Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring kit for a hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobo, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Used their #15 kit in my coupe with out problems. Ran wires looms thru reproduction wire loom for a more stock look.

2. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I had actually investigated this for my '31 roadster. You can buy the cloth wrapped wire in bulk on Ebay. It comes in several different colors and sizes and is not all that expensive. What I was going to do is purchase a fuse panel (maybe even a vintage glass fuse type) and just wire the thing myself. With a roadster and a early Ford column it is not that complicated. The Harley aftermarket has wire in circuits that can provide a push button turn signal that is self canceling.

For the final point, I think that the waxed thread bundling is the balls for serious back dating a traditional vehicle.

Attached Files:

3. Tikitaxi

Tikitaxi
    from NorCal

Used American on my '56 Chevy, great kit, great support, no complaints.

4. Who makes the best basic kit for a ride that doesn't need many circuits? So many kits have way more circuits than needed for a simple system.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

In that situation the Rebel kit is perfectly fine. I used one in my 27 and was impressed with it for the money. I simply snipped out circuits I didn't need, like wipers, third brake light, heater, etc.

Don

6. Heres the thread for it :

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164464

7. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Another vote for American Autowire. Did my last project with it and zero problems. As said earlier, "You get what you pay for."

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

What are you up to building buddy? :D

9. Hey Glenn, it's some kinda old Ford truck with one of those Chevrolet motors with the goofy looking valve covers that kinda look like a W.:D

10. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Still highly recommend AAW. I like that extra un-used circuits can be left in the box instead of all coiled up under the dash.

As for cloth covering- I didn't like the multi color wires under the hood so I sleeved them w/ a nylon black braid. I've done this to 5 cars now- works out great.

11. Tacson

Tacson

thanks for the responses guys.

Don,
    I think we talked before about AAW. I had a unopened AAW Highway 15 and sold it because I thought I was going to sell a project. Now I have changed my mind. I will purchase a Highway 22 this time for the extra circuits plus Im planning to run a non-traditional OT Ford 5.0 EFI HO and AOD drivetrain

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

don when i visited naples fl it rained in the evenings,i would keep the wiper circuit just in case.it hasnt stopped raining here for months

13. Irishman

Irishman

The last loom i purchased was an EZ Wiring product. It was ok quality but some of the crimping was sub par. Ideally I'd prefer something with crimped terminals that are also soldered.
    I have to say some of the harness people appear to be sticking it to the customer with production cost vs sale price. I spent many years in a wiring harness production facility.

14. prpmmp

prpmmp

Ron Francis Wire Works!! Excellent!! Centech (spelling?) second choice. Pete