particular products model is made, multiple tools for the price of one is a good deal.

17. biscaynes

biscaynes

yep!

18. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I don't have to chase down a Sears truck to get raped in. That made me laugh! Great line! and so true.

I have heard craftsman tools will survive even if sears does close so I am staying with them.

I don't make my living with my tools but they have served me well for almost 15 years. I can't think of any other possession I have, other than firearms that I can say that about!

19. BEAR

BEAR

you are right no I work for sears and do the tool warranty ...

now for the guy who posted this you are out of your mind they stopped making your tool 9+ years ago and they did there job by offering you a new tool and not some POS tool out of the new warranty box ...when people act like you in the store and out of the store you make people like me and others not want to help YOUR ASS .. its not the people that work there that make the rules ...

20. BEAR

BEAR

Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by 49ratfink [​IMG]
    welcome to the new world. no quality, no longevity , no returns , no customer service.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    yep!
    _____

no customer service ? b/c people treat people like shit in stores and act like they god damn know everything ..

21. BEAR

BEAR

Originally Posted by hotroddon [​IMG]
    The real problem is the American Consumer who would rather save a buck and Buy Chinese crap. If no one bought it, then it wouldn't get made over there - plain and simple. We can control this with our most powerful vote - our wallets!
    Don't buy junk from China and there won't be any Chinese Junk to buy.

RIGHT ON

22. Lifetime warrenty. The tool died, its life is over, thus the end of the warrenty :D

23. 2935ford

2935ford

Not to worry folks....rumor has it Sears is soon to be no longer.

Try returning your lifetime warranty then!

24. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Broke a socket extension a few months ago, totally my fault, they honored it without any problems.

25. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Damn Right!

26. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona

If Sears goes away, the Craftsman tool line will be picked up by another company. I'd bet on it.

27. But is it traditional to bitch about things not being made in the US anymore.

28. jbtine

jbtine

I sure wanted to find a good replacement for my 3/8" ratchet. It had the round head with the fine ratcheting mechanism. I went to Sears at a mall near the navy base in Ft Worth. They didn't have. A comparable replacement other a cheaper one. All i got was a shrug and a dumb look. That changed yesterday when i went to a Sears in southwest Ft Worth. They didn't have a new replacement but told me to come to the register. Under it was a red Sears tool box full of all sorts of older ratchets. They had a rebuilt ratchet they would trade out exactly like mine. I was surprised and happy. It just goes to show you that not all Sears are the same. This one had some very knowledgeable and helpful people who wanted to make a customer happy. That's where i will go from now on.

29. 55chevr

55chevr

Sears was once the epitemy of good service. That has deteriorated into less than good service. Not sure when they lost their edge but it has been coming for years. I had a similar problem with a dead "Die Hard" battery that I bought. Had it 10 months and it did "Died Easy". Local Sears gave me a hard time over not having sales slip. I had it in the glove box of the car that the battery came from. I went home, got it and brought it back for a replacement battery. What difference does it make about the sales receipt. The only company selling Die Easy batteries is Sears. Never will buy from them again.

30. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I would guess that it would be to prove that you actually originally bought the battery instead of someone who maybe swiped one just lugging in a dead battery and getting a new one to sell for 20 bucks towards a dope buy.