Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Dodge Truck VIN stamped on frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AkBillyBow, Jun 19, 2012.

1. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

All, does anyone know if and where the VIN is stamped on a 1956 Dodge 1/2 ton truck (C3)? The VIN tag is missing on this truck. I have read that later years also stamped the VIN on the frame, drivers side near the steering box. I cannot find a VIN stamped there or anywhere on this truck, and cannot find any documentation stating if a VIN was stamped on these trucks (54-56 C3) anywhere other that the VIN tag on the firewall.

Does anyone know if they were stamped and where?

Thanks....AkBillyBow

2. If im not mistaken, i believe the vin was also stamped on the top dirvers side frame rail by the steering box.
    Dave

3. Brewpubeaver

Brewpubeaver

I didn't see anything on my frame. Early 55 dodge

4. My 56 Dodge had no such number on the frame...maybe thr rust erased it...same thing with the tag on the firewall...totally unreadable.

5. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

Hmmm....this does not sound good so far. Thanks for the replies!! Anyone else out there have any input?

6. Double Time Trucking

Double Time Trucking
    from Hawaii

Anyone know where I can find a tailgate, front grille or fargo hood emblem for my 56 Fargo pickup"

7. there is no such thin as a vin on a 56 dodge, it had a body number, vin did not come out till the late 50s or 1960s

8. Ahh, but yes, the Dodge DOES have a VIN. The body number is on the cowl, and is NOT used for title or registration. It should be stamped either on the driver's side upper frame rail or the side of it, near the Pitman arm. I've had a '55 and a '56, and found the numbers in these places.

9. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

I found it, I found it!! Mine is stamped on the drivers side frame rail, between the bumper and the steering box. It was on the outside of the frame rail. I had to pull the front clip off to see it.

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

AkBillyBow

10. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

11. the the body number used before vin in some states in california pre 1955 cars were titled motor numbers

12. dieseltom

dieseltom
    from wisconsin

So I have a 1956 C3 and the model number and the number on the frame rail is the same. So at least on mine they are the same.