Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Orion Music + More

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 2, 2012.

1. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

2. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

This could be a great show, but I agree with everyone else, leaving at 11pm Sunday is absolutely ridiculous as I live 3 hours from AC and WILL NOT spend another dime on lodging, so by the time we actually get out of there and the drive, I wont be home till at least 2-3am, and do I get up at 6 for work, I highly doubt it.. Its already costing me $550 to stay in AC for 2 nights. I talked my wife into following me down with her Escalade (now more money on gas) just so we have transportation when we're down there, also she has to leave by 3pm Sunday and take the 3 hour trip home by herself up the shitty parkway because she has to pick our kids up from her mother. This whole thing is slowly becoming a fuckin nightmare. Please someone explain to me why we cant leave till 11pm on sunday?? And I dont want to hear because of people walking around, thats bullshit. This car show couldnt happen without cars, and their making very hard for people to bring their cars. Theres still some time to work things out and I sure hope they do before more people drop out.

Joe, if it means anything, me, Bobby, Mikey and Jay will still be going with our cars.

Also, Six Pack, the only rain is an afternoon thunderstom on Friday, Saturday and Sunday supposed to be sunny and in the 80's.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Mike, I talked it over with my better half, she's stoked to see Metallica and she already cancelled going to her friend's bachelorette party, so I'm in too. I'm glad I'll at least have friends there at the show.

It just seems like there were not a lot of details until recently and now all the actual logistics are coming out days before the show. Not cool.

4. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Good, glad your coming, I also had to go through alot just to be able to make it, I hope they make it worth our while..

5. That was a funny story about James Hetfield.

6. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Well, emailed the contact person and he said that once the car is on the grounds it cannot move until the show is over on Sunday at 11PM.. Best of luck on the show but I have to bow out... -E

7. McPhail

McPhail

I fully understand that not being able to move the cars all weekend is very unusual for a carshow. It's hard for a working man to be able to afford taking time off work and afford the ridiculous prices for hotel rooms in this city...... But, everyone involved with this carshow is dedicated to making this as smooth a process as can be, and you bringing your cars to an event like this is truly appreciated. I will be at the show, and I will try to do whatever I can to make your time at Bader field a good one......see ya there....Dennis

8. RF

RF

Damn, Gary Clark, Jr., Modest Mouse, and Sepultura under the same roof?! Sounds like the array of cars at a Goodguys event.

Thanks for that brief trip down memory lane (actually Arbor Way) Ryan. You left out the part about the "pinball parlor" though!

9. barelylegalkustoms

barelylegalkustoms
    from delaware

My wife and I will be there with Emerson's 56 Chevy. Rick Dorr was nice enough to pick Emerson's car to be in the tent with James' cars. Thanks again!

10. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Is there anyone here who can explain why it needs to be 11pm? I mean, shit, 8 or 9 is late enough for a Sunday night. I committed to go, so I'm going, but would definitely like to be on the road home a little earlier. With all the guys pulling out of this, I hope its still a show worthy of the financial and personal commitment...we will see I suppose...

11. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I already bailed about two weeks ago, after being *selected* for participation.......and I only live 10 minutes away.......the rules are bullshit........screw it........I don't even like the music......

CB

12. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Chopmerc, what I can gather is that once your car is there it becomes part of the event and can not be moved until all the people there for the event (fans/pedestrians) have left... so, even if it is over by 11pm you will still have to wait until the fans left then im sure there will be shit load of traffic.. I too committed however, these details were never disclosed to us in the begining.. In short, it will be a long weekend on top of a 3 plus hour long ride home.. The promoters are clearly not familiar with how car shows operate.. Again, I wish the show the best of luck but Im out.. I will be in AC due to a non-refundable room I booked.... I wish I knew the details before...

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Anyone take photos there yet?

14. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I was there yesterday without my 34 and it was a really cool event! I do think that if guys could have drove in and out they would have had a lot more cars.. Also, all of the cars should have been roped off.. saw some people touching cars and sittin on them to take pics.. I didnt bring my camera so no pics however, Metallica kicked ass!!! I had to head home but to those there or going, enjoy tonight! James said on stage that this was the first annual Orion fest so I hope they worked the bugs out this year.. This could be a really cool car event every year...

15. thesupersized

thesupersized

i was there yesterday too, I saw some random kid open the door and get inside that satin red model a coupe while his friends took his picture! i went over and told him to get out! i dont know who owns the coupe, but im sure they wouldve been pissed if they saw that! But the crew did a great job running the show. I had a good time.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  16. thesupersized

thesupersized

here's some pictures, there were some other nice cars that i didnt get a chance to take pictures of, but here's some.....

Attached Files:

17. Metallicat

Metallicat
    BANNED
    from Bay Area

If you had your car in the show could you watch the concert for free or anything?

18. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Yes, an invitation to the car show included 2 two day concert passes...

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

at the price of them hotels they should have been included also!

