Register now to get rid of these ads!

Linseed oil over patina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rivrat, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It would cry, "Paint me!"

2. bahahaha!!

3. Bang a dude:eek:?

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

BINGO!..IM KINDA TIRED OF ALL THE FLATBLACK REDWHEEL CARS.and the rust also.but when people put up pics of a car that needs paint on a site where its not much appreciated what the hell do they expect.i got a different view on what a surviver is. if a car is still here its a surviver. it didnt take the trip to the crusher.so its a surviver.but just because its made it this far doesnt mean it should still look like shit.and since it did make it seems like it should be wearing its sunday best.shiney paint!!just like when the old girl was new.we all know its your ride and its yours to do as you please. but when you put it up here for all to see you are going to get comments you dont like. just because people say things you dont like mean they are wrong. just as you say things dont make you right.everyone has thier own opinion. just as you do. dont make anyone right or wrong, just different.if you go on a pet sight just for dogs and you put up a pic of your cat what is gonna happen?same here.hell im a suviver. i had a really bad bike wreck. im all crippled up scared up and have brain damage.dont mean i want people to see my scares or watch me drag my left leg because i cant walk right. i want my scares hid and my leg to work right.i still want to look new.lol i have a friend who is a suviver from cancer.he lost all his hair.he didnt want to look that way, hell he bought a good wig.if you dont want opinions on your ride dont put it up here.very simple really.after all this is a traditional site. and rust isnt traditional.well after all this i will say i like your truck. would have liked it alot more without the oil that i use on my furniture. and even more with shiney paint, but that just me being traditional.all in all its a cool old truck and id still be proud to drive it to the store.

5. IMHO,I think the word patina has been overused for way too long,,Rusty metal or surface ain't patina.

I really don't consider my ol' sedan to be a perfect example of patina,,put it does show age without being faked. HRP

[​IMG]

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

FAST N LOUD cleared thiers not linseed oil . GOT ME ON THIS ONE , LOOKS GOOD THOUGH .
    B.B.

7. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I like to use WD40 on my oxidized outer panels of my 38 Buick.

It prevents the continued formation of oxides on the surface and is not shiney like that substance the auto manufactures spray on all the new cars.

I ran low on WD40 last time so I mixed it with transmition oil. Wrong! came out like those shiney new fangled cars.

Ps,
    I had to weld in a few new panels on my car, so I washed them with stright bleach to blend in the surface color and texture.
    Works like a charm, in 2 weeks, you could never spot the new metal.

8. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Thanks BB. I wish mine had more paint on it like that olds 88 did on Fast n Loud. I've met the bearded guy (Aaron Kaufmann)on the show. He has/had a nameless shop here in Dallas in Deep Ellum. Great builder he can do some awesome work. He can build some sick bikes too.

9. A friend said he used lemon pledge on bare metal before.

I seen a guy with a 51 Chevy truck at a store and it looked as if he waxed his "patinaed" truck. Looked horrible, but I did not have to drive it.

10. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

my name has nothing to do with the truck, not saying thats what you were implying. I grew up on the Tennessee River, so im kind of a river rat. It has been my screen name for about 18 years.

11. HouldenCaulfield

HouldenCaulfield
    from Tulsa, OK

Your truck is badass man! I love the darker look. I agree with the others, just a bit of time, driving and washing and it will tone down nicely.

12. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Yes indeed, to each his own. I'm from "back in the day" and believe me, there were plenty of cars with "patina." Not all were nice and shiney. It's whatever you like. No rules.
    Tom

13. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Thanks. I always like the way it looked when it was wet when I washed it. I felt it this morning and it did feel less gummy and glossy. I don't think the high humidity and heat is helping the drying process.

14. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

No comment on rust vs paint, but....

I've built some wood boats, and I finish the inside wood with a mixture of linseed oil, odorless paint thinner and japan dryer. all cheap at the hardware store, dies nice and dull, eventually hardens a bit. It's called "boat soup".

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I know you didn't ask for opinions but I love your truck just the way it is. A long lost former owner did a quick M@@CO job on mine and it's chippy as hell, maybe done in the 80's when they hadn't figured out the primer?paint adherence. NO WAY I can afford 8-10 large on a dd only vehicle these last 15 years. I'm putting my money into a '54 261 bored out to 280, GMC rods, Arias pistons, etc.

Happy trails,

Cosmo

16. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

I love the truck, with or without the oil. DON'T paint it, it will look like all the rest of them. Paint is highly over rated. Some guys just can't stand it if it aint painted. Oh well, they'll just have to suck it up. The idea is to enjoy the car, with or without paint. What other people think don't mean ----! As far as traditional, I'm 65 and rust existed as long as I can remember. True, most rods were painted, but not all, so in my mind the traditional arguement is mute. Also, way back then the cars weren't that old relatively, so not as much rust was eating them up yet, compared to a car today that wes rescued from the crusher and has sat around for 50 years or so, probably outside.

17. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I'm not gonna be critical of your truck or the path you've chosen to make it what you like... It's your business and as long as you're happy then who cares what anyone else thinks.

I've owned 7 of these trucks over the last 40 years and number 7 is my only transportation right now....
    The first time I managed to take a car or truck down to a bare frame and put it back together and actually have something that looked more or less like what it was supposed to look like :))) was a '53. I built it under a carport on gravel. That one came out pretty decent but a couple of the trucks that I owned ended up being pretty crappy as a result of my poor planning and/or decisions, so it goes both ways...some are good, sme are bad.
    Only time will tell on yours.... In 10 years you might look back and think "WTF was I thinking", or you might think "Wow, I still wish I had that beauty".

So, what I don't get is why you seem surprised at the comments that are negative. Especially here.....

I alway get a kick out hearing comments like these.....

"Rusty cars/trucks are traditional".... HaHaHaHaHa. That's funny.

"Anybody can paint".....HaHaHaHaHa. that's funny.

"Linseed oil stops the rust from progressing".... .HaHaHaHaHa. that's funny.

18. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

First off,this is JMO," patina" is rust,rust leads to rot out. I see nothing good about rust. Most people will recognize it is old and made of steel.It would seem the owner doesn't care or give a s*#t about what will become of this car. Great way to preserve history. JMO

19. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I'm not surprised by the comments I'm getting. I've been on here for a little while and I've posted pix my truck a few times. I'm use to these comments. It's the same old, same old sh*t. As if they just copy and past from my other threads. I know only about 25% of the comments are even close to topic and that's all I'm looking for. The rest are guys who just like to express their narrow minded thoughts and like to hear their fingers on the keyboard. I enjoy reading all of the posts but I really appreciate the guys who are posting to help out.

mattybear likes this.
  20. Awesome! Time to plant some flax.

22. Who cares? It`ll sand off. If you like it , go for it. Just don`t ask for opinions.

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I like what you AND nature did to your truck...you could never reproduce that weathered look.
    It's interesting as opposed to pristine.
    Hopefully the oil will help keep her stable for a good long while.

24. It just keeps going back to "Some people don't get it" or opinions are like assholes.
    there is enough room for everyone to do their own thing, I'm sure everyone can agree on that. respect the right to enjoy driving an old beater that you don't have worry where you park, can be more fun than being within eye shot of your vehicle every time you take it out of the trailer. IMHO

25. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Personally I think it looks awesome. :cool:

It sure does! ...if you mispronounce one of the two words. :rolleyes: :p

Agreed. Tho technically the definition of 'Patina' refers to accumulated changes in surface texture and color produced by oxidation or other chemical processes that result from normal use of an object such as a coin or a piece of furniture over time.
    ...so rust is actually a form of patina but I agree that in the automotive scene the word is very over used.

I've done a WD-40 and low gloss Armorall combo on bare steel bicycle frames and it works very well. Eventually the frames develop a rich red-ish brown patina (not rust, an actual patina produced by oxidation and chemical process).

26. Gromit

Gromit

Doesn't matter.. I put my Plym in black primer and people still ask when I'm going to paint it. I've had shiney cars where the paint is weathered and people ask when I'm going to paint it.

The oil treatment is interesting. Personally I would have cleaned it and cleared it if I wanted to keep the look, but if it works for you, so be it. It will indeed be interesting to see how it holds up.

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I've heard of this technique but not for vehicles in your type of condition. Most people use it on 1920's cars that have original paint that is showing some rust through. They do it as a preservation. With that being said; if you ever chose to paint it; you're pretty much screwed by doing this. Our '50 plymouth came to us with original paint and it was starting to flake off in spots. We considered dumping oil on it and driving it as is but damn....we're so happy we stripped it and painted it.

28. I have never had a car or a bike peel, I have had some go dull because of the quality of the paint used but that was my own fault.

Now that you have oiled it it will have to go back to clean metal and be pickled to be painted by the way.

if you want to dull it try washing it, Tide is a pretty stout detergent and it should take some of the sheen away. linseed oil any type of lubricant that you use to try and fight the rust is only temporary and has to be repeated because it has a tendency to wash off with time.

I have an old farmer friend that uses used motor oil and kerosene on his old equipment. He did it once a year whether he needed to or not.

29. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Paint and body work is a huge waste of time and money. Just drive it and have fun.

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

Whoa...!!! Talk about "not getting it" ! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.