Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Midstate Dragway, Havana ILL. In The Summer of 1971.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torkwrench, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

On a personal note...At 4:27 there is a black & white 57 Chevy, with a black primered front end. This is my older brother Bob, (hrbhrb here on The HAMB), and his 57. He has owned this car since 1969, and has drag raced it off and on, since then. He recently finished a complete body off restoration. Attached are a few pics of it, both past and present. Yeah...It still makes trips down the 1/4, (and 1/8th), mile. :cool::cool::cool:

Attached Files:

3. hutchman

hutchman

Never made it to Havana back in the day. Spent many nights at Alton and Assumption. St. Louis sometimes too. I had forgotten about the push cars and the starting procedure though.....! I remember when Assumption opened, they had roller starters for the hot cars...boy was that high tech!

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I just got off the phone with Dick Brogden and he says that the date is wrong on the vids,, his car is the red and white dragster 40 seconds in. He said that since they were pulling him back to the start it had to be 69 or 70 as he put a reverser in the car for 71.

Great movie though and its neat that you can readily identify the track even after all these years!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

5. indianhead74

indianhead74

Loved Havana and Assumption, Does anybody remember Drag City outside of Springfield , Il. ? An old Traffic light hang'in above the starting line for a christmas tree . Indy