20. I would like to thank Rick Dore, Dennis McPhail, Alex Gambino and the rest of the Beatniks for putting on a great show. I was honored to be considered and picked for a show that included some of the nicest rods, kustoms and muscle cars in the area. I would also like to thank James Hetfield of Metallica for hosting such a great event in New Jersey. I had a great time and would love to go back of they have it again next year. My 41 ran great coming and going and there was a cheaper motel right across from the event that I was able to get a room in when I arrived so it worked out to be an awesome weekend!

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I will be the first to admit that I was getting pretty skeptical about how this was going to go, but I have to acknowledge what a good time this show was. Rick Dore and the rest of the people responsible for the show really did a fabulous job of putting the show together, and it seemed to run pretty smoothly, especially for a first time go at it. The cars were incredible, there was great music all weekend, and I had a chance to hang with old friends and make lots of new ones as well. It's pretty awesome that James and Kirk from Metallica are into the cars we love, they make great ambassadors for the hobby. And they ROCKED.

22. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

Lol my car was gang raped all day and took a little anal bruising. I tied the doors shut sunday to keep them out but that didn't keep them out of the trunk!!!should have tied that shut too they bent the hinge besides that it was awesome. My wife had a great time as well

Attached Files:

23. WTH is wrong with people that they would just come up to your car and get in the damn thing? I mean...hell...would you just get in somebody's car in walmart parking lot?!? Hell no! You may get shot over something like that. So why would you go touching someone's property at a car show? Wouldn't that be even more of a reason NOT to touch someone's car?

24. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

??? I'm not uptight about my car.if it was some 10 year old kid,have at it maybe he'll grow up to be a hot rodder but when I removed a 25 year old from my car he said I just wanted my picture. I said ok what if I had my wife follow me in your house and take a pick of my on your couch
    would that be alright

Attached Files:

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That was really the only issue that I found with the show. For stand-alone car shows, the folks that are there are either the car owners themselves or the public who is there specifically to see a car show. This was not like that, since most of the people there were there to see the bands. Unfortunately, many are not familar with car show protocol, and DON'T know that you don't touch the cars. Cars that were inside the tent were roped off, which helped keep the public off of them, though a few drunken fools did get through and need to be forcibly removed by security. For the cars outside the tent without barriers to the people, many attendees looked at the cars like the would the cars at Mel's Diner at Disney. Basically as a prop for an impromptu photoshoot. I had to chase a few people out of the beautiful 70 SS454 Chevelle next to me, which folks liked so much they just opened the doors and climbed inside. Others laid on the cars, leaned on them, and generally molested them. I gathered that the lack of barriers for the cars outside compared to the ones inside sent an implicit message that they were OK to touch. Luckily its seemed that there was no bad damage to anybody's car, and everyone had a good time. I know I did.

26. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

Like I said it was pretty awesome.i for some reason didn't take any pics of Alex and the crew chopping the top if anybody has them.and you got a pretty cool plaque too.

Attached Files:

27. BAD72SS

BAD72SS

The show was fun . got to meet some great people. this show could become great with some tweeking. biggest was people thinking they could sit in any car they wanted . some owners wouldnt leave thier car for the whole 2 days . so they didnt get to really walk around . but still i would have taken my chevelle if i didnt brake it befor the show . i cant to thank Rick Dore enuff for alowing me to bring a replacement car at such short notice. i was there with the 47 ford pickup with the guns on the side. i had a blast both days and want to get my car there next year so i hope they DO AC in 2013.

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hey Joe....didn't Ryan have a pic from the awards ceremony? Can you send it to me? Haven't gotten anything from Steve B. or Sue yet.
    All in all it was pretty good, for a first time show, there are a few minor kinks to work out, but Kudos to Rick, Sue, Dennis, the Beatnicks, for working their tails off to get it going! Those guys were moving non stop most of the time. And Alex, Keith and the Flying Dutchman (didn't get his real name) really put on a good show chopping the Buick. I only got one shot of it, but with none of the guys working, at the moment.

Attached Files:

29. McPhail

McPhail

Although I spent a lot of my time keeping people off cars and behind the ropes, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be with people touching the cars...... that being said, There were supposed to be stakes in the ground around the outside cars with rope to keep people at a distance from the cars......I cannot tell you why that didn't happen because I never got an explanation. There were a few hiccups like that and the other one I knew of was having to get a certain wristband to be able to leave through the back parking lot....... those and other lessons were learned......
    On the other hand, I would like to thank each and every one of you guys that had the balls to subject your pride and joy to something like this that has never been attempted before. everyone i talked to was very nice and understanding about the hiccups and I think they were above and beyond the call of duty when it came to putting up with things that made this different from a 'normal' carshow. It wasn't easy to get in and out, it was expensive, and the crowds pushed the limits of acceptable behavior at times, But thanks to you guys, the ones who got it, the ones who had the balls and forsight to see what we were trying to accomplish, there were thousands of people turned on to what we do and our way of preserving history. I salute you......

30. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Dennis, I just want to thank you again for everything. You, and everyone else involved with putting this together were top shelf. I know you had lots of people asking for lots of things, and you guys were more than accommodating all weekend. I had a great time and was glad to have my car as part of this first annual event.