Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "No Buck$ 49"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod 49, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Awesome....

Grommet

2. pottsie454

pottsie454

Sweet man! I love the stance of your truck. Im glad you out enjoying it!

3. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Off subject of the truck, but I had to share this! I showed in an earlier post that I had been working at Carsland in Disneyland, but I didn't share everything. I've known Chip since '93 and was honored when I got the call to help with the project! On my first day to stripe, I showed up with my old trusty and a bit beat up paint box that I'd owned for close to 30 yrs. [​IMG] I was kind of embarrassed being I knew the other 2 stripers (Dennis and Jeff) would show up with way newer setups and here I was with old faithful! I wasn't there an hour and the comments started, but quite the opposite from what I expected. The Imagineering people were going nuts and EVERYONE was taking pictures of the dumb thing! When John Lassiter (who directed Cars, Toy Story and others) told me he had to have it in the Racers ride, I knew it was over. I knew they wanted to buy it, but the biggest thing was now it's in the coolest museum ever!! I made some Ramone paint cans and added my crown (King, baby!) for Ramones name to go over and they grabbed a bunch of leftover paint cups from the store stuff to finish off the display. [​IMG] When you come out of the paint booth (I did a bunch of striping in there) it's sitting on the floor just to the right of the car ride. Pretty much made my year! So now I just say my OTHER paint box is at Disneyland!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Tman and volvobrynk like this.
  4. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Driving the truck has been a blast! One of the funnest things I've ever done!!!

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's pretty freakin' cool Brad!!!!

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Damn Brad, you didn't even tell me of your adventure to WA. Looks like a great time. I envy you doing that in your pickup....that's what I'm shooting for with mine (although probably not up to Washington).

Truck looks great.

7. Alamedasam

Alamedasam

I think thats really cool for you to be honered & recognized for your work. Congratulations. BTW- I love your box, it really has the feeling of striping.:)

8. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

New addition to the truck! I know this goes against the whole "low buck" thing but I couldn't turn them down! My friend Roger builds custom shocks (did Aldans for close to 20 yrs.) and makes them for So Cal, Pete &Jakes, etc. at his company ROMIC SHOCKS and commented he needed to make some for the truck. I told him I wasn't going to go that crazy on that part if the truck and he proceeded to tell me to shut up, he was making a set! How can you argue with that? I got the front ones on a couple days ago [​IMG] and WOW! I had no idea they could make that much of a difference! Simply amazing! He designed them for the weight and what I told him I wanted and was a little blown away! I'll get the back ones in another week and was told it gets even better! Thanks again Roger! Check out his site and give him a call http://www.romicmfg.com/

enloe likes this.
  9. daddio211

daddio211

Free is still low-buck! :D

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, good shocks are as close to a magic bullet for handling as you can get! I am enamored with Bilsteins, but anything nice is great when it's free!!! Been workin' on the Plym hard over at Elpolako's the last coupla weeks - should drop the engine tomorrow.

11. romic tech

romic tech
    from hesperia

Really??? Do you want to re think this???LOL Great build...been reading this whole thing....

12. Awesome! I'm gonna be needing shocks soon, and I'll definitely check them out!

13. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I just sat here and read this whole thread. Man what a killer build and totally worth time. Dude you're my new hero!

14. 57210

Great read!! Gave me some great ideas for the 48 Thriftmaster I'm putting together.
    Thanks for sharing with us

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I don't want to say "I told you so " , but , I told you so . Good to hear that you're putting some miles on it .

16. not the greatest picture, but he's out driving it. Great job on the truck.
    uploadfromtaptalk1350778146711.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  17. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  18. pottsie454

pottsie454

Love it man. My dad and I made the hot rod reunion in bowling green Kentucky. Most fun I've had in a long time! Thanks for the video link.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Here's some other stuff to check out! I was able to do the push truck thing at the 2012 Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield and man, what a blast! I had to come up with a push bar idea to do it and after explaining my plan to my friend "Hot Rod Bob", he got busy fabricating while I was striping and lettering his truck! Sometimes trading is a great thing! So here's what we did... I picked up some pieces from my local trailer place. Grabbed a couple small receiver pieces, 2 pins and a 6' chunk of 2'x1/4" square tubing. My idea was to build something that could be hidden under the front valance/tray when it wasn't being used. Here's how it looks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] When I'm done, I pull the pins and bolt the valance back on and there's nothing to give away what's underneath! Here we are in the staging lanes [​IMG] and going down the track! [​IMG] Alex and I had a freakin' awesome day!

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awsome man! I sure wish I could have made it to HRR this year. Looks like you guys had a hell of a time. I'm starting to feel like other than LARS, I'm stuck in Phoenix permanently... 'Course if I hadn't spent money on the Plym like a drunken sailor in Sept...

21. usmile4

usmile4

That looks great going down the track. You should fix your valence so it goes right into those same receivers, then you would just have to pull the pins, remove the valence, drop in your push bar and be good to go.

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Yes to this, but the valance has much tighter fit requirements than a tow bar. Not sure how it would work without rattling or rubbing.

23. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Thanks guys! Was a lot of fun there! I didnt make the valance a pin in thing for 2 reasons... it would have rattled and I would have had to use rivets or bolts to hold the brackets to the sheet metal. I didn't want it to look like anything had been done and being it only takes like 15 minutes to change out, it's not a big deal.

24. n847

n847

Thats awesome...i want to build a push bar for my coupe to push people at the Ohio mile!

25. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

Sweet truck with many bad ass ideas! Just went thru entire post from front to back.

Never liked them foot pedals till I saw yours!!

26. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

Sweet truck with many bad ass ideas! Just went thru entire post from front to back.

Never liked them foot pedals till I saw yours!!

27. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

This is from the last race of the year at El Mirage. [​IMG] I do drive this thing everywhere!!

enloe and volvobrynk like this.
  28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just flat awsome man...

29. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

HotRod49, Saw your ride at the GNRS and was impressed how low buck mod's could create such a nice ride. Unfortunatly you were not around when I saw your ride early Sat. morn but I really enjoyed seeing it in person as opposed to pics on the web. You have built an affordable, reasonably priced ride that anyone can obtain or duplicate. Thank you for insight and enlightenmaent!

30. Love this truck!!!