Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mr Gasket floor shifter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob68, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Rob68

Rob68

Hey all, I have a 58 Ford F100 with the 3 on the tree and was wondering if anyone has done the column to floor shift conversion with the MR Gasket shift kit? I found the MR. Gasket kit for about $50 but have heard some negative things about it. Has anyone used Mr Gasket kit. Not necessarily for my application but in general, just wondering if anyone has and why they liked or disliked it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

And yes, I have posted this in the 57-60 Fridge group, just wanted feedback from others

Thanks Rob68

2. Square One

Square One

I have it and hate it!

Do not buy, save up the cash and go with a Hurst Indy.

3. Rob68

Rob68

What do you hate about it?

4. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

I bought one, and its scrap metal.

Seriously, imagine you took a stick of metal (pot metal, that is), hooked it up to two plates as a hinge, and mounted it to the floor of your car. Thats that shifter.

No detents (except for park, if I remember correctly...and even that didn't stop anythign), it can move freely from any gear at any time with a bump. No lockout, nothing.

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I`d suggest you hawk the flea markets for a good old Hurst Comp Plus,find one with the bolt on stick. A handle for a mid 60`s mopar bench seat should put it right in your palm. Your gonna like the way it shifts.

6. Rob68

Rob68

Thanks, I'll be on the look out for that.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

i used them yrs ago. compared to hurst they are junk. but if you drive it normal and no speed shifting you might come out ok. key word====might.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have two of them brand new in boxes that I bought at a swap meet because they were cheap. They really are crap compared to a Hurst. A cheap shifter is very frustrating. Years ago we had a car with a Sparkomatic flat stick shifter and it would jam between first and second and you had to climb under and push it with your hand into place.

The Hurst on my 27 is over 20 years old and shifts like the day I installed it.

Don

9. 460stang

460stang

you know the old saying,,, you get what you pay for....i had a car years ago, went from 3 on the tree to floor shift,, cheap spark-o-matic,, what a pos that was.. i had someone give me an old hurst 3 speed shifter..what a difference, like night and day..think how often you row through the gears driving that truck.. you really want cheap in your hands while doing it..