Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

2. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Stropolie's 66 at trenton where most of the previous photos were takenhttp://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1672855&d=1340457180

3. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Jim, The "unknown" is Jimmy Caruthers. Denny Z.

4. Surfref32

Surfref32

5. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Hey all, Thinking of selling my 1947 Real Kurtis Kraft midget Serial #154, Car is in the book Kurtis Kraft Genealogy of speed. I have 198 pages of calif. history from lap times to results, lots of old 8"x 10"s of the car some of the guys who drove were Johnny Parsons Jr. 1st full midget ride, Johnny Wood, Steve Stapp, Chuck Arnold, to name a few. You can look at pictures of the car on my album in my H.A.M.B. profile, ran it yesterday, sounds good!

6. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Bill Dorer's Bulldog offy # 4. 1968 Bobby Albert was the driver..

7. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

photo of strapoli 66 later

Attached Files:

8. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Before Stropoli put the chevy II in he ran a crossfire V8-60 with Don Morris as driver. He was almost impossible to beat at Old Bridge. The advantage of the iron blocks starting in front of the Offies in ARDC.

Denny, thanks. I never saw Jimmy drive so had no idea.

9. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Jim, As you know Jimmy was normally a USAC guy but while he was in the army (based at Ft. Dix) he ran with ARDC when ever he could get off base. Denny Z.

10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Post 3706 IDs...The guy with the hat is King Carpenter, the bald guy on the highest seat is Lenny Thrall, the very bottom seat all the way to the right is Dave Humphrey, if you know wich one is Dutch Schaffer the face just above and to the right of Dutch is Joe Csiki the guy sitting on the seat just belo and in front of King Carpenter is Len Duncan.
    Other familiar faces but darned if I can remember the names. Denny Z.

11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Actually Denny, the guy with the hat is Maurice Viette, to his right on that row is Johnny Mann and left is Russ Klar.

Bill Brown in the back right.

12. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Post# 3714

light purple car # 72 Bill "Wiggles" Johnston

Yes , George Schmall next to Bert Brooks

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Jim, I stand corrected.....I have an excuse...I'm just an old fart. Denny Z.

14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Who is the guy to the right of Johnny Mann in the black shirt? Denny Z.

15. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Denny he looks familiar, I believe he is a car owner. In the black jacket and pants, smoking, is Ed Darrel, and at the end of the row Len Duncan is on is Ray Brown. Roger Bailey is in front of Russ Klar.

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

O ya I should have recognized Bill Brown, I ran with him in URC. Thanks Jim. Denny Z.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  17. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Here is a photo of Maurice Viette`s Gertler car, the former velvet special.popular car on the island. Now in the barn. Driver is Jerry Karl.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  18. John Ryan

John Ryan
    from new jersey

19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Isn't that Jerry Karl in the Gertler car?

20. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Post# 3706 Most identified

Attached Files:

21. Ed Battle

Ed Battle
    from Lutz FL

Re the ARDC Eli Roth Memorial 1966 photo
    (from Mighty Midget Auto Racing History Vol. 3 by Crocky Wright Pg. 278 C 1980)
    "Top Row: Ed Marino, Johnny Mann, Maurice Viette, Russ Klarr, Len Thrall, Bill Brown, Jerry Wall.
    Center Row: Ken Heller, Len Duncan, George Schmall, Roger Bailey, Bryant Ingalls, Joe Csiki, Ray Brown
    Front Row: Ed Darrell,"Dutch" Schaefer, Ed Moran, Jack Duffy, Nick Strapoli, Bobby Albert, Dave Humphrey, Midge Miller"
    All will never to be forgotten in the Midget Racing Sport!
    Note: I would call top row left - Gus Mordenti - instead of Ed Marino - Who can forget the sight of Gus from Waterbury Ct. thundering down the highway in his little Hudson Wasp with his race car in tow. He always fielded a mean midget!

22. wynns #1

wynns #1

I believe that is Ed Marino,not Wally Mordenti. Wally is alive and well, in his 90s and restoring Hudsons.

23. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Ed Marino was a regular visitor to our shops for decades (dozens of times with one of his best buddies, Joe Sartori, an avid midget caing buff) and knew Dad for about 50 years (and me for over 20). Sometimes he visited the same time as Johnny Mann, who is in the photo, sitting next to him. I never met Mr Mordenti, but no question in my mind, it is Eddie.(For those who did not know, Eddie had lost one arm, a long time back...)

24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Ed Battle, was Midge Miller related to Carl?

25. Ed Battle

Ed Battle
    from Lutz FL

Re the ARDC Eli Roth Memorial 1966 photo (answering 3 Replies)
    Many thanks to Wynns#1 for correcting me. That surely is Ed Marino (who am I to doubt Crocky Wright?), and I'm pleased to hear that Walt (not Gus) Mordenti is still into Hudsons.
    And also thanks to Memaerobilia for confirming that the driver at upper left of photo is indeed Ed Marino. Also liked your last two decals of Freeport 1936 and the #8 Auto Racing the Action Sport.
    I had the #8 on my '34 ford window back in 1946 - Got it from Ed White at Danbury Fair Speedway.
    And while I'm pontificating, I'm still looking for ANY photo of Pete Canfield who was unfortunately the first eastern midget casualty of the then new sport back in September 1935...If I were still living in Connecticut, I'd be headed for the Bridgeport Public Library
    and their collection of Bridgeport Post/Telegram newspapers from 1935, and spend hours looking through the sports pages..Unfortunately,that's not an option...Any help or ideas are appreciated!
    To Jim Nise on the Midge Miller and Carl Miller relationship, I don't know, but I'll bet that Ken_Schou can tell you.
    I would guess that it was father and son, but as you see from the above correspondence, I have a poor record at that sort of thing.
    Fact is that I still remember Charlie Miller in the Gordon outboard at the Danbury Fair speedway in 1946. Who can forget the sound and the smell and the smoke from those 460 Eltos!!

26. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Midge Miller is Carl Miller Junior...

27. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Selling my Kurtis Kraft midget on ebay. Item #261056025650 check it out,

28. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Thanks Sprinter2

There is a resemblance!

29. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Things are slow on this forum. I was told that one of our faithful posters Ken Shou has passed away. I id not se anything in print about it but a friend of his told me the bad news.

30. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Terrible news, I just talked to him the other day. He did say he wasn't feeling very good. Denny Z